R.I.P. Johan Neeskens, Dutch football legend dies aged 73.

Truly, truly great player from one of the finest teams ever, maybe only overshadowed in my time by the Brazil 1970 team. This team, however, showed the world total football and led to the great Johann Cruyff and Pep Guardiola style. RIP to one of my favourite players who didn't wear a City shirt.

I was 4 at the time of the Mexico world cup so I don't really remember it. '74 on the other hand I can still remember how mesmerised I was by it. I was so excited I painted a triptych of action pictures of the Dutch team. Only problem was I did it in Airfix enamels, one on each of the bedroom doors whilst everyone was downstairs one afternoon. It would be fair to say my mum was unimpressed.

For anyone who's not read it, there is a book called Brilliant Orange, that covers the history of Dutch football including this period. It's a great read.

Amongst all the shit going on today, I noticed the news that the great Dutch midfielder and Cruff minder passed away today.
It won't mean much to some but he was my non city hero. I tried to style my play on his as I was never going to play like Colin. Always tried to wear the 13 shirt.
Massively underrated.
RIP Legend.

Truly, truly great player from one of the finest teams ever, maybe only overshadowed in my time by the Brazil 1970 team. This team, however, showed the world total football and led to the great Johann Cruyff and Pep Guardiola style. RIP to one of my favourite players who didn't wear a City shirt.
Great post, Cruyff was Pep's hero, that'll do for me, RIP Johan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.