Progress and why Hughes should stay!

I think another point is that with all the new players we have bought they need time to gel into a team. To be getting the results we are whilst still in the process of becoming a team is very encouraging.

Quality post, well thought out and executed. The defensive signings haven't been upto much and I think in that respect your piece was unbalenced but I'm sick of all this Hughes lynching it's messed up and good to see not all of us are so blinded by the cash. Infastructure has been in place for over a decede at each of the big four clubs and to think we can just roll up with a load of cash and get involved is fool-hardy. People who said Chelsea fail to look at where they were before The Russian turned up with his cash. Alot closer to the top than we were 15 months ago when the arabs came.

No matter how many of these posts there are, we will always have both corners fighting each other because of one thing, Hughes is an unproven manager. The only way he's going to prove himself is by winning things with us at the moment. The question for me is not whether you are a 'Hughes in or Hughes out' kind of fan.

The main question for me would be who is willing to let Hughes get to grips with the management of a big club with the situation we find ourselves in.

Because the cash is now at our disposal we find ourselves wanting success, but there are those that are willing to forgive Hughes for his naivete at times because they feel he will improve, and there are those that feel this isn't the club he should be learning his trade at.

Now, I know that he managed Blackburn and Wales, but this is an entirely different proposition and he is now EXPECTED to get results. Look at Mourinho for example, whilst he started at a reliatively large club like Benfica, he'd also had the opportunity to work (in a non footballing capacity which allowed him to learn a little more directly in my opinion) which some pretty good coaches i.e. Bobby Robson. Hughes pretty much went straight from playing into management and probably hasn't been able to ask his previous mentors for much advice given he'd be competing with most of them.

For what it's worth, I think Hughes will probably come good in time, although I wouldn't put my house on it, I think we'll win things with him. But there's absolutely no need for all the bickering and name calling that goes on, as it's fairly understandable why people want him out.

The buys have been good, and there has been an improvement in form, and Hughes IS learning, but is he learning fast enough to keep all the doubters happy? That's the debatable point.

xirtarg said:
No matter how many of these posts there are, we will always have both corners fighting each other because of one thing, Hughes is an unproven manager. The only way he's going to prove himself is by winning things with us at the moment. The question for me is not whether you are a 'Hughes in or Hughes out' kind of fan.

The main question for me would be who is willing to let Hughes get to grips with the management of a big club with the situation we find ourselves in.

Because the cash is now at our disposal we find ourselves wanting success, but there are those that are willing to forgive Hughes for his naivete at times because they feel he will improve, and there are those that feel this isn't the club he should be learning his trade at.

Now, I know that he managed Blackburn and Wales, but this is an entirely different proposition and he is now EXPECTED to get results. Look at Mourinho for example, whilst he started at a reliatively large club like Benfica, he'd also had the opportunity to work (in a non footballing capacity which allowed him to learn a little more directly in my opinion) which some pretty good coaches i.e. Bobby Robson. Hughes pretty much went straight from playing into management and probably hasn't been able to ask his previous mentors for much advice given he'd be competing with most of them.

For what it's worth, I think Hughes will probably come good in time, although I wouldn't put my house on it, I think we'll win things with him. But there's absolutely no need for all the bickering and name calling that goes on, as it's fairly understandable why people want him out.

The buys have been good, and there has been an improvement in form, and Hughes IS learning, but is he learning fast enough to keep all the doubters happy? That's the debatable point.

Good point well made

xirtarg said:
Thank you kind sir. Even if my post may have been a little long winded!

I can see where your coming from..........the problem Hughes has this job has come too soon for him, maybe if proving himself elsewhere and 5 years down the line then Yes maybe?

Personally, I'm so used to us not doing anything, that I'm relatively happy to wait another season in the hope that stability (from the clubs point of view) and experience (from Hughes' point of view) bring us success. But I do understand why people don't want him in. I'm 27, so I'm fairly used to us being useless to be honest so I'm probably a little more patient because a part of me is still confused about Manchester City and winning being in the same sentence!

I know I'll get the 'If you're happy to settle for mediocrity you're an idiot' speech, but it's merely my opinion.

Most of the people that construct Hughes out arguments are often well thought out in their arguments, I just can't be doing with people like the guy I work with who wanted Hughes out last week before Arsenal, then was happy for him to stay, then wanted him out again this morning.

I think with experience he will be a good manager, however, I can see why not all blues are happy to see him learn with us when we should, theoretically, be hitting the next level.

xirtarg said:
Personally, I'm so used to us not doing anything, that I'm relatively happy to wait another season in the hope that stability (from the clubs point of view) and experience (from Hughes' point of view) bring us success. But I do understand why people don't want him in. I'm 27, so I'm fairly used to us being useless to be honest so I'm probably a little more patient because a part of me is still confused about Manchester City and winning being in the same sentence!

I know I'll get the 'If you're happy to settle for mediocrity you're an idiot' speech, but it's merely my opinion.

Most of the people that construct Hughes out arguments are often well thought out in their arguments, I just can't be doing with people like the guy I work with who wanted Hughes out last week before Arsenal, then was happy for him to stay, then wanted him out again this morning.

I think with experience he will be a good manager, however, I can see why not all blues are happy to see him learn with us when we should, theoretically, be hitting the next level.

Like i've said in other threads i'm happy to go with him till the end of the season to see if he gets us into that 4th spot which is what is needed...but....if the chance comes of a more experienced proven manager becomes available i think we should take it.
It may sound harsh but afterall it's a buisness and owners make them sort of calls for the good of the company!

I agree with the sentiment completely. My only worry, again, being a pessimist, is a simple one.

If someone like Mourinho/Hiddink comes in and doesn't 'succeed' with us in their first season, their reputation won't go down the pan - purely because of what they've done in the past. If Ferguson/Ancelotti/Benitez then leave their post for some reason, where would we stand if our new manager were approached. I'd like to think that they would stay, but surely the thought of an already established club would be a massive lure for one of them?

By not succeed I mean finish 5th/6th with their own players needing time to 'gel' etc.

It's a bit of a dodgy position from our stance, and one that we honestly cannot answer without Doc Emmett Brown's intervention (back to the future for those that don't know)

xirtarg said:
I agree with the sentiment completely. My only worry, again, being a pessimist, is a simple one.

If someone like Mourinho/Hiddink comes in and doesn't 'succeed' with us in their first season, their reputation won't go down the pan - purely because of what they've done in the past. If Ferguson/Ancelotti/Benitez then leave their post for some reason, where would we stand if our new manager were approached. I'd like to think that they would stay, but surely the thought of an already established club would be a massive lure for one of them?

By not succeed I mean finish 5th/6th with their own players needing time to 'gel' etc.

It's a bit of a dodgy position from our stance, and one that we honestly cannot answer without Doc Emmett Brown's intervention (back to the future for those that don't know)

Nice to have a differance of opinion/debate with someone without the name calling which is refreshing........thanks for that!
In my eyes Mourinho is made for City.....a club that's been crying out for success for years and having to put up with the shit from across the City.
It's within touching distance with our new found wealth but needs a figure head, messiah to take us there.....he would relish it, becoming a hero at the club whilst upsetting our rivals at the same time?
Yes he's arrogant but that rubs off on the squad and makes them into winners.......just look at the mentality of Chelsea now from before he went there, nothing apart from winning is good enough and that's what we need.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.