Pre match thread : Borussia Monchengladbach away CL

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the youth team's starting eleven and subs, it seems clear that Barker and Ambrose (given we have 7 injuries) will be included on the bench tonight as well as one of Maffeo/Evans. Both can sort of play CB which we lack now, though hopefully they won't be needed there.

Very interesting comments regarding our indifference to the Champions League. I agree that we're missing that huge knockout win to maybe get everyone onside and believing again. A few pundits are using the "novice" excuse too often in my opinion though. Spurs reached the quarterfinals in their first ever Champions League campaign, granted they probably had an easier group than what we've had to contend with, so it's not about getting used to the competition for me, it's about getting the shape and tactics right and playing a European game so to speak, as other have said.
Players like Silva, Yaya, Nasri, Aguero, Clichy, Fernandinho etc all had huge Champions League/European experience before joining us, so when looked at from that point of view, it's got to be a managerial issue. Think back to last season and starting a knockout tie with Barcelona with Dzeko and Aguero up top as well as Fernando and Milner on their own in a midfield two. I think we need to be more streetwise than that and it should not be taking this long to find the formula. This group is winnable and it will cost Pellers his job if we fail again, in my opinion.

Very interesting comments regarding our indifference to the Champions League. I agree that we're missing that huge knockout win to maybe get everyone onside and believing again. A few pundits are using the "novice" excuse too often in my opinion though. Spurs reached the quarterfinals in their first ever Champions League campaign, granted they probably had an easier group than what we've had to contend with, so it's not about getting used to the competition for me, it's about getting the shape and tactics right and playing a European game so to speak, as other have said.
Players like Silva, Yaya, Nasri, Aguero, Clichy, Fernandinho etc all had huge Champions League/European experience before joining us, so when looked at from that point of view, it's got to be a managerial issue. Think back to last season and starting a knockout tie with Barcelona with Dzeko and Aguero up top as well as Fernando and Milner on their own in a midfield two. I think we need to be more streetwise than that and it should not be taking this long to find the formula. This group is winnable and it will cost Pellers his job if we fail again, in my opinion.

No doubt it will cost his job , we would have replaced him had a better manager to take us to the next level in terms of what is required been available but some of the blame lies in the mental state of the players you mention and their ability to outsmart European opposition even Barca over two legs.

Jesus Christ, a lot of fannywipes here isn't there?!

City to win 1-3, after going 0-2 up first half, early second half goal for us to go 3 ahead before allowing BMG a late consolation.

Have faith Blues.

I wonder how many times a similar post has been made before a champions league game.

We've been here before and the outcome is usually the same (disappointment)

Not being a fanny, just realistic based on previous champions league nights.

Anyway 2-2 tonight.

The club (players, fans ... everyone) can't seem to lose the general air of negativity around this competition. Our record is abysmal, although being knocked out by the eventual winners last year doesn't count as a gripe, exactly but the overall campaign wasn't that brilliant. It hasn't helped that we are consistently drawn in difficult groups whilst the Chavs get a virtual by and the Gooners lose to crap that we would probably beat. Adds to the annoyance.

We need to win tonight but I'm not all that confident I think the injuries might do for us yet again.

More to the point is why is there such an apathy in a lot of the players when they pull on the blue shirt. Without Vinny we have no leader and therefore no-one to lead by example on the pitch. If we show the same apathy on the pitch tonight as we did in the 2nd half against Spurs we will get soundly beaten.

Possibly we would be... however this season we're seeing the other English teams struggle domestically and in Europe (despite their groups being a lot better on paper than ours).

If we win tonight, and beat Newcastle then we could be in a strong position in the group as well as top of the league come the end of this weekends fixtures.
Not if the rags beat Arsenal, we won't, and having seen the fiasco last night, I fear the worst.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.