PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir suspended after 4th official accused of racism

man_down_episode_0104.jpg

The sad thing about this saga is reflected in the BT sports interviews from the pundits.....some will have different views as have some posters on here......but they are too scared of having a proper debate about it for fear of being accused of racism and then that’s the end of their television career.

Racism of any kind is abhorrent......howeverwe live in a supposedly democratic society and having an opposing opinion (John Barnes has summed it up perfectly) and not agreeing with the popular view does not automatically make someone a racist.

I must admit that i was surprised when i heard that a fourth official had been accused as being racial against a member of the Basaksehir coaching staff. When i heard what he had been accused of i thought "really".
I am all for getting rid of racism not just in football but in every walk of life however i'm asking are some people going overboard in their judgment of what is racist.
From what i saw the fourth official was asked to point out Pierre Webo, referring him as a black man.
Is describing a person for identification purposes black or white racist?
If the Police asked me to identify someone would it be racist tell them the colour of their skin?

I must admit that i was surprised when i heard that a fourth official had been accused as being racial against a member of the Basaksehir coaching staff. When i heard what he had been accused of i thought "really".
I am all for getting rid of racism not just in football but in every walk of life however i'm asking are some people going overboard in their judgment of what is racist.
From what i saw the fourth official was asked to point out Pierre Webo, referring him as a black man.
Is describing a person for identification purposes black or white racist?
If the Police asked me to identify someone would it be racist tell them the colour of their skin?
John Barnes has just been having this out on Twitter.

However, I'm still reluctant to take Barnes' opinion as a basis for dismissing the entire complaint. This isn't a case of some Twitter warrior getting upset on behalf of someone else, it's clear that Demba Ba found it offensive, so it would be interesting to hear from him what he felt was offensive about it (although to be fair, we heard it on the pitch, so I don't know whether he has anything to add now there's been some time to think). But of course it was a situation where a teammate has just been sent off, so obviously a situation where emotions are running high. I'd be interested to know if John Barnes thinks that Demba Ba is legitimate in expressing his opposition, or whether he thinks he is cynically using race to punish an official who made a decision against his colleague.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.