Queen Elizabeth II

I do agree that this country operates under "a ... broken political system" but I cannot agree that it is broken totally. Our system tries to reconcile two principles, the elective and the hereditary. Most "radical" thought is no more sophisticated than a crude demand to get rid of the hereditary elements completely. In fact, the House of Lords is no longer based on any principle of heredity and is little more than a chamber of ageing MPs and government placemen. It is not a chamber which can compel the Commons to reconsider because it lacks legitimacy. Yet we need desperately a second chamber which can compel the executive to reflect maturely before acting. This is essential because the elective element in the constitution no longer works at all. We have an electoral system which rewards 30 odd % of the votes with a working, even a crushing, majority of MPs, in which no government has ever won 50% of the votes cast, which is dominated by parties dominated by one faction, which produce prime ministers who think increasingly in slogans and soundbites ("hug a hoody", "Brexit means Brexit", "get Brexit done") while they get on with fiddling expenses, lying and breaking their own laws.

This brings us to the one part of the constitution which has worked - the hereditary, constitutional monarchy, and the credit for this goes to Queen Elizabeth 11. I am sure that many of us would find that she led a privileged existence, that the dead hand of the protocol of court life would be insufferable but as a constitutional monarch she has always shown the sensitive touch that only the highest sense of duty and the most genuine concern for her people could produce. Being that kind of constitutional monarch is by no means easy but for Queen Elizabeth it was an instinct, not a calculation and in that lies her greatness. Now Charles is king. He must realise that he can no longer be "the dissident prince" and that his role as king brings far more responsibilities that rights and privileges. We need him to succeed.
I agree with your view on the first past the post system and your last paragraph. But I am not convinced we need a second chamber at all (and especially not one full of former MPs). Lots of successful countries (about 50 per cent) manage perfectly well with a single chamber.
The House of Commons would make better decisions if it was smaller. Modern technology makes it much easier to scrutinise decisions and legislation. One very senior Civil Servant once told me that, in his view, at least 50 per cent of the legislation passed was unnecessary and was driven by politicians' personal motives rather than any desire to improve the country. A bit cynical perhaps but also some truth in his comment I think.
What happens nowadays is that, because of limited resources, many laws are just not enforced by anyone. Our Parliament is now the biggest in the world (apart from China) and we don't have an empire any more.

Thank Christ we live in an age of podcasts. Three hour drive home later and I'll be damned if any virtue-signalling radio stations are given airtime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.