Pre-match | Everton v Man City (Updated Pg1 Injuries and Travel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Nasri replacing Navas not lead to a different style of play? They're totally different in their approach to playing wide midfield.
So is De Bruyne compared to navas - should we not bother with him then?

Rotation is needed to keep players fresh and to get all the squad involved - possibly not for this fixture as it will be a tough one but generally speaking, rotation is a good thing.

Just remind us how much pre season and post season start Zab has had, and you honestly think because Manuel likes him, he will play.
How much did Aguero have before he was put in against Chelsea? I think Pellegrini will pick Zab. If I was picking the team, I would leave it unchanged.

The reason Silva (and Aguero) get so much more space when Navas and Sterling play is because their default position is near the touchline, so the opposition’s full backs are wider, so there’s more space in the channels. Sterling or Navas may drift inside looking for space to receive the ball, but when Nasri or Silva start wide, they usually occupy much narrower starting positions meaning the opposition back four can be more compact.

On top of this, neither Nasri or Silva offer the same sort of defensive assistance to their full back, neither have the stamina/pace of Navas or Sterling and they’re usually out of position when we lose the ball.

Also, because Navas and Sterling occupy the wide spaces, our fullbacks don’t have as much room to overlap. This means that their default positions are a lot closer to the halfway line, so we’re less vulnerable to the counter.

Playing Nasri instead of Navas changes all of the above and so greatly affects the style of our play. That’s not to say it wouldn’t be successful, it would just be very different.
Kenzie 115, you sir have a great football brain. I'm a fan :)

Rotation is needed to keep players fresh and to get all the squad involved - possibly not for this fixture as it will be a tough one but generally speaking, rotation is a good thing.

I think rotation can be a good thing for attacking players as it can help you from not becoming a predictable team, that is if you are rotating with various type of player.

Rotating the defence as we saw last season just causes uncertainty if you ask me.

No big shout but I definitely go with the ain't broke don't fix it camp. Barring any injuries all our players who have proved so effective in the two challenging games so far should have the opportunity to perform against Everton. Kompany has quoted himself and Mangala are happier and confident dealing with the opposition's attacks in one on one situations which the current personnel and style of play City are deploying allows. Why change or alter that when it's a winning formula? Everton haven't been easy nuts to crack for us in the past but why not continue with a plan the opposition, so far can't combat?

If you read my most recent post in this thread you'd see that I said swapping Navas for Nasri wouldn't necessarily be unsuccessful, it would just mean our style of play would be different. Similarly with KDB.

Obviously when you spend £50m on a player, he's going to be in the first team plans, but for me, when we're playing a side like Chelsea, Navas and Sterling are the perfect options for the wide positions. Although Everton have a different approach to the game than Chelsea, their fullbacks are still a huge part of their attack, so again, Navas and Sterling would probably be my preference.

Most Everton fans disliked Hughes and his very public handling of the Lescott situation. At the time Lescott was our best player, scored 10 a season, even though he was a defender. Was absolutely immense for us, I think he never fully recaptured his form after he left, and his England career went down the pan. But it totally ruined the start of our season. Evertonians naturally wanted to get one over City, and you can't blame them. Moyes hated City because of it, I think that was really what it was all about.

The strange thing is though, a few years down the line it showed how much of a two faced b(st@rd David Moyes can be. Evertonians gave him a standing ovation when he left. But then he comes along with a 25m bid for both Baines and Fellaini at the start of our season (doing what City did to us). BUT Then he had the cheek to say "Everton should let them go to further their careers, I always done what was best for my players". When everyone knew he fumed at City and told Lescott he was going nowhere until he made that shocking appearance for us against Arsenal.

It's just like the Stones Chelsea situation now. Again, we have a decent 11, if it sticks together. But we have Mourinho sniffing about very publicly about signing one of our central defenders, even though we only have 2. I think though if Stones goes, then there will be more than planes flying over the stadium asking for KenwrightandCO out. Who haven't invested anything into EFC for the past 16 years.

There will be a massive noise at Goodison, and I'm sure the players will raise their game. Which is friggin annoying as a fan because they should do that every week. To be honest, I haven't a clue what the result will be other than there will be more than 2 goals and City will at least score 1. The days when Everton kept a clean sheet in consecutive games has long gone.
Interesting to read a lot of that, cheers for posting!

I have to say, during my early teens when I really got into watching football, Everton were our biggest bogey side, you beat us home and away every year! I'm going on Sunday but I'm still not confident going to Goodison, we should win, but probably won't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.