Punk and New Wave thread.

was at a stranglers gig at the apollo and seem to remember the drones supporting them.

The buzzcocks early output has stood the test of time better than most. Any open minded fans of the first albums by the Artics or the Vaccines should check out the Singles Going Steady comp, or dive straight into Another Music in a Different Kitchen

I got into punk around this time in '78 when stuff like My Way, Like Clockwork, If The Kids Are United, Love You More, Ca Plane Pour Moi, Top of the Pops and Nice n Sleazy were in the charts.

In Audenshaw/Denton we even had our own local outfit V2. I sort of lost interest as the 70s ended but still loved Angelic Upstarts and Peter and the Test Tube Babies. In the late 80s I got into a few of the bands I'd never really bothered with back in the day like X Ray Spex, the Stranglers, the Clash and the Ramones. I think 99% of this stuff still sounds powerful and great. It wasn't just a fad.
V2, never realised they were local. Bought a 12"EP of theirs from the underground market. Man In a box, and When the world isn't there. One or two other tracks I can't remember. Only cost 50p. I still have it somewhere. Maybe in a box in my garage.

Last edited:
Punk was my first musical love from the age of about 8! My grandad used to stay up for me and tape the John Peel stuff. I had loads of coloured Vinyl. UK Subs, Generation X, X Ray Specs, Pistols, Siouxsie and Banshees. Good days. I recently sold my Clash London’s calling vinyl on eBay for 5 x what I paid for it. inflation!

Somebody call?

I know it’s a different era but I got into US punk in the mid 90s and I’ve just realised that era is now closer to the original punk heyday than it is to the present :-(
Haha stop Droning on. I used to like a couple of American bands Rancid and Hot Rod Circuit. Only discovered them on the internet but I like this track in particular.

There must be quite a few on here who listened to punk and went to gigs, I know i did.

Bands like the Pistols Clash Stranglers Damned UK Subs SLF Boomtown Rats Sham69 Angelic Upstarts Undertones The Jam.

And then there's the venue's Free Trade Hall Apollo Pollytechnic Mayflower club etc.

The clothes and hair Bondage pants studded Biker Jackets belts wristbands bumflaps furry jumpers Docs cherry red or black. Mohicans Spikes Skins etc etc

That scene was a big part of my youth.

Discuss.
Saw The Jam live on the Sound Affects tour. Not their best era but still a good night. The Pirahnas were the support and in my pissed on 2 pints student brain I seem to remember them playing Tom Hark for about 5 songs out of 6.
Menzie? from the Angelic Upstarts used to drink in a boozer near our digs in South Shields. Cock used to get his mates to boot him a clear path to the bar when it was busy. Laughed my one remaining ball clean off when a little Glaswegian student decked three of them for spilling his pint!

punk started in 75, and was finished by the end of 76. most people do not have a clue what punk was all about. anyone who thinks the stranglers were punk does not understand the whole idea. it turned rather rapidly into a commercial enterprise, for the sheep to follow, you know, the type that watched top of the pops !

I saw the Dead Kennedys with UK Decay as back up at Manchester Polly in 80.

Probably my favourite gig i think. They weren't my favourite band but the place and pace was electric. About 600 frenzied punks pogo-ing about. Fuckin' brilliant, especially being stood at the front. How I didn't get crushed against the scaffold barrier I don't know.

The entire Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables record is equal parts vicious and funny, with huge riffs and a frantic pace. I wish I'd seen them. I love California Uber Alles and Let's Lynch the Landlord too.

I did always like the fact that bands like the DKs and Fear weren't actually punks but real musicians playing a very ironic role. There's a big difference between Sid Vicious and Darby Crash (from the Germs) who really were disasters as people and Greg Ginn and Pat Smear -- real guitar players.

Yeah, I loved the music but I wasn't cut out for the scene; I was too square. Almost got trampled at an X show when I dared to go up front and while my buddies stage-dived at Black Flag I didn't have the balls.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.