Punk and New Wave thread.

Pretty sure I saw Bow Wow Wow at the Hacienda.

Liked Generation X but they weren't a proper punk band. I have seen Billy Idol in concert a few times; including in Nashville Tennessee!

I loathed punks back in the day but liked the Pistols (who were just a metal band in disguise) and the Clash.

I did see the Damned support T.Rex.
I wondered when you'd come along mate.

We've chatted music a few years ago on another City forum if you remember. And I remember you saying you were a smelly greasy headbanger in your youth. And a massive Kiss fan. I now you dabbled in punk, but did you go to any punk gigs in your spadex kecks?; )

I once saw a punk, resplendent in punkness, walking along Argyle street in Glasgow with a dog leash dragging a morning roll.

Looked cool and funny as fuck.

I had my dad buy me this after I'd read about it being banned from radio in the Daily Mirror. Being only ten I was scared of my parents hearing the lyrics. This also applied later when I got Never Mind the Bollocks and the Bodies lyrics. Another thing I remember is the Revolver TV show and it being full of new wave and punk acts. I would tune into Peel but it seemed to be wall to wall reggae by mid 1978.

first band I saw was infested gash,not a big name cant remember who they were supporting,it was at the mayflower matinee anyway their song was a cover of fuck a mod,i fucking shit it,the crowd went mental and I inched to the side of the stage hahaha,got chased through town one Saturday,ended up running with toothpaste from the varicose veins :)
Was that an Exploited song?

Saw them 2-3 times. One time at Drifters club Dukinfield. They turned up on a 50 seater coach and everyone I looked at was snarling and most if not all had a Bells whiskey bottle in their hand. There were more drunken jocks there than English. Got into the gig and the atmosphere was tense, I just knew it would kick off at any moment. It did there were bottles glasses chairs and tables being smashed. I saw blood and cuts everywhere. Me and my mate soon left the scene through a fire escape. I didn't fancy nursing cuts and bruises in Tameside general that night.

Was that an Exploited song?

Saw them 2-3 times. One time at Drifters club Dukinfield. They turned up on a 50 seater coach and everyone I looked at was snarling and most if not all had a Bells whiskey bottle in their hand. There were more drunken jocks there than English. Got into the gig and the atmosphere was tense, I just knew it would kick off at any moment. It did there were bottles glasses chairs and tables being smashed. I saw blood and cuts everywhere. Me and my mate soon left the scene through a fire escape. I didn't fancy nursing cuts and bruises in Tameside general that night.
yes an exploited song

V2, never realised they were local. Bought a 12"EP of theirs from the underground market. Man In a box, and When the world isn't there. One or two other tracks I can't remember. Only cost 50p. I still have it somewhere. Maybe in a box in my garage.

Used to have that. Think they had 2 singles out. Never went platinum for some reason......

Used to have that. Think they had 2 singles out. Never went platinum for some reason......
There were a lot of small bands who never made big gigs. I used to go in the underground to Attack records, at least I think that was the name. Some bands I'd never heard of at the time. Bands like Crisis Menace The Hoax The Shapes Armed Forces. Probably quite a few more when I've had a proper think about it. Me and my mate would buy random stuff on the wall, some good some pretty shit. Ive seen a lot of tracks put on YouTube. I'll dig some out later.

There were a lot of small bands who never made big gigs. I used to go in the underground to Attack records, at least I think that was the name. Some bands I'd never heard of at the time. Bands like Crisis Menace The Hoax The Shapes Armed Forces. Probably quite a few more when I've had a proper think about it. Me and my mate would buy random stuff on the wall, some good some pretty shit. Ive seen a lot of tracks put on YouTube. I'll dig some out later.
Mike Joyce was in The Hoax (and Victim) before joining The Smiths (I knew I could get them into this thread!!!!)

Joe 9T and the Thunderbirds were a very unknown band. A mate bought a copy from underground market. When I went to buy one they'd sold out. Can't of pressed many copies though. Brings back memories this track of going my mates house, listening to John Peel and playing tracks.

Last edited:
I've seen all those bands you mentioned except Generation X snd Bow wow wow. I loved King Rocker.

Did you go to the Crass Mayflower gig?. Now they were political. A mate of mine I fell out of touch with got into thier beliefs and lifestyle bigtime. He used to stay at Penny Rimbaud's punk/hippy house. My mate scorned when we eventually met up again. 14 hole leather Doc's and me being a meat eater. He used to live on some yeast extract vegan paste out of a tube, ' Tortex' or something. Fair play, itsi what he believed in but being a veggie he always looked thin and pale. Nothing s good liver n' bacon casserole wouldn't fix.

Did you meet Becky Bondage? My mate's face was a picture when he saw me snogging her after a gig.
At the time I was living in Coventry so my Crass gigs were at Birmingham's Digbeth Civic Hall, deffo 2 times, maybe 3, along with Dirt, Conflict, Flux and Honey Bane.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.