Prog rock

True their albums prior to David Longdon (singer) joining in 2009 are on the whole dissapointing, since 2009 they are essentially a new band, Ie incorporating new World Class musicians eg, Dave Gregory (XTC) & Nick D'Virgillio on drums & a Brass Band ensemble, give English Electic Full Power a spin, there are still obvious Genesis influences here & there (particularly in the Song - The First Rebreather) & it that doesn't float your boat they're probably not for you.
i did get a free copy of Bard sent to me by the Band, I think, back in late 90s & it was awful, the singer sounded like nails down a blackboard.
Interesting. I was doing the albums in Spotify date order, which is pretty random it seems and not usually complete. Looking at the band bio I can see that English Boy Wonders was a re-release in 2008 of a 1997 recording, hence the sudden change in style (and lead singer of course) from Gathering Speed (2004) and The Difference Machine (2007) - those being the 'earliest' 2 albums on Spotify. I was beginning to wonder why you classed the lead singer as World Class! (Think it was you). I'll certainly give the later albums with the latest vocalist a fair go.

Interesting. I was doing the albums in Spotify date order, which is pretty random it seems and not usually complete. Looking at the band bio I can see that English Boy Wonders was a re-release in 2008 of a 1997 recording, hence the sudden change in style (and lead singer of course) from Gathering Speed (2004) and The Difference Machine (2007) - those being the 'earliest' 2 albums on Spotify. I was beginning to wonder why you classed the lead singer as World Class! (Think it was you). I'll certainly give the later albums with the latest vocalist a fair go.
Yes those albums are with the 2/3 diferrent singers they had prior to 2009, as I say different Band, I'd imagine that Spotify has them as later due to them being re-mastered or some other nonsense. the albums with Dave Longdon & in reality a different band, there's only 1 member left of that orginal Band, (yes he's World Class & yes there appears to be a lot of WC musos in this band now :) are:-
The Underfall Yard
English Electric Pt 1 & Pt 2 (AKA EE Full Power)
Folklore
Grimspound
Grand Tour

2nd Brightest Star is really an outakes & extended song version of Folklore & Grimspound though a good album it's probably not the most reprosentative of their output.

I bought Drama years ago, played bits of it, realised I thought it was an awful album and never touched it again.
I’ve just acquired it again on ye olde CD, and the penny has just dropped. I’m hooked on its rhythms, and especially on Chris Squire’s playing.
You can really tell Anderson’s not around by the lack of twee acoustic numbers, and it definitely has a heavier edge. I can also glimpse tantalising snatches of the guitar playing we’d hear on Asia a couple of years later.
Not so keen on the 5th of the 6 tracks but the others are first class.

I am thinking that post 90s Prog has now had long enough to warrant its own category...
My favourites list now include The Deer Hunter...

My go to millennial prog includes:
Porcupine Tree
Steve Wilson
Riverside
Sylvan
Devin Townsend
Flower Kings
Transatlantic
Opeth
Muse
Vulgar Unicorn
Hogaths Marillion upto Marbles

Occasional albums by
Big Big Train (English Electric)
RPWL
PFM
Lunatic Soul

Tried but failed to get excited by others :
Pineapple Theif
Anathema
Haken

Yes also had a rich run of form with...
Talk
Key Studio
The Ladder
Magnification

Prog Metal also has had it moments ...
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Vanden Plas (most)

I bought Drama years ago, played bits of it, realised I thought it was an awful album and never touched it again.
I’ve just acquired it again on ye olde CD, and the penny has just dropped. I’m hooked on its rhythms, and especially on Chris Squire’s playing.
You can really tell Anderson’s not around by the lack of twee acoustic numbers, and it definitely has a heavier edge. I can also glimpse tantalising snatches of the guitar playing we’d hear on Asia a couple of years later.
Not so keen on the 5th of the 6 tracks but the others are first class.

I always thought Drama was a nod back towards The Yes Album with the reliance on bass lines and riffs. I loved the Yes Album. Drama is up there as one of my favourites as well, ahead of Tales and Relayer...

I am thinking that post 90s Prog has now had long enough to warrant its own category...
My favourites list now include The Deer Hunter...

My go to millennial prog includes:
Porcupine Tree
Steve Wilson
Riverside
Sylvan
Devin Townsend
Flower Kings
Transatlantic
Opeth
Muse
Vulgar Unicorn
Hogaths Marillion upto Marbles

Occasional albums by
Big Big Train (English Electric)
RPWL
PFM
Lunatic Soul

Tried but failed to get excited by others :
Pineapple Theif
Anathema
Haken

Yes also had a rich run of form with...
Talk
Key Studio
The Ladder
Magnification

Prog Metal also has had it moments ...
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Vanden Plas (most)
That top 3 is bang on and I would also add IQ.

Other bands like Abel Ganz and Airbag also worth a listen.

That top 3 is bang on and I would also add IQ.

Other bands like Abel Ganz and Airbag also worth a listen.
I have seen IQ several times and got Airbag albums. I find IQ, Arena, Pendragon, Palas too neo prog for my tastes although each have an occasional album I really like.

Never heard of Abel Ganz so will check them out. Thanks for the tip...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.