Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six goals and five assists this season is a good return, he's had a very good season and is going to get better and better.

I think he's comfortably the best winger in the Premier League.

I think Sterling is an amazing player but best player in the league? With Sanchez, Mane and Hazard in the form they are in? Big call

But you are my favourite kind of crazy, the blue kind

I think it's incredibly difficult to judge an attacking mid/winger like Sterling against other similar players unless you watch all of them all the time. The role requires you to try to beat players, make key passes, and score goals - all things with a low probability of success. So every decent player who plays this position is going to have highlight reels full of amazing moves where they nutmeg someone or put a defender on his arse or dribble past three players and score, but they could also have lowlight reels full of crap shots, pathetic give-aways, and rubbish passes that go straight out of play.

If you watch Sterling every week, you'll see all of the above, good and bad. Then depending on your point of view, you can reasonably hold any one of a large range of opinions about how good he is. I think the people who are most negative about him are probably comparing him to players after only seeing the highlights of other players' performances, and assuming that they do that all the time, so Sterling should too. When I see Deulofeu, or Nathan Redmond, or Zaha, or Bolasie (etc.) they all look miles better than Sterling based on the few clips of their best moments. However, I appreciate that I don't see the 4 games before their incredible move/goal, or the 4 games after, in which they might very well do f**k all of any worth. Although a different type of player, I think the same's true of Giroud - he scares the crap out of me and looks like a game-winner every time I see him, but the fans who watch him all the time seem far less impressed, as does Wenger, who doesn't even start him half the time. Same goes for Walcott.

So while I'm often unimpressed by the ease with which Sterling loses the ball when he runs at a defender, or his poor shooting, I also appreciate that sometimes he gets past defenders with ease and there was nothing wrong with his shooting against Arsenal (and on his weaker left foot). He's certainly shown he's capable (as have all the other players mentioned above), it's just a case of doing it more consistently in the future.

I think it's incredibly difficult to judge an attacking mid/winger like Sterling against other similar players unless you watch all of them all the time. The role requires you to try to beat players, make key passes, and score goals - all things with a low probability of success. So every decent player who plays this position is going to have highlight reels full of amazing moves where they nutmeg someone or put a defender on his arse or dribble past three players and score, but they could also have lowlight reels full of crap shots, pathetic give-aways, and rubbish passes that go straight out of play.

If you watch Sterling every week, you'll see all of the above, good and bad. Then depending on your point of view, you can reasonably hold any one of a large range of opinions about how good he is. I think the people who are most negative about him are probably comparing him to players after only seeing the highlights of other players' performances, and assuming that they do that all the time, so Sterling should too. When I see Deulofeu, or Nathan Redmond, or Zaha, or Bolasie (etc.) they all look miles better than Sterling based on the few clips of their best moments. However, I appreciate that I don't see the 4 games before their incredible move/goal, or the 4 games after, in which they might very well do f**k all of any worth. Although a different type of player, I think the same's true of Giroud - he scares the crap out of me and looks like a game-winner every time I see him, but the fans who watch him all the time seem far less impressed, as does Wenger, who doesn't even start him half the time. Same goes for Walcott.

So while I'm often unimpressed by the ease with which Sterling loses the ball when he runs at a defender, or his poor shooting, I also appreciate that sometimes he gets past defenders with ease and there was nothing wrong with his shooting against Arsenal (and on his weaker left foot). He's certainly shown he's capable (as have all the other players mentioned above), it's just a case of doing it more consistently in the future.
Good post and not a lot to argue with.

Good post and not a lot to argue with.

+1 from me too. He does pick the wrong ball too often, and gives it away too much. He also at times looks like he lacks a little technique (2nd Burnley goal an example). But in terms of numbers he's up there with most and is still fairly young. Definitely better on the right and should stay there for me. Looks totally compromised on the left.

What a performance from him. He has so much confidence atm, and he's developing a good understanding with Kun

Top quality. Also if I remember correctly his best form last season came central. Could tell he really wanted to score too.

What did he do when he came on apart from fall over ?! Lost possession virtually every time he had it. When did he last have a good game ? He's bang average at best and for £50 m that is a complete joke ! He actually gets in the way of other players. Sane, Jesus and Nolito must play ahead of him and all will be come the new year.

You OK pal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.