Queen Elizabeth II

s=20&t=6InSkPbokRTPYszMvlYvcg

This was the rainbow at Buckingham Palace today,
We were so lucky to have a stable monarchy during the last 70 yrs she never let us down it’s a sad day but I didn’t think she would last long once Philip died.
R.I.P our Queen Elizabeth 11 with your beloved Philip

There was one briefly over Windsor castle

Last edited:
I agree with this.
We are an immeasurably poorer country this evening. Our greatest international asset. As you say, our greatest diplomat.
A lady who never once shirked her duty. She lead a life of great privilege, but used that life to constantly work for her country.
I‘m not, and have never been, a monarchist, but this lady made the entire world view our country more favourably than they might otherwise have done.
She lead by example.
Probably too soon or at least should be in a political thread, but I think you are about to find how buffeted you were as a nation from international opinion of your leadership.

That is absolutely beautiful by the French government.

Isn’t it just. I don’t think some people realise just how great and important the strategic alliance between ourselves and France is, they still recognise it and the Queen always did regardless of domestic politics.

I don’t think her influence is done yet either. Diplomacy, togetherness, compassion and empathy have all been in very short supply recently. Perhaps we have a chance of getting some of that back again as people realise those traits in her used to be our best assets as a country too.

I'm not a monarchist, but I did feel sad when the news was announced today. We've lost something intangible that is irreplaceable.

I think that the Queen was one of the last people in public life who genuinely committed herself to public service. She is from a generation that served the country so admirably in WW2 and led the country as Britain emerged from that period. I remember growing up in the 80s and speaking to WW2 vets and hearing their stories of dedicated service and wanting to serve the country. They had a sense of solidarity and wanted to build a future that was better than what they endured. I think the Queen embodied that generation and that genuine will to serve the country. I think part of me is kind of mourning the passing of that generation of people.

The easy comeback to the point above is that she was born to a wealthy family etc, but she committed herself to her duty. There is no one who could even question her dedication to her service. Of course, no generation is perfect and I'm not saying that but it's a passing of an era. When I look at leaders in public life - in politics, business, sport, religion etc - there's barely any that I regard as being in it to serve others. Selfishness, cheating, scandals and absence of responsibility are the norm now. Very few people have the same sense of duty she had.

I am sure that the Queen spent the majority of her life looking at how the UK changed and how it's place in the world has changed. She saw a a lot and I'm sure there was enough over the years that would've concerned her.

However, I would love to know how she felt about what she saw in the UK in her final days: Young people cannot afford housing, proxy wars with Russia, energy bills putting millions into poverty, choosing between eating and heating, food banks, arguing with our closest European friends. We have Prime Ministers that see no value in uniting the country. We can imagine the UK disintegrating and a united Ireland. We can imagine the NHS collapsing and the BBC too. On top of this we have the climate change problem. I'm not saying that previous Prime Ministers were saints (they weren't) but when you look who she met in the past, she must have been exasperated with who we want to lead us and represent us in this world.

The world and the future just feel unstable and the Queen provided an anchor. That anchor was to the past, to maybe an imagined safer place. However, she remained an anchor in a changing world. Maybe she offered proof that - even during the worst times the UK has been through - we will get through it. And I hope we will do.

As I said, I'm not a monarchist but I do feel that as the Queen passes we have lost something in the UK that we cannot replace. It feels like it's just another part of the country breaking up.

RIP.

Yep still got a Victorian penny somewhere it was that worn you could hardly make out the Queens image,it's an old quiz question as to which Monarch to first appear on a bank note if I'm not mistaken it was a ten shilling note she first appeared on.
You are mistaken.

On 17th March 1960 the first £1 notes showing Elizabeth II were made available for everyday use, followed a year and a half later by the 10 shilling note. In 1963 the £5 note appeared and in 1964 the £10 to complete the transition.

Isn’t it just. I don’t think some people realise just how great and important the strategic alliance between ourselves and France is, they still recognise it and the Queen always did regardless of domestic politics.

I don’t think her influence is done yet either. Diplomacy, togetherness, compassion and empathy have all been in very short supply recently. Perhaps we have a chance of getting some of that back again as people realise those traits in her used to be our best assets as a country too.
Good luck with that.
I’m inclined to think the slow realisation of what you’ve lost will be painful.

What Rascal said there sums it up perfectly. She fulfilled a role with dignity. But a role we certainly don't need.
She was an elderly woman who'd had a wonderful life. But it's now time for Britain to grow up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.