Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not alone. Last season was disgraceful the way some of our fanbase went after him. To not be able to see the player we had and the potential that came with the signing was shortsighted at best.

Yeah, but that comment was from mid-December 2016. Old pete has been doubling down on his opinion this season despite all evidence to the contrary, whereas most can see they were wrong.

Yeah, but that comment was from mid-December 2016. Old pete has been doubling down on his opinion this season despite all evidence to the contrary, whereas most can see they were wrong.
He's a bit of a crank though reading through his post history.

Yeah I'd agree, will get jumped on by some on here for saying it though. You only have to look at the adjectives constantly applied to black players in football to see the undertone.

Arsed. People don't like having their casual racism thrown back at them, but then can't help but call black players lazy, money obsessed, and thick, whilst lauding their white counterparts for being hard working, strong willed, champions. Sterling v Milner in a nutshell.

Arsed. People don't like having their casual racism thrown back at them, but then can't help but call black players lazy, money obsessed, and thick, whilst lauding their white counterparts for being hard working, strong willed, champions. Sterling v Milner in a nutshell.
It's more the positive examples I was going to refer to - Yaya Toure as a case in point, one of the most skillful, cultured and graceful footballers the English game has ever seen and what's the most common term used to describe him? Powerhouse. There's a underlying stereotype towards African or African descent athletes that they can only possess positive physical characteristics rather than technical/mental/cerebral ones. Therefore Sterling can be fast but not skillful, strong but not intelligent etc etc and people constantly assume what are in fact major strengths in his game (vision, positional and spacial awareness, ball control in tight areas) are weaknesses instead of using the evidence in front of their eyes.

Sané gets it as well, I've seen his control in tight areas cited as a weakness on here, only Silva and Yaya have better in the entire squad.

It's more the positive examples I was going to refer to - Yaya Toure as a case in point, one of the most skillful, cultured and graceful footballers the English game has ever seen and what's the most common term used to describe him? Powerhouse. There's a underlying stereotype towards African or African descent athletes that they can only possess positive physical characteristics rather than technical/mental/cerebral ones. Therefore Sterling can be fast but not skillful, strong but not intelligent etc etc and people constantly assume what are in fact major strengths in his game (vision, positional and spacial awareness, ball control in tight areas) are weaknesses instead of using the evidence in front of their eyes.

Sané gets it as well, I've seen his control in tight areas cited as a weakness on here, only Silva and Yaya have better in the entire squad.

Yeah, would go along with all of that too.

Anyway it's becoming more and more moot with regards Sterling. It's crystal clear to most people just how good and how important he is to us.

I Yaya Toure as a case in point, one of the most skillful, cultured and graceful footballers the English game has ever seen and what's the most common term used to describe him? Powerhouse. There's a underlying stereotype towards African or African descent athletes

There's two strong examples of this in both Yaya and Kante being overlooked for POTY awards when both had no clear rival for the award.

As for Raheem, I'll stand by what I said earlier in the season, in that every single kick he takes makes Pellegrini look more and more inept.

In hindsight we can see he was slated for following tactics and had little to do with his abilities, and more likely hurt his confidence more than anything.

There's two strong examples of this in both Yaya and Kante being overlooked for POTY awards when both had no clear rival for the award.

As for Raheem, I'll stand by what I said earlier in the season, in that every single kick he takes makes Pellegrini look more and more inept.

In hindsight we can see he was slated for following tactics and had little to do with his abilities, and more likely hurt his confidence more than anything.
Has a black player ever won player of the season? There's been a few deserving ones, Makelele in 2005/06 and Vieira in 97/98 off the top of my head in addition to the two you named.

That's because of those powerful runs that he became so known for, surely? Toure is also seen as the most complete midfielder in the PL since he joined us. I don't think there are many who would disagree.

I also don't know any football fan who wouldn't describe Sterling as "skillful". Same with Sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.