Premier League agrees the "New Deal for Football" aka please don't regulate us.

Like Manchester United for example.

Is it just CL league teams who are exempt or Europa and Conference league too?
Well United last won it in 2017 so that was only a few years ago, they're not really a new name.
I was thinking more along the lines of Newcastle or West Ham etc.
I think that it's any team who qualify for a European competition,but I'm not 100% sure, so don't take that as gospel.

Well United last won it in 2017 so that was only a few years ago, they're not really a new name.
I was thinking more along the lines of Newcastle or West Ham etc.
I think that it's any team who qualify for a European competition,but I'm not 100% sure, so don't take that as gospel.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. Yes - if we are not in it, I suppose I would be cheering on Newcastle (67 years since their last trophy) - https://lastwonatrophy.co.uk/
However, would it be something of a hollow victory if not all teams enter it?

I understand the congestion angle, but my preference would be to continue it and say only players under-23 can play. Or alternatively, just retire the whole League Cup and consign it to history.

Well put.

The League Cup experience as a fan has been miles better than the FA Cup experience.

I don't want us to withdraw from this, rather we played a young side in the early rounds alongside us playing these pointless European group games and then hopefully we're still in it come the semi-finals/final.
Ticket prices for the FA Cup final were an absolute joke compared to the League cup at the same venue. When you are paying over £100 for a low/mid tier seat plus the price of the commute to London it leaves a bit of a sour taste!

Preferred the League cup days out

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest. Yes - if we are not in it, I suppose I would be cheering on Newcastle (67 years since their last trophy) - https://lastwonatrophy.co.uk/
However, would it be something of a hollow victory if not all teams enter it?

I understand the congestion angle, but my preference would be to continue it and say only players under-23 can play. Or alternatively, just retire the whole League Cup and consign it to history.
Would be troublesome to arrange with the Papa Johns Trophy too. After all, our U23's had a game in that competition on Tuesday the day before we played Chelsea. Was probably one of the reasons why we didn't have more kids on the bench on Wednesday.

Would be troublesome to arrange with the Papa Johns Trophy too. After all, our U23's had a game in that competition on Tuesday the day before we played Chelsea. Was probably one of the reasons why we didn't have more kids on the bench on Wednesday.
Oh I didn't know about that (Papa Johns trophy) and I assume if that pizza company have signed up to sponsorship for x years that can't just be cancelled. But at some point in the future, that under-23 cup could be replaced by the Carabou could it not?

I mean we all know the Carabou is the least important of the domestic cups, but at least I know about it (unlike Papa Johns!) and I am sad we are not going to be in it soon. As I have said, whoever does win it when the clubs in Europe don't enter, well it would be a pyrrhic victory.

Perhaps make the Carabou Cup for Championship and League One teams only - I'd be happier with that.

EFL have a glorious opportunity here.

Fuck off VAR for the tournament and sell it as the only proper football trophy in England.

It will get fans in and TV viewers by being about the fans emotions. Real emotions not held back because they are waiting for some **** in truck to tell them it's a goal.

Fuck off VAR for the tournament and sell it as the only proper football trophy in England.

It will get fans in and TV viewers by being about the fans emotions. Real emotions not held back because they are waiting for some **** in truck to tell them it's a goal.
And they wouldn't have to worry about the rags and dippers getting dodgy decisions as they won't be in it.

Oh I didn't know about that (Papa Johns trophy) and I assume if that pizza company have signed up to sponsorship for x years that can't just be cancelled. But at some point in the future, that under-23 cup could be replaced by the Carabou could it not?

I mean we all know the Carabou is the least important of the domestic cups, but at least I know about it (unlike Papa Johns!) and I am sad we are not going to be in it soon. As I have said, whoever does win it when the clubs in Europe don't enter, well it would be a pyrrhic victory.

Perhaps make the Carabou Cup for Championship and League One teams only - I'd be happier with that.
It's not an U23's cup per se.

What is Papa Johns Trophy?

The Papa John's Trophy - formerly EFL Trophy - features clubs from League One and League Two, as well as invited academies from the Premier League and Championship.

It blatantly doesn’t get fans’ juices flowing, unless a minnow plays a giant.

If the sides in Europe didn’t enter, then clubs in the Championship might take it slightly more seriously as they have a little bit more of a chance, but apart from the prestige of winning the trophy, there’s little financial incentive for teams to progress, barring gate receipts.

VAR isn’t an issue for 72 clubs in England. It wouldn’t be any kind of marketing pull to their fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.