Press hitting us really hard at the moment

winnie said:
Tarnats left peg said:
i've watched all the pre season games and i still can't work out what kind of system we are trying to play.

over the next 2 games I'm sure we'll see a different city, this trip to the states was just a working holiday!

And looks like we treated it this way also - ie a holiday.

winnie said:
Tarnats left peg said:
i've watched all the pre season games and i still can't work out what kind of system we are trying to play.

over the next 2 games I'm sure we'll see a different city, this trip to the states was just a working holiday!
I saw about 5 of Liverpools pre-season games last year, they lost most of them and played terrible yet the fans were saying "pre-season means nothing", "training exercise", "when the season starts, we will play a lot better" etc, well guess what, the season started and they were just as terrible than they were in the pre-season games!.
These games DO matter, especialy in the sense of getting the team up to speed in the way they will play and the style of football they will play in the first few games of the season, anyone who thinks these games mean nothing just doesn't realy understand football.

Tarnats left peg said:
winnie said:
In what game have we fielded a team that will be even close to the team that starts against spurs? Half our players ain't even in the states! The team against Dortmund and Valencia will be stronger with better players getting more game time! Pre season ain't about winning it's about trying new things, formations, partnerships, set pieces and for fitness! Stop panicing cos we ain't won a friendly!!! Who gives a fuck

There isn`t one at the moment because we`ve still NOT got our full compiment of players back.I would suggest you look at what Booby Manc is trying to do overall with this tour.
Thats to sort the wheat from the chaff.Pretty easy for most unblinkered fans to see which players on tour are NOT good enough and subsequently they will be shipped out or NOT included in the 25 man squad.

winnie said:
Tarnats left peg said:

I hope you are right.The positive in me says the squad were told to play deep,not worry about keeping the ball and to use the time to get some running in to reach match fitness.The negative in me says that they haven;t a clue on the system.I can;t decide,only wait.LOL.The season can;t come to soon for me..

Tarnats left peg said:
winnie said:
In what game have we fielded a team that will be even close to the team that starts against spurs? Half our players ain't even in the states! The team against Dortmund and Valencia will be stronger with better players getting more game time! Pre season ain't about winning it's about trying new things, formations, partnerships, set pieces and for fitness! Stop panicing cos we ain't won a friendly!!! Who gives a fuck

Have Kolarov, Silva, Boateng and Tevez played in those games, you know, 4 of our most important players? How can we possibly play the way we will in the PL with those 4 players not in the team at present? The states trip was a PR and fitness outing, thats it. Mancini will know how he wants us to play, otherwise he wouldn't have bought those new payers to fit in with his game. i wish people wouldn't bother watching pre season, because all its doing is spawning a breed of demoralised, confused and pissed off people who just want to moan about every single thing they can find to moan about. I care only about what 11 is put out v Spurs, and what that 11 does. Pre-season is completely and utterly meaningless.

i8therags said:
winnie said:
I hope you are right.The positive in me says the squad were told to play deep,not worry about keeping the ball and to use the time to get some running in to reach match fitness.The negative in me says that they haven;t a clue on the system.I can;t decide,only wait.LOL.The season can;t come to soon for me..
That made me laugh.

Mastes1 said:
winnie said:
I saw about 5 of Liverpools pre-season games last year, they lost most of them and played terrible yet the fans were saying "pre-season means nothing", "training exercise", "when the season starts, we will play a lot better" etc, well guess what, the season started and they were just as terrible than they were in the pre-season games!.
These games DO matter, especialy in the sense of getting the team up to speed in the way they will play and the style of football they will play in the first few games of the season, anyone who thinks these games mean nothing just doesn't realy understand football.

Mate it's not a simple as you make out. Anyone who thinks a pre-season friendly game in terms of playing a certain shape in July prepares the team for a specific PL game in August shows they dont really understand football. City will play a style in the philosophy of the manager tactically, and adapt from time to time depending on the particular opposition they are playing. We all know City's style. He is going to play 4 at the back, 2 holding, 2 wide players and so on. That's not new. He might flirt with variations, and try 4-4-2 at some point, but the idea we will play a style against Inter, because we are going to use that style against Spurs is far too over simplified. There are lots of other considerations, injuries, international friendly the week before the season, new signings, players leaving, the MAIN purpose of these friendlies are to work on fitness and recovery. Anyone in sport science will tell you pre-season is becoming less and less about the football side and more about physiology. I am not making excuses for poor performances. We should still defend better, pass the ball better, keep larger percentages of possession, but don't over react to friendly games meaning we are going to be badly prepared in late August/Sept.

oakiecokie said:
Tarnats left peg said:

There isn`t one at the moment because we`ve still NOT got our full compiment of players back.I would suggest you look at what Booby Manc is trying to do overall with this tour.
Thats to sort the wheat from the chaff.Pretty easy for most unblinkered fans to see which players on tour are NOT good enough and subsequently they will be shipped out or NOT included in the 25 man squad.

imoa it shouldn't matter if you play your strongest 11 or a team full of kids you should play the system that you will play in the season. that way everybody knows what to do if they get called up when they are needed.

dctid said:
gio's side step said:
Must be quite dull being a fan of everyone else.

Enjoy it. I am. We are the rock n roll stars of football

No we are not - we are making ourselves look a bunch of twats - every fookin team wants to beat us and every team is / will raise there game against us by 10% and on this tour so far we have failed to match any team

They were doing that last season and we nearly got fourth

and even if teams do up their games against us, we still have what it takes to beat most

what pisses me off is that we constantly fail to deliever

Let's remember we are constantly failing to deliver on more and more ambitious targets.

A couple of seasons ago the target was 'European football' and we missed out on that by a place or two. Last season the target was 'champions league' and we missed out by a place. We also wanted 'a wembley final' and we were pipped in the 93rd minute of the second leg of the semi final by the rags. (In a game which, satisfyingly, cost them the title, if you remember the decision to play Ferdinand and the extended ban they gave him).

What is the betting we reach a cup final this year and lose it? What is the betting that if our target is the title, we miss out again and come third?

The truth is, however, that we are getting better and better and our targets are getting higher and higher. And they will continue to do so. When we win our first trophy, the next target will be a better trophy - if we win the CC it will be the FAC or the EPL - if we win the league, our next target will be the CL. And so it goes on. In a few years, let's hope that our target is the treble and we only win the EPL and the champions league.

We are getting better and better all the time. Let's enjoy the ride, let's remember the trips to York and Colchester, let's remember not scoring at home between new years day and the middle of august, let's remember Steve Daley and Gerry Creaney, and let's not lose faith in where we are going.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.