Prime Aguero or present Haaland

Current Aguero is a 35-year-old ex-player with heart issue and completely out of shape to play at the highest level.

Haaland has also fair share of big match winning moments (United, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.)

A striker is judged for his goalscoring production. The main objective in a football game is to win games by outscoring your opponent.

With Haaland, Man City have basically a 1-0 lead before the game has even started.

I am a massive, massive fan of Haaland. But with your reasoning of "having more to his game", do you assume the likes of Alexander Isak, Darwin Nunez, Julian Alvarez, Gabriel Jesus, Ivan Toney etc. are superior all-around strikers than Haaland for that reason? And I haven't even mentioned strikers outside the Prem.

Produce goals out of nothing ≠ better player

Looking Haaland and Aguero respective numbers between the age of 18-23, it's safe to assume Haaland's stats completely blows Aguero out of the water in comparison.

If Man City needed a striker and both Haaland and Aguero were available on the market as 21 year olds, everyone would choose Haaland without a doubt.

Absolutely, and this is something a lot of people don't really seem to realize. Haaland makes loads of runs that's getting ignored by his teammates.

Pep clearly doesn’t use Haaland's strenghts to it's full potential and the Norweigan is still an outrageous goalscoring machine. It's a testamente of his insane talent.

Haaland (and Mbappe) are the only active U25 players who could retire today as one of the best forwards in history. Haaland's numbers are ridiculous for Norway and every club bar Molde.

You also forgot Haaland is objectively a far superior goalscorer, the only thing that matters when it comes to strikers.

Prime Aguero was never a goalscoring phenom like Haaland who has produced over 1 goal a game regardless of competiton or the level of quality of his supporting cast.

Absolutely no way he would score ton in the current iteration of Man City.

Aguero played in inferior Man City teams? The Centurions + 2018-19 Man City are some of the best teams in Premier League history...

Yeah, Haaland equalled Aguero’s highest goalscoring EPL record in February or something lol.

You a fan of Erling by any chance? It's hard to tell................

Who's upset? No one is doubting that Erling bagged an unbelievable number of goals for us last season and hopefully this season continues.

But the world is full of people who are quick to forget just how wonderful Sergio was now the new toy has arrived. Hopefully the Video will remind some just how amazing he was, over a long period of time and despite almost being sidelined by Pep.

Look at the first 50 PL goals scored by Erling. 48 of those were inside the box and I've yet to see him score a goal as wonderful as Sergio's against Liverpool, (although his reverse high-kick was spesh). For me Sergio was just the more complete player who could run with the ball and finish at speed, whereas Erling is the more traditional Number 9, proper goal poacher.

Agreed on your view about comparison threads, they never end well.
Tbf I think 99% of replies have said Sergio so not sure anyone is forgetting anything.

Some people seem to be a bit defensive, as if mentally preparing for Haaland's departure...Lol.

Nothing is certain. He might stay longer than expected. He has done the incredible helping us to win those missing trophies for us, the Quintuple :)

Think people will change their responses in several months, partly because he will remind them how good he is, partly because he may sign a contract extension.

Prime Aguero was never a goalscoring phenom like Haaland who has produced over 1 goal a game regardless of competiton or the level of quality of his supporting cast.
I realise it was a long post, but this stood out for me.

Prior to Haaland coming to City, Aguero had, by some distance, the best goal scoring rate in the Premier League. When you consider he was ahead of the likes of Henry, Kane, Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Salah, Suarez, Shearer etc., it's clear he was one of the greatest ever.

Haaland is currently on another level in terms of goal scoring - he is a genuine phenomenon. So far he's blown away the scoring rate set by Sergio, and while he's slowed down slightly, it's not looking like he'll stop scoring any time soon.

But as has been pointed out many times, since he arrived City haven't been scoring more goals. Haaland is far and away the best goalscorer in the World, and could well be end up the best of all time. In terms of the rest of his game, he's nowhere near the level of his team mates - and that's why he doesn't make City a much better team, despite scoring at a rate we've never seen before. That's not a slight, as City have some of the best technical players in the World.

As I said in my first post here, he's the most un-Pep player in some ways. and I love watching the way Pep is dealing with the challenge of playing him. He's also very Pep-like in that he's intelligent, and clearly wants to become a better player, and I hope he stays a while, so we can see how he adapts, and if he does become a lot more than a goalscorer. If he doesn't he'll still probably win a few balon d'ors, because he is that good.

Sergio may only be the second best goal scorer in PL history now, but he was so much more than that too.

Who's upset? No one is doubting that Erling bagged an unbelievable number of goals for us last season and hopefully this season continues.

But the world is full of people who are quick to forget just how wonderful Sergio was now the new toy has arrived. Hopefully the Video will remind some just how amazing he was, over a long period of time and despite almost being sidelined by Pep.

Look at the first 50 PL goals scored by Erling. 48 of those were inside the box and I've yet to see him score a goal as wonderful as Sergio's against Liverpool, (although his reverse high-kick was spesh). For me Sergio was just the more complete player who could run with the ball and finish at speed, whereas Erling is the more traditional Number 9, proper goal poacher.

Agreed on your view about comparison threads, they never end well.
Nope they never do and imo it just causes arguments and disagreements ha.

Aguero is my all time favourite player closely followed by David & Kevin I loved him :)

Imagine having them both play together? Wow

In terms of the rest of his game, he's nowhere near the level of his team mates - and that's why he doesn't make City a much better team, despite scoring at a rate we've never seen before. That's not a slight, as City have some of the best technical players in the World.

Agree with much of what you say, but it's impossible to make City a much better team than it was before Haaland. City played exceptional football in 21/22 (without Aguero, btw), and could be a lot closer to the Treble if it wasn't for a bad injury crisis, which helped Liverpool and Real beat us in the cups.

To make that City team 'much better' would be to make it the greatest football side ever. Haaland made it slightly better which was enough for the Quintuple :)

I think Haaland's qualities are downplayed a bit in the thread. I don't think there's a top manager out there who would pick Aguero over Haaland. Haaland's record in the CL is so much better than Aguero's that people should try to see reality for what it is. Aguero's outstanding record is almost entirely PL based, and even there Haaland's goal involvements (goals/assists) are on a different level.

Agree with much of what you say, but it's impossible to make City a much better team than it was before Haaland. City played exceptional football in 21/22 (without Aguero, btw), and could be a lot closer to the Treble if it wasn't for a bad injury crisis, which helped Liverpool and Real beat us in the cups.

To make that City team 'much better' would be to make it the greatest football side ever. Haaland made it slightly better which was enough for the Quintuple :)

I think Haaland's qualities are downplayed a bit in the thread. I don't think there's a top manager out there who would pick Aguero over Haaland. Haaland's record in the CL is so much better than Aguero's that people should try to see reality for what it is. Aguero's outstanding record is almost entirely PL based, and even there Haaland's goal involvements (goals/assists) are on a different level.
43 Champions League goals in 69 appearances for City suggests Aguero is a little more than just a Premier League player I would say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.