Racism on the Kippax/Maine Road

Alex the Blue said:
Stan Horne, top guy who got humoured stick (so it seemed at the time) but was and still is respected by City fans from that era. Big mate of Neil Young and Stan still attends many home games and gets regular invites to supporters dos.

Racism is and perhaps will always be a problem for some but since attending games since the early 1960s there has always been a black presence amongst our support since those days.

On the same point City in immediate post war years were considered the team for the Jewish community to support whilst the Catholics had a duty to go to OT. How many clubs would have signed a former German commando shortly after the war.

Can't pretend we're perfect but I think we helped lead the way down the years.
Well that certainly hasn't been the case since the 80s. Nearly all my school were of Irish, West Indian, Polish or Italian stock and nearly all were blues

The fella sat next to me and the lad at Wembley for the semi was an extremely rascist man. Was giving it to Balottelli all afternoon and not just comments about his football either. No need in this day and age. I also remember West Brom away in 1978 when the city faithful set fire to the pie stall. They had 3 black players (Batson, Cunningham & Regis) they had banana's and all sorts shouted at them but that was the 70's when the NF were in it's heyday in a similiar social/economic rutt similiar to now! Immigration was blamed for everything.

As with other posters, heard loads sang at our players and in fairness back in the day we weren't backward at coming forward. I can well remember monkey noises and such, but as already mentioned, the most vivid thing of that ilk was the insidious abuse hurled at Spurs. From the hissing noises, "we love you gas board" chants through to "Spurs are on their way to Belsen" were all particularly dark and shameful times for us.

i kne albert davy said:
Alex the Blue said:
Stan Horne, top guy who got humoured stick (so it seemed at the time) but was and still is respected by City fans from that era. Big mate of Neil Young and Stan still attends many home games and gets regular invites to supporters dos.

Racism is and perhaps will always be a problem for some but since attending games since the early 1960s there has always been a black presence amongst our support since those days.

On the same point City in immediate post war years were considered the team for the Jewish community to support whilst the Catholics had a duty to go to OT. How many clubs would have signed a former German commando shortly after the war.

Can't pretend we're perfect but I think we helped lead the way down the years.
Did we sign a commando as well as a paratrooper he must ave been shite don't remember him.

Sorry, paratrooper my mistake and thank you for your valid contribution to the discussion.

I recall very little serious blatant racism over the decades apart from the intended to be humourous pre-pc he wears a teatowel on his head type stuff

Only about two or three seasons ago I was sat behind the goal at home and one of our fans told Vass to 'get up you black bastard'.

Some, although by no means a majority, let alone all, of the old school Levenshulme blues of the 80s apparently flirted with the right wing scene, mainly picked up from England trips abroad I'd imagine.
Sad as it sounds now, it was a bit of a fad for some football fans back then.

BrianW said:
I remember Stane Horne playing for us in a Derby and the Rags fans chanting 'We ain't got no n*****s in our team.'

However, in fairness City fans were probably no better at the time. There was a chant 'Zigger zagger zigger, Astle is a n*****' at Jeff Astle of WBA at the 1970 League Cup Final - which is the more odd given that Astle was white.

Jeff Astle from Fantasy Football League just popped in to my head for the first time in years. Looked him up and found out he died years ago. Never knew!

RIP Jeff.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RffriYhX1aE[/youtube]<br /><br />-- Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm --<br /><br />
Balti said:
I recall very little serious blatant racism over the decades apart from the intended to be humourous pre-pc he wears a teatowel on his head type stuff

Was he in the school nativity as a Shepherd?

Yeah, i remember it being part of the kippax thing mid to late 70's especailly when West Brom had Cunnigham, Regis, and Batson and the monkey noises would start and in my shamful immature teenage years i probably laughed along with others. It wasnt until i went to college and started to grow up a bit along with City having players like Roger Palmer, Dave Bennett in the team that i realised what an ignorant twat i must have been.
You still hear the odd thing said on occasions at COMS and it just makes my skin crawl and saddens me that some people are just disgusting!

Nowt to do with racism but have often wondered have the rags ever had a German footballer?(i know,i am lazy but can't be arsed using wiki or whatever it is)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.