Prostate cancer

Got this to come next. Ffs…. I thought I could handle pain quite well but now I’m not so sure!!
Inch I’ll post this as I’m pretty open and honest, and if it is to painful and uncomfortable my first biopsy was a transrectal , it wasn’t successful but very soon after I was then given a transperineal biopsy where they give you a GA . And the procedure was carried out. I’m trying not to alarm you I’m just posting my own experience, try not to worry there’s always a plan B mate always.

A tip for us all on here dealing with this or who have family and friends dealing with it
Stay clear of google just use NHS and prostate cancer uk websites.
Trust me some sites will play havoc with your mental health.
Good luck to all.

Been on the Tamsulosin tablets for a week now, feel pretty low since I’ve been on them and since the Endoscopy I’ve been pissing every hour if not less, not sure if these tablets are causing either or both above or if I’ve got an infection. Anyone else been in these and had an issue?

Will ring docs tomorrow to see what they say, not had results from MRI scan yet but expect that’s a week or 2 away.
Good luck mate, I've been on them quite a few months with no side effects

An update on my cancer treatment.

I have been given the go-ahead to take Abiraterone, so I took my first dose this morning. A quick recap: this is normally a second line of treatment when cancer has spread and it needs to be held at bay. My situation is that the cancer hasn't spread beyond the prostate (OK, it's poking out a bit), but my oncologist has fought for me to have the drug because it has shown great results in preventing cancer re-occurrence for men in my situation.

I will have a brachytherapy session in mid- to late September, followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions 2 weeks later. The aim of this treatment is to cure the cancer.

Just over a month from my first hormone injection, aside from frequent hot flushes, I'm getting no other side effects (yet) and life continues as normal.

Good luck to everybody going through this, whatever stage you are at.

I will do my duty and repeat the call for men who are 50+ to get tested. Whilst having cancer is not ideal, my situation shows that if it is detected early, you have a much better chance of beating it and there are amazing treatments that can save your life and allow you to continue living a normal life.

I have been given the go-ahead to take Abiraterone, so I took my first dose this morning. A quick recap: this is normally a second line of treatment when cancer has spread and it needs to be held at bay. My situation is that the cancer hasn't spread beyond the prostate (OK, it's poking out a bit), but my oncologist has fought for me to have the drug because it has shown great results in preventing cancer re-occurrence for men in my situation.

I will have a brachytherapy session in mid- to late September, followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions 2 weeks later. The aim of this treatment is to cure the cancer.

Just over a month from my first hormone injection, aside from frequent hot flushes, I'm getting no other side effects (yet) and life continues as normal.

I will do my duty and repeat the call for men who are 50+ to get tested. Whilst having cancer is not ideal, my situation shows that if it is detected early, you have a much better chance of beating it and there are amazing treatments that can save your life and allow you to continue living a normal life.
Good luck Rob. Everything crossed for you mucker.

Good luck with it all mate

Good luck Rob just another step in the right direction of your journey to get the end game in your battle,
All the very best and a great informative post.

My very best wishes to you with your forthcoming treatment. I too have recently gone down the Brachitherapy route followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions along with 6 months of a tablet called bicalutamide.

I can only reiterate what others have said on here which is once you reach 50 get yourself checked if possible even if you are showing no symptoms. I had no symptoms whatsoever but was fortunate enough to go for a routine medical which included a PSA blood test. My result came in at 3.7 which I was told was slightly above the threshold for a referral. I was told that some men have a much higher reading who don't test positive for prostate cancer. Anyway I was referred for a MRI scan and that indicated a Pirads score which was high. At that stage it became a concern but again it wasn't confirmation that I had PC. Thereafter I went for a biopsy which confirmed I was positive.

In a way ,and I know it won't be the same for everyone, I was quite relieved to know I had it because whilst I was being tested mentally I was all over the place. I just needed to know if I had it or not.

So it's been the brachitherapy and radiotherapy for me along with the hormone tablets for 6 months. I go and see my oncologist in the next 2 weeks. My PSA levels will be checked again and then at some stage shortly thereafter I should know the outcome moving forward.

The treatment has left side effects which do wear off gradually (I will say no more than bodily function control re toilet visits and leave it at that) along with fatigue but things do improve slowly day by day.

It does change your focus on life and lifestyle moving forward. This forum has been a great help over the last 8 months but I've only just decided to type this after much thought.

As has been stated by others to all those undertaking treatment, about to or may face it in the future;

Stay positive
Don't refer to Dr Google as it will make you feel worse,
Don't push yourself when undertaking treatment. Listen to your body
Read this forum as its caring
Try and obtain the literature that MacMillan produce around exercise and diet when undertaking treatment.

My very best wishes to you with your forthcoming treatment. I too have recently gone down the Brachitherapy route followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions along with 6 months of a tablet called bicalutamide.

I can only reiterate what others have said on here which is once you reach 50 get yourself checked if possible even if you are showing no symptoms. I had no symptoms whatsoever but was fortunate enough to go for a routine medical which included a PSA blood test. My result came in at 3.7 which I was told was slightly above the threshold for a referral. I was told that some men have a much higher reading who don't test positive for prostate cancer. Anyway I was referred for a MRI scan and that indicated a Pirads score which was high. At that stage it became a concern but again it wasn't confirmation that I had PC. Thereafter I went for a biopsy which confirmed I was positive.

In a way ,and I know it won't be the same for everyone, I was quite relieved to know I had it because whilst I was being tested mentally I was all over the place. I just needed to know if I had it or not.

So it's been the brachitherapy and radiotherapy for me along with the hormone tablets for 6 months. I go and see my oncologist in the next 2 weeks. My PSA levels will be checked again and then at some stage shortly thereafter I should know the outcome moving forward.

The treatment has left side effects which do wear off gradually (I will say no more than bodily function control re toilet visits and leave it at that) along with fatigue but things do improve slowly day by day.

It does change your focus on life and lifestyle moving forward. This forum has been a great help over the last 8 months but I've only just decided to type this after much thought.

As has been stated by others to all those undertaking treatment, about to or may face it in the future;

Stay positive
Don't refer to Dr Google as it will make you feel worse,
Don't push yourself when undertaking treatment. Listen to your body
Read this forum as its caring
Try and obtain the literature that MacMillan produce around exercise and diet when undertaking treatment.
Thank you and glad to hear that you are doing well.

I took the bicalutamide for a few weeks to prepare my body for the hormone injections.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.