Previous UK government ‘covered up’ financial turmoil ahead of election

after the decades of gaslighting, incompetence, dishonesty, corruption and downright nastiness of the last Government I find it astonishing the numbers that still come on here attacking the new Government. Action is needed and not all of it will be palatable. The alternative is as a country we continue to spiral downwards into the pit the Tories have crafted.
To be fair, it’s just the zealots at this point.

Plenty of reasonable Tory blues have and continue to acknowledge the incompetence and corruption of the previous government and have said they support Labour attempts to right the ship.

Who was defining being rich as “owning personal possessions above £6k”?

Did you mean to respond to some else?
….I quoted your post where you mentioned the tories would be convincing constituents that it’s a ‘working people’s tax’ by convincing them they’ll pay it when they become rich…..I was pointing out that according to the Govt website you would pay CGT on personal possessions over £6k and hence don’t need to be rich to pay it…

after the decades of gaslighting, incompetence, dishonesty, corruption and downright nastiness of the last Government I find it astonishing the numbers that still come on here attacking the new Government. Action is needed and not all of it will be palatable. The alternative is as a country we continue to spiral downwards into the pit the Tories have crafted.
Their pain is deep

As I say, if the Tories had done it, there would be total uproar.
Labour do it and its all justifiable. Laughable.
The Tories did much much worse in their tenure, now Labour are having to make these decisions to right the ship. Surely you are intelligent enough to know this, or are you?

But, as is so often the case, the Tories will convince their constituencies it is by saying “when you become rich, do you want to pay this”?

Absolutely. It's a truly bizarre situation that so many people think IHT is unfair and would scrap it, when it affects so few people.

If you told the majority you were introducing a tax that would target just the richest few percent, they'd be all for it.

….I quoted your post where you mentioned the tories would be convincing constituents that it’s a ‘working people’s tax’ by convincing them they’ll pay it when they become rich…..I was pointing out that according to the Govt website you would pay CGT on personal possessions over £6k and hence don’t need to be rich to pay it…
I edited my post to clarify that I was referring to the ploy of making people that will never reach a level of wealth that CGT or any other tax policy targeted at the top wealth deciles would have any measurable impact believe that they will one day be wealthy and thus should oppose any rise in taxation on the wealthy. I see the confusion after the fact, so apologies.

But, related to that, how many outside of the top half of the wealth distribution do you believe would have to pay CGT in any given year, given it is paid on individual possessions over £6k?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.