Punk and New Wave thread.

BlueMoonRisin’

There must be quite a few on here who listened to punk and went to gigs, I know i did.

Bands like the Pistols Clash Stranglers Damned UK Subs SLF Boomtown Rats Sham69 Angelic Upstarts Undertones The Jam.

And then there's the venue's Free Trade Hall Apollo Pollytechnic Mayflower club etc.

The clothes and hair Bondage pants studded Biker Jackets belts wristbands bumflaps furry jumpers Docs cherry red or black. Mohicans Spikes Skins etc etc

That scene was a big part of my youth.

Discuss.

Last edited:
First gig I saw was The Clash.

First album I bought was Never Mind The Bollocks.

But by the time Mohicans and spikes came along, punk was long dead.

First gig I saw was The Clash.

First album I bought was Never Mind The Bollocks.

But by the time Mohicans and spikes came along, punk was long dead.
I was too young to see The Pistols. Besides ny old man hated them, especially when being interviewed by Bill Grundy. How he didn't kick the TV put Telly screen through I don't know.

The Clash were one of the mainstream bands i didn't get to see. I must of been skint or following City drained the little spare cash I had.. UK Subs were my favourite and my best mate liked the Stranglers best. Saw them both several times amongst other good bands.

I got into punk properly in 78 and there were plenty of spikes and mohicans at gigs.

I was only 12 when Bollocks came out and grew up during the rise of American punk. The Clash was also the first concert I went to but by then it was the Combat Rock tour. But I saw X, Black Flag, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers (before anyone knew who they were, when they performed nearly naked except for tube socks on their wangs). Really wish I'd seen Wire. But West Coast USA punk was more what I knew. Loved the Dead Kennedys. Also liked the NY "punk" scene; ie. CBGB's early Talking Heads. And of course there was always the Ramones. Post-punk ultimately became more my speed (Husker Du, Gang of Four, e.g.). But still think the Buzzcocks (are they really punk?) are one of the most underrated bands in history.

I was only 12 when Bollocks came out and grew up during the rise of American punk. The Clash was also the first concert I went to but by then it was the Combat Rock tour. But I saw X, Black Flag, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers (before anyone knew who they were, when they performed nearly naked except for tube socks on their wangs). Really wish I'd seen Wire. But West Coast USA punk was more what I knew. Loved the Dead Kennedys. Also liked the NY "punk" scene; ie. CBGB's early Talking Heads. And of course there was always the Ramones. Post-punk ultimately became more my speed (Husker Du, Gang of Four, e.g.). But still think the Buzzcocks (are they really punk?) are one of the most underrated bands in history.
I saw the Dead Kennedys with UK Decay as back up at Manchester Polly in 80.

Probably my favourite gig i think. They weren't my favourite band but the place and pace was electric. About 600 frenzied punks pogo-ing about. Fuckin' brilliant, especially being stood at the front. How I didn't get crushed against the scaffold barrier I don't know.

Saw The Clash (twice) Buzzcocks, sham 69’ , Stranglers , even saw Ultravox pre midge ire, got to say The Clash were brilliant, raw power. Wasn’t a big fan of The Stranglers till I saw them at the Apollo, very good band ,think they got arrested after they had a girl do a strip to Nice & Sleeazy at the end courtesy of the loverly James Anderton.

Mary of the Fourth Form, If the Kids are United, Peaches, Peasant in the Big Shitty, Ugly, plenty of great records from back in the day

Saw The Clash (twice) Buzzcocks, sham 69’ , Stranglers , even saw Ultravox pre midge ire, got to say The Clash were brilliant, raw power. Wasn’t a big fan of The Stranglers till I saw them at the Apollo, very good band ,think they got arrested after they had a girl do a strip to Nice & Sleeazy at the end courtesy of the loverly James Anderton.
1978. I was a year too young to go. Would of loved seeing that tour at Battersea Power station. Some aesthetically pleasing dancers on stage that gig; )

I got into punk around this time in '78 when stuff like My Way, Like Clockwork, If The Kids Are United, Love You More, Ca Plane Pour Moi, Top of the Pops and Nice n Sleazy were in the charts.

In Audenshaw/Denton we even had our own local outfit V2. I sort of lost interest as the 70s ended but still loved Angelic Upstarts and Peter and the Test Tube Babies. In the late 80s I got into a few of the bands I'd never really bothered with back in the day like X Ray Spex, the Stranglers, the Clash and the Ramones. I think 99% of this stuff still sounds powerful and great. It wasn't just a fad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.