Prog rock

Do we have two Prog threads going on ?
We certainly do.

Gutted that Pendragon aren’t on Spotify. I still love their first album.
I bought The Masquerade Overture which I love but then got Not of this World which I rarely ever play.
I think the latter seemed more Floyd influenced. I do like Clive Nolan’s keyboards though.

Prog in the 80s was a hard ask for me.I never liked neo prog ... Apart from Misplaced Childhood.
My Prog tendencies were better met through bands like Talk Talk and The The.
The The Mind Bomb with Mr Marr on guitar is musically layered, not a million miles away from Crime of the Century with both it's lyrical conceits but instrumenting of atmospheric mouth organ, sparse drumming and spatial sound scapes.
Simple Minds with Street Fighting Years is Floydian in parts, folky in others and even covers Peter Gabriel.
Talk Talks last 3 Albums get more prog as you go along. Great stuff, experimental sound scapes and textures.
Of course some of the traditional bands were still pulling up trees. King Crimson produced 2 and a half brilliant albums (not quite three of a perfect pair).
I like Yes Big Generator as a rock album but it's not Prog to my ears and Genesis had long lost its Prog credentials.

Prog in the 80s was a hard ask for me.I never liked neo prog ... Apart from Misplaced Childhood.
My Prog tendencies were better met through bands like Talk Talk and The The.
The The Mind Bomb with Mr Marr on guitar is musically layered, not a million miles away from Crime of the Century with both it's lyrical conceits but instrumenting of atmospheric mouth organ, sparse drumming and spatial sound scapes.
Simple Minds with Street Fighting Years is Floydian in parts, folky in others and even covers Peter Gabriel.
Talk Talks last 3 Albums get more prog as you go along. Great stuff, experimental sound scapes and textures.
Of course some of the traditional bands were still pulling up trees. King Crimson produced 2 and a half brilliant albums (not quite three of a perfect pair).
I like Yes Big Generator as a rock album but it's not Prog to my ears and Genesis had long lost its Prog credentials.
Big Generator was a mixed bag for me. Even the music suggested the start of a gulf between Rabin and Anderson.
The 80s were a grim time and my needs were met by the wonderful It Bites.

Big Generator was a mixed bag for me. Even the music suggested the start of a gulf between Rabin and Anderson.
The 80s were a grim time and my needs were met by the wonderful It Bites.
I return to Big Generator instead of its predecessor ... Stands up well as 80s rock.
Saw It Bites a couple times but never grabbed me. Will have to go back and listen...

If you are referring to TFTO I think that it was more to lack of input. I heard that Steve Howe and Jon Anderson wrote most of it in their hotel rooms whilst on tour, then presented it to the band 'fait accomplis'.
Yes indeed. Anderson had read a book called “Autobiography of a Yogi” and used a footnote to develop what became TFTO with Howe.
The music didnt really lend itself to Wakeman flamboyant approach at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.