R.I.P Gordon Banks

I remember the first game of the 1973 season after his injury. The match was against Stoke and before the game Banks and Shankly did a lap of honour round the pitch to great applause. A great keeper and a lovely man, much respect.

A Gentleman who said Bert Trautman was his hero. Great memory of him on our First colour tv 1970 what a save!!!!

Sky showed an old interview yesterday from the Sporting Heroes series, Bob Wilson with Gordon Banks. In the programme Banks said the first piece of advice he was given was by Bert Trautman, "the greatest" was how he described him, who took him to one side after a game and told him to make his hands sticky by chewing Beech Nut gum and spitting on his hands. Showed both Bert and Banks in a great light I thought.

Danny Baker's trying to persuade the Premier League to allow all goalies to wear a blue shirt for the next round of matches as a tribute to Gordon. Great idea in my opinion, but when I think of GB I see him in a yellow shirt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.