Punk and New Wave thread.

Having watched Toyah Wilcox on Celebrity Mastermind last night it goes without saying that in no way am I going to say what a fine looking woman she is. That would be demeaning to her, judging a woman purely on her looks is not on.

Having watched Toyah Wilcox on Celebrity Mastermind last night it goes without saying that in no way am I going to say what a fine looking woman she is. That would be demeaning to her, judging a woman purely on her looks is not on.
I went to see her in Blackpool in 1976/7, not sure exactly when. At the time the lads I went with all smoked dope, I didn't smoke so declined. They persuaded me to eat some instead, so gave me a lump which must have been about 1/8th of what was known at the time, very non-PC, as Paki Black. I was the driver and ate it when we arrived. Through the gig I felt nothing, but the journey back, 3 hours later, was an experience I will never forget.....

Best time of my life for music and seeing bands live during the punk period. I was living in Exeter and no fucker ever came down there to do gigs. Then all of a sudden, we are getting bands every week either at Roots or the University. From what I can remember, I got to see: Clash, Damned, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, The Cortina's, Chelsea, 999, Sham 69, Police, Lurkers, Albertos Y Los Trios Paranoias, Ian Dury, Pretenders, Ruts, Tom Robinson, Jam, Blondie, Gen X, Slits, Wayne County, Adverts, Cockney Rejects plus some that I have probably forgotten.
My only regrets was not getting to see The Pistols or Siouxie.
A golden age for me.

Hugh Cornwell is in Bury tonight in case anyone fancies it.

The Met, which I believe was once known as Derby Hall, scene of an infamous Joy Division gig in 1980.

Hugh Cornwell is in Bury tonight in case anyone fancies it.

The Met, which I believe was once known as Derby Hall, scene of an infamous Joy Division gig in 1980.

Saw him a couple of years back in Chester, highly recommended.
There was a tinge of regret though whilst listening to those marvellous songs that he's put together a 4 piece band but clearly he stubbornly, resolutely, would not under any circumstances entertain the idea that those songs ever featured a keyboard player.
It really was painful and a bit sad to hear the extent he went to with the arrangements of those Stranglers classics to try and account for or compensate for the keyboard gaps.
I remember thinking I'd rather he hadn't included some of them in his set list at all.
I did enjoy it though, really!

Saw him a couple of years back in Chester, highly recommended.
There was a tinge of regret though whilst listening to those marvellous songs that he's put together a 4 piece band but clearly he stubbornly, resolutely, would not under any circumstances entertain the idea that those songs ever featured a keyboard player.
It really was painful and a bit sad to hear the extent he went to with the arrangements of those Stranglers classics to try and account for or compensate for the keyboard gaps.
I remember thinking I'd rather he hadn't included some of them in his set list at all.
I did enjoy it though, really!
I saw him at the international years ago. His guitar improvisation to the keyboard solo in walk on by was brilliant. Was a great gig.

The Stranglers died as a band when Cornwell left IMO, I couldn't take to them after that.

I saw him at the international years ago. His guitar improvisation to the keyboard solo in walk on by was brilliant. Was a great gig.

The Stranglers died as a band when Cornwell left IMO, I couldn't take to them after that.

Oh, for sure it was still a great gig to see him solo....
.. but also yeah, shame really, as after the split it just seemed like we ended up with the worst of both worlds in some ways.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.