Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vieira surely has?
Just checked, Vieira, Henry and Yorke (!!???) have all won it. Unbelievably one of Henry's was in place of Makelele in 05/06, I know Henry scored a few goals but Makelele was the driving force behind Chelsea winning the league with 91 points, 24 ahead of Arsenal.

The other unbelievable one (along with Yorke) was Michael Owen in 97/98, I know he was great for a youngster but there's seperate awards for that you planks.

That's because of those powerful runs that he became so known for, surely? Toure is also seen as the most complete midfielder in the PL since he joined us. I don't think there are many who would disagree.

I don't know any football fan who wouldn't describe Sterling as "skillful". Same with Sane.
All I hear about both is pacy, powerful, strong tbh. As for those runs by Yaya you're on about, they only started to become part of his game in 11/12 and he was powerhouse long before then.

Why not? I guarantee the fans of the respective clubs of those three players would all say they wouldn't swap their man for Sterling and they would be right. All three are better players and Sanchez and particularly Hazard are at a level that Sterling will never reach.

Hazard has had a role in 13 goals this season (10G 3A), Mane's had in 16 and Raheem is responsible for our 15 goals in the PL this season. All that and he is still just 22. He might not be as good finisher as all of them but he is as influential for us as they have been for their clubs. Plus he's been our most consistent player this season. Not to mention that he has always performed for us in the CL (Barca,Monchengladbach,Celtic,Sevilla,Bucharest,Dynamo,PSG )

Hazard has had a role in 13 goals this season (10G 3A), Mane's had in 16 and Raheem is responsible for our 15 goals in the PL this season. All that and he is still just 22. He might not be as good finisher as all of them but he is as influential for us as they have been for their clubs. Plus he's been our most consistent player this season. Not to mention that he has always performed for us in the CL (Barca,Monchengladbach,Celtic,Sevilla,Bucharest,Dynamo,PSG )

Despite your good intentions you slipped in the standard media brainwashing comment about his finishing unfortunately.

He goals to shots ratio is as good as anyone we have and he's our 2nd leading scorer after Aguero.

He misses no more chances than anyone else does.

Can Sane not finish because he missed two great chances on Monday night? People won't say that though because the idea has not been fed to them by the media.

Despite your good intentions you slipped in the standard media brainwashing comment about his finishing unfortunately.

He goals to shots ratio is as good as anyone we have and he's our 2nd leading scorer after Aguero.

Can Sane not finish because he missed two great chances on Monday night? People won't say that though because the idea has not been fed to them by the media.
Player in missing chances shocker :) Messi scores one goal from every six if memory serves me correctly.

Bang on. I made a similar point in the Sané thread, it's nice to see the tolerance being afforded him, it's just a shame Sterling isn't afforded the same.

Bang on. I made a similar point in the Sané thread, it's nice to see the tolerance being afforded him, it's just a shame Sterling isn't afforded the same.

I think Sterling's biggest problem is that he got a reputation for missing big chances, like 1v1's when he was at Liverpool, and it's going to take a couple of big goal scoring seasons to shift that public perception. That's just how the footballing public are. There's still a large portion of our fan base which judges Fernando on his first season playing through injury and refuse to see the fact he's now much, much better and has been for 2 years.

For the record, Sané's conversion rate is actually 30% better than Sterling's, albeit from a much, much lower sample and lower shot accuracy.

You're correct that Sterling's is basically the same as Aguero this season though.

This is a very good point. I'm not sure how many clear cut chances Raheem actually misses, everything he does is overdone by the media and fans of other clubs.

As I keep repeating, personally I'm delighted he's a City player. He's brilliant.

Dribblers will always lose the ball more than passers (unless you're Messi).

It's far easier to pass the ball from A to B than it is to dribble past a top level defender.

The benefit of him going past a man (most successful dribbles in the box of any player in Europe's top 5 leagues) is far greater than him losing the ball every now and then when the defender makes the tackle. If you don't want that then you're just turning him into Jesus Navas who is a far less effective player.

If we're talking about passing he has a very good pass completion rate.
My concern has always been his tendency to make a run, bu thrncome back on himself with the ball INSIDE...as in between him and the defender...which allows the defender to dispossess him. Watch David Silva. Always turning with the ball AWAY from the defender, so that if there is a challenge, it is THROUGH him, and usually a foul.

I agree, of course, that a dribbler and winger will lose the ball more than someone tasked with defending, but it is the naive loss of the ball that is irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.