Premier League agrees the "New Deal for Football" aka please don't regulate us.

The winners currently go into the Euro Conference, and it's likely they'll be at least as good as 80% of other teams in it, so them not being in Europe when they win the LC won't dimising the Conference.
It seems a long time since the LC winners didn't also qualify for CL or TL via league position.
Was it Birmingham City in 2009.
They are the last team outside of "the big six" who I can think of to win the League Cup.

It's wank that a cup competition that has been going for over 60 years is basically reduced to shit just so a few more soulless games in Europe can be squeezed in. All in the name of money too.

We've also won it 8 times and to have been the side that have won it the most times would have been decent. Sadly that opportunity is being taken away.

Wouldn't it be a better option to allow these who are participating in European competition to field an U23's side instead? (If they choose to).

I've always enjoyed the League Cup games, especially the semi's and final. In more recent seasons it's been a great opportunity to see a few young players get a chance to play, sometimes against other big English teams who will also play a few youth players. Far more interesting than watching us play a dead rubber in the group stage of a European competition.

Most unhappy. It was late '75 when I happened to attend an early round, Mansfield 4-2 (edit), got hooked to City, and subsequently managed to get a Wembley ticket by buying someone's programme vouchers. No-one told me at the time that the next 32yrs of being a season-ticket holder may be so painful, with occasional bright notes (23/09/89), or that I should beg/borrow/steal to keep the s/t from '09 despite redundancy and living down south by then - how's yer luck..?
So I don't like the idea that the league cup should be ruined by discounting euro-qualified teams, I never even liked the regular suggestions that the semi should be reduced to a one-off game - I think the expanded away allocations make for terrific semis home and away and give the tournament another unique angle, as well as the 3-handled pot, which is rather more handsome (classy), imo, than the trophies for either the PL or CL!

I fear this might be the end for me watching City live. More meaningless European matches and the loss of great trophy.

Travelling from Edinburgh for home matches is becoming next to impossible with the world’s worse train companies Avanti and TPE bogging up most weeks.

No more League Cup??
I have had some great days out at Wembley for League Cup Finals in the last 10 years,so that is a bit disappointing,but I suppose it will help relieve some of the fixture congestion that the top sides get.
Plus it will allow some new names to go on the League Cup.
Like Manchester United for example.

Is it just CL league teams who are exempt or Europa and Conference league too?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.