Queen Elizabeth II

An odd thing happened to my father, just before he died at the age of 82 he developed dementia. All his life he had written with his left hand, but at the end, when he couldn't speak, he was writing notes with his right hand and his handwriting was perfectly legible.

That is amazing. I can't do anything with my right hand. (No, not even that…). It's pretty much useless.

Watching this Royal walkabout on sky news you can see their security detail hate this kind of stuff.

They always do. It's a nightmare if you think about it. Didn't the Americans decide to ditch that close contact completely for acting presidents after someone took a pop at Reagan in the eighties? I think they thought, after Kennedy and that, o.k. that's it. No more trusting the people.

After initial incredulous anger at the football being cancelled, I calmed down very quickly, I mean it's still a ludicrous decision but it is what it is.

After seeing the various views online on Thursday evening I was interested to see what the real world looked like the day after a queen dies, am I unusual in feeling only the vague wistful sadness I'd experience when anyone famous but very old passes away?

It seems not: my workplace, with a mixture of ages and backgrounds, wasn't sombre or sad at all, all conversations on the subject were curiosity about what the new money and stamps would look like, moaning about the depressing music on the radio, and how it's affected the football obviously.

I visited a few pubs last night as well, everywhere was reasonably busy given the weather with completely normal atmosphere and I didn't hear a single queen-related conversation the whole evening.

I'm currently watching the cricket on TV and everyone present seems to be enjoying their day after paying their respects to the queen at the start of the day.

It just seems like the whole "nation in mourning" narrative is almost entirely a media construct.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a different experience.

After initial incredulous anger at the football being cancelled, I calmed down very quickly, I mean it's still a ludicrous decision but it is what it is.

After seeing the various views online on Thursday evening I was interested to see what the real world looked like the day after a queen dies, am I unusual in feeling only the vague wistful sadness I'd experience when anyone famous but very old passes away?

It seems not: my workplace, with a mixture of ages and backgrounds, wasn't sombre or sad at all, all conversations on the subject were curiosity about what the new money and stamps would look like, moaning about the depressing music on the radio, and how it's affected the football obviously.

I visited a few pubs last night as well, everywhere was reasonably busy given the weather with completely normal atmosphere and I didn't hear a single queen-related conversation the whole evening.

I'm currently watching the cricket on TV and everyone present seems to be enjoying their day after paying their respects to the queen at the start of the day.

It just seems like the whole "nation in mourning" narrative is almost entirely a media construct.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had a different experience.

I live in Ramsbottom, which is a relatively traditional area. Tory MP. Went heavy on the jubilee etc. I was expecting there, if anywhere, would feel sombre and show signs of real grieving. Literally nothing has changed. Everyone acting normal. No bunting, no pics of the queen. Shops open. Staff, old and young, wittering away as friendly as ever, acting normal. The country absolutely isn't in mourning. Some are, Im sure, but for the vast majority life is identical. Not spoke to a single person yet who's brought it up in conversation since Thursday. In truth, the press is acting how they feel they're expected to act and projecting that onto the wider public, when in truth they're expressing the feelings of the vast minority.

I live in Ramsbottom, which is a relatively traditional area. Tory MP. Went heavy on the jubilee etc. I was expecting there, if anywhere, would feel sombre and show signs of real grieving. Literally nothing has changed. Everyone acting normal. No bunting, no pics of the queen. Shops open. Staff, old and young, wittering away as friendly as ever, acting normal. The country absolutely isn't in mourning. Some are, Im sure, but for the vast majority life is identical. Not spoke to a single person yet who's brought it up in conversation since Thursday. In truth, the press is acting how they feel they're expected to act and projecting that onto the wider public, when in truth they're expressing the feelings of the vast minority.

This death has absolutely highlighted what the press, media and in particular the BBC are and have always been.

A vehicle to brainwash the public.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.