Prog rock

I bought Drama years ago, played bits of it, realised I thought it was an awful album and never touched it again.
I’ve just acquired it again on ye olde CD, and the penny has just dropped. I’m hooked on its rhythms, and especially on Chris Squire’s playing.
You can really tell Anderson’s not around by the lack of twee acoustic numbers, and it definitely has a heavier edge. I can also glimpse tantalising snatches of the guitar playing we’d hear on Asia a couple of years later.
Not so keen on the 5th of the 6 tracks but the others are first class.

Do we have two Prog threads going on ?
I remember being absolutely torn when Anderson/Wakeman left.
Drama was a good pick me up though especially Machine Messiah, Does it Really Happen and Tempus Fugit.
MM still sounds fresh and vibrant today and DIRH is so typically Yes sounding.
Squire and Howe were on fire and I remember seeing this iteration at Hammersmith in 1980.
I think Run through the Light could have been an Anderson song but not sure.

I have seen IQ several times and got Airbag albums. I find IQ, Arena, Pendragon, Palas too neo prog for my tastes although each have an occasional album I really like.

Never heard of Abel Ganz so will check them out. Thanks for the tip...
I’ve got the odd Arena, Pendragon and Flower Kings album.
I do love a it of Dream Theater too

Do we have two Prog threads going on ?
I remember being absolutely torn when Anderson/Wakeman left.
Drama was a good pick me up though especially Machine Messiah, Does it Really Happen and Tempus Fugit.
MM still sounds fresh and vibrant today and DIRH is so typically Yes sounding.
Squire and Howe were on fire and I remember seeing this iteration at Hammersmith in 1980.
I think Run through the Light could have been an Anderson song but not sure.
That would explain why that song sounds a bit different perhaps. I’ll be that tour was a good one, though reading about it now the view seems to be held that US audiences loved it but that UK fans were a bit more divided and some booing took place re Horn, which seems a real shame if so…

(And apols if there’s another thread - couldn’t spot it - I just searched for ‘Prog’!)

That would explain why that song sounds a bit different perhaps. I’ll be that tour was a good one, though reading about it now the view seems to be held that US audiences loved it but that UK fans were a bit more divided and some booing took place re Horn, which seems a real shame if so…

(And apols if there’s another thread - couldn’t spot it - I just searched for ‘Prog’!)
I don’t remember any booing at Hammersmith. It was great for me to see my hero Chris Squire.

I don’t remember any booing at Hammersmith. It was great for me to see my hero Chris Squire.
Travelled down from Cumbria to see Yes Drama in Manchester at the Apollo I think. Was well received and a good gig but not everyone was happy. Saw them many times before and after. Always best with Jon Anderson at the helm. Post 2005 been terrible live. AWR were the best since Jon left.
Best Yes gig and best Gig I have ever attended was the Royal Albert Hall gigs February 2000. Royal Box and Awaken landed on me like a bolt from heaven. I was reduced to a quivering wreck both nights... Never experienced anything like it until that 93:20 moment at the Etihad...

Travelled down from Cumbria to see Yes Drama in Manchester at the Apollo I think. Was well received and a good gig but not everyone was happy. Saw them many times before and after. Always best with Jon Anderson at the helm. Post 2005 been terrible live. AWR were the best since Jon left.
Best Yes gig and best Gig I have ever attended was the Royal Albert Hall gigs February 2000. Royal Box and Awaken landed on me like a bolt from heaven. I was reduced to a quivering wreck both nights... Never experienced anything like it until that 93:20 moment at the Etihad...
Yeah, the ARW gig at the Apollo was fantastic - and filmed for the dvd which is always a bonus.
Maybe that’s an idea for a thread; live recordings I was at/on! My only other one (that I know of) was Rush at the NEC in 88 which appeared as the Show of Hands VHS.

Yeah, the ARW gig at the Apollo was fantastic - and filmed for the dvd which is always a bonus.
Maybe that’s an idea for a thread; live recordings I was at/on! My only other one (that I know of) was Rush at the NEC in 88 which appeared as the Show of Hands VHS.
The ARW gig at Manchester holds a special place for me. A family had turned up because the young father, brother, son had recently passed away and he had lived Yes. They had bonded over their memories of him listening to them but couldn't get seats close together. We gave up our seats for them so they could sit together. Seeing them in tears, singing along and hugging was a highlight of my life. Thing was, we only found out through general chat, they didn't ask... Thank goodness my wife is a chatty kind...

The ARW gig at Manchester holds a special place for me. A family had turned up because the young father, brother, son had recently passed away and he had lived Yes. They had bonded over their memories of him listening to them but couldn't get seats close together. We gave up our seats for them so they could sit together. Seeing them in tears, singing along and hugging was a highlight of my life. Thing was, we only found out through general chat, they didn't ask... Thank goodness my wife is a chatty kind...
Wonderful, truly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.