Punk and New Wave thread.

Great thread.
Got into it a little late, January 79 aged 16 - saw Generation X on TOTP doing King Rocker. Thought they were shite, and Idol couldn't even lip synch in time! Then heard the song on the radio and fell in love with it / them!
Sid died a month later!
First band I saw was Stiff Little Fingers July 80
By then I was mad on Siouxsie and started following them around a few places on tour.
Never got into The Jam or the yob culture of Sham 69.

Bands I saw - Siouxsie, Stranglers, SLF, UK Subs, Chelsea, Gang of four. Went to the Xmas on earth punk festival at Leeds 81 - The Damned, Bow Wow Wow, Anti Nowhere League, Vice Squad, Exploited etc + a load of other shite bands
Never did see Generation X. They played the Poly a few weeks after I bought King Rocker but you had to be 18 to get in and at 16 I looked 13..... Then when they split and regrouped as Gen X had a ticket to see them tour the new album and they split up again 2 weeks before the gig... Saw Idol at the Apollo in 2008 and he did Ready Steady Go and I finally got to see a Generation X song live! Seen him 5 times now and each time he has done Dancing with myself (originally a Gen X tune), Ready Steady Go and in November last year, at the Hollywood Bowl he did King Rocker and I went mad dancing like a daft uncle at a wedding!
Never really got the 2nd wave of punk, Chron Gen, Exploited, Discharge etc.... it was too much about spikey mohawks, studded leather jackets and fuck knows what they were shouting.
I did however get into the Crass scene, Dirt, Flux of Pink Indians etc.

I actually had this poster on my wall though I'm sure it was orange.

Drove down to Cornwall in my mum's mini with a mate to this. Slept in the car over three nights.
Great gig. Still have the ticket. Met Siouxsie at a TV broadcast she was at in 2009 and told her I went to the Elephant Fayre and she stopped me and quick as a flash said ''1982''. I went home and had a wank.....

Last edited:
punk started in 75, and was finished by the end of 76. most people do not have a clue what punk was all about. anyone who thinks the stranglers were punk does not understand the whole idea. it turned rather rapidly into a commercial enterprise, for the sheep to follow, you know, the type that watched top of the pops !

Is this a Clarkie? Maybe you have a point about The Stranglers but how the hell can punk have ended in 76 when The Ramones Leave Home and Rocket to Russia came out in 77?

Saw The Jam live on the Sound Affects tour. Not their best era but still a good night. The Pirahnas were the support and in my pissed on 2 pints student brain I seem to remember them playing Tom Hark for about 5 songs out of 6.
Menzie? from the Angelic Upstarts used to drink in a boozer near our digs in South Shields. Cock used to get his mates to boot him a clear path to the bar when it was busy. Laughed my one remaining ball clean off when a little Glaswegian student decked three of them for spilling his pint!
I remember seeing the Upstarts in the dimly lit 'oddies' club in Oldham. Quite a few have mentioned the Kippax bogs but those in that dimly lit squalor were 6" of stinking deep.

Is this a Clarkie? Maybe you have a point about The Stranglers but how the hell can punk have ended in 76 when The Ramones Leave Home and Rocket to Russia came out in 77?
no, its not a clarkia. do you know what punk was about ? no, its not the clothes, most post 76 punk had no clue about the movement they just chose it as a youth statement. if you really look into it you can find out.

Great thread.
Got into it a little late, January 79 aged 16 - saw Generation X on TOTP doing King Rocker. Thought they were shite, and Idol couldn't even lip synch in time! Then heard the song on the radio and fell in love with it / them!
Sid died a month later!
First band I saw was Stiff Little Fingers July 80
By then I was mad on Siouxsie and started following them around a few places on tour.
Never got into The Jam or the yob culture of Sham 69.

Bands I saw - Siouxsie, Stranglers, SLF, UK Subs, Chelsea, Gang of four. Went to the Xmas on earth punk festival at Leeds 81 - The Damned, Bow Wow Wow, Anti Nowhere League, Vice Squad, Exploited etc + a load of other shite bands
Never did see Generation X. They played the Poly a few weeks after I bought King Rocker but you had to be 18 to get in and at 16 I looked 13..... Then when they split and regrouped as Gen X had a ticket to see them tour the new album and they split up again 2 weeks before the gig... Saw Idol at the Apollo in 2008 and he did Ready Steady Go and I finally got to see a Generation X song live! Seen him 5 times now and each time he has done Dancing with myself (originally a Gen X tune), Ready Steady Go and in November last year, at the Hollywood Bowl he did King Rocker and I went mad dancing like a daft uncle at a wedding!
Never really got the 2nd wave of punk, Chron Gen, Exploited, Discharge etc.... it was too much about spikey mohawks, studded leather jackets and fuck knows what they were shouting.
I did however get into the Crass scene, Dirt, Flux of Pink Indians etc.

I actually had this poster on my wall though I'm sure it was orange.

Drove down to Cornwall in my mum's mini with a mate to this. Slept in the car over three nights.
Great gig. Still have the ticket. Met Siouxsie at a TV broadcast she was at in 2009 and told her I went to the Elephant Fayre and she stopped me and quick as a flash said ''1982''. I went home and had a wank.....
I've seen all those bands you mentioned except Generation X snd Bow wow wow. I loved King Rocker.

Did you go to the Crass Mayflower gig?. Now they were political. A mate of mine I fell out of touch with got into thier beliefs and lifestyle bigtime. He used to stay at Penny Rimbaud's punk/hippy house. My mate scorned when we eventually met up again. 14 hole leather Doc's and me being a meat eater. He used to live on some yeast extract vegan paste out of a tube, ' Tortex' or something. Fair play, itsi what he believed in but being a veggie he always looked thin and pale. Nothing s good liver n' bacon casserole wouldn't fix.

Did you meet Becky Bondage? My mate's face was a picture when he saw me snogging her after a gig.

Last edited:
no, its not a clarkia. do you know what punk was about ? no, its not the clothes, most post 76 punk had no clue about the movement they just chose it as a youth statement. if you really look into it you can find out.
Go on then Methuselah, enlighten him. I have read pre pistols history but I'll let you mention it. Anyway this thread isn't for bit picking who is the oldest bestest most knowledgeable punk. Everyone who got involved, please feel feel to share your punk/New wave stuff.

I've seen all those bands you mentioned except Generation X snd Bow wow wow. I loved King Rocker.

Did you go to the Crass Mayflower gig?. Now they were political. A mate of mine I fell out of touch with got into thier beliefs and lifestyle bigtime. He used to stay at Penny Rimbaud's punk/hippy house. My mate scorned when we eventually met up again. 14 hole leather Doc's and me being a meat eater. He used to live on some yeast extract vegan paste out of a tube, ' Tortex' or something. Fair play, itsi what he believed in but being a veggie he always looked thin and pale. Nothing s good liver n' bacon casserole wouldn't fix.

Pretty sure I saw Bow Wow Wow at the Hacienda.

Liked Generation X but they weren't a proper punk band. I have seen Billy Idol in concert a few times; including in Nashville Tennessee!

I loathed punks back in the day but liked the Pistols (who were just a metal band in disguise) and the Clash.

I did see the Damned support T.Rex.

first band I saw was infested gash,not a big name cant remember who they were supporting,it was at the mayflower matinee anyway their song was a cover of fuck a mod,i fucking shit it,the crowd went mental and I inched to the side of the stage hahaha,got chased through town one Saturday,ended up running with toothpaste from the varicose veins :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.