Racism on the Kippax/Maine Road

Britain was a more racist country in 70s and 80s and City did and still will have an element of racist supporting the team (mostly non Mancunian hick town blues). That said, I used to go to the games with a few black lads off our estate which was close to Maine Rd and don't ever recall it being that bad.
There was always more racism at Utd than City. I remember being sickened as a kid watching the telly, by the vile abuse Laurie Cunningham (RIP) recieved playing for West Brom at Old Trafford by Utd every time he touched the ball. This new Republika of Mancunia brigade at Utd like to portray the myth that Utd are a non racist set of fans, but the old Red Army (bin men of Collyhurst) were fucking horrendous and it's a fact that black people were always more welcome at City (Including the mob of about 10 Indian lads who used to stand on the halfway line, halfway up the Kippax).

Dont think any club could be particularly proud of their fans during the 70s and 80s.

We just need to keep driving it away from todays game.

Didsbury Dave said:
weren't a few singing "town full of pakis at Bradford about 10 years ago? Overall we have always been better than most.

Depends on where you think the line should be drawn between racism and banter, you only have to go back as far as the semi against the rags, most of them were met on the way to the ground with " you only live round the corner, live round the corner" however several Asian groups were immediately met by " shop round the corner, you own a shop round the corner". One mans racism is another bigot's banter !

I remember Stane Horne playing for us in a Derby and the Rags fans chanting 'We ain't got no n*****s in our team.'

However, in fairness City fans were probably no better at the time. There was a chant 'Zigger zagger zigger, Astle is a n*****' at Jeff Astle of WBA at the 1970 League Cup Final - which is the more odd given that Astle was white.

More likely to hear sexist or homophobic insults now than racial abuse/comments.
I have one vivid memory of racial abuse at Maine Road.
It was against United and one of their black players was getting it from a guy who always sat behind me. A rather tall and well built idiot who drove up from Cornwall every game.
He was always a knob and was often talked about amongst ourselves before and after games because of his behaviour.
To be fair he hadn't been rasist before.
This particular game he was a right pain in the aris and my late father in law eventually turned round and told him to shut his mouth.
This prompted him to give it my father in law which prompted me to give it to him and prompted many others around us to lend a hand.
Anyway, long story short I phoned Peter Fletcher and the next game he was gone from his seat so I assume Mr Fletcher had suspended his season ticket.
Never saw him again.

Up pops that word "Racism" again, a nonsense when used about football matches, the fans, whoever they may support, are chanting and shouting whatever will upset the opposition players, and like children do, will pick out an outstanding feature..........you ginger c*nt, you fat c*nt, you black c*nt, ect ect.

Now the chances are that in their own family will be a fatty, a ginger, or even a black person, the chances of growing up in Manchester and not having contact with any of those groups is highly unlikely.

More to the point the chances of standing on the Kippax and not being next to one of those groups, or lanky, short arsed, gay, irish, scotish, they being other insults sung at (and by fans) who fit the description, would lead to a clump round the head if it was anything more than banter.

Alex the Blue said:
Stan Horne, top guy who got humoured stick (so it seemed at the time) but was and still is respected by City fans from that era. Big mate of Neil Young and Stan still attends many home games and gets regular invites to supporters dos.

Top bloke Stan, and was a very good player, nice to see he's still around.

31614r8.jpg

Seen here with Johnny Crossan, David Connor and Colin Bell.

remember coming down from Edinburgh to a City game in the late 1970s walked into the Kippax and bricking it at all the black hoolies standing there with pints! never ever seen anything like that up in Scotland,well eventually got friendly with a few of them and they welcomed us like royalty and we had quite a few memorable times together .. just such a pity we all lost touch as it was well before mobiles,tinternet etc etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.