Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the other thread,I've moved it- ManCity X put this
This post sums it all up for me.

Sterling is a good player, but he's not elite and I'm not sure he ever will be. He has his faults, yes, but I'd only be looking to replace him with an absolute world class talent like Sanchez and he's more than good enough to have a place in any title challenging squad.

However...

He's had a good season overall despite dropping off the last couple of months and there's only a couple of players that are up there with him, and that's Silva and Aguero, purely for his goal scoring.

What I find really disturbing is the underlying dislike, distain and even hate some posters seem to have against him. When you read posts from the likes of Meeesh and the one I've quote from CPB there's just something there that doesn't sit right with me. A dismissive tone where no matter what he does they will never accept him.

At worst Sterling is a top 4 challenger level player, and at his best he can be one of the best players on the field in a high stakes Champions League game.

The power of the media is so strong that when they choose a target it really has a huge impact on how people view them. It's completely irrational that Sterling this season would still be one of the biggest targets and yet you read some comments and you'd think he'd had a season like Bravo. It's actually completely frightening when you think about it.

I'm convinced that if Jesus came down to earth and started fixing the world's problems but the media laid into him 24/7 with a negative agenda that there would be posters on here and everywhere else calling him a wanker and a fraud.

So my reply is this- (as I was quoted)

Well I'm here to defend why I say what I say,I'm always open for debate but the problem is here is quite simple,first things first I don't hate him,the posters backing him to the hilt are caught up in their own hype about him,he's let you down,as well as the sceptics amongst us.

You can count on one bloody hand how many good games he has had this season,one hand,but as 3 of them where "big games" that is all you have to cling onto.

I won't deny he has had a bit of harsh treatment off referees with decisions,but the team as a whole has all season,so that's that point covered.

I go,with my season ticket (not aways too much) but we always available to see on TV,and witness every time he plays,and what I see has not impressed me at all,either on the left or the right.

He gets dropped,then the Sterling defence gang start to say it's because he's had a knock,or not fully fit,absolute bullshit clutching at straws again,to mask the poor form of the guy,you are kidding yourselves at thinking he has been better than last season,where the truth is he hasn't,it is pretty similair,but MP got slated for it last season,so whose fault is it this time then ? Pep's ? Try looking at the player himself for the answer.

People are quick on here to jump in and put up their line of defence for him,but plenty also agree with me,my pm box is testament to that,it is all about opinions,and I'm entitled to mine as a paying customer.

So like I say,I don't hate him,I hope for the best from him every game,even again tomorrow lunchtime (if he's picked) but am I hopeful of that....well Palace,mmm,maybe he can have a run at Martin Kelly and look good for a change,we shall see,but I ain't holding my breath

Been one of the 4 best players of the season for me. Form has dropped the last couple months but that could be said for the whole squad. Post above is bang on, the media is a very powerful tool, and a successful one at that. If he improves again next year, we'll have a hell of a player

Sterling is a good player, but he's not elite and I'm not sure he ever will be. He has his faults, yes, but I'd only be looking to replace him with an absolute world class talent like Sanchez and he's more than good enough to have a place in any title challenging squad.

However...

He's had a good season overall despite dropping off the last couple of months and there's only a couple of players that are up there with him, and that's Silva and Aguero, purely for his goal scoring.

What I find really disturbing is the underlying dislike, distain and even hate some posters seem to have against him. When you read posts from the likes of Meeesh and the one I've quote from CPB there's just something there that doesn't sit right with me. A dismissive tone where no matter what he does they will never accept him.

At worst Sterling is a top 4 challenger level player, and at his best he can be one of the best players on the field in a high stakes Champions League game.

The power of the media is so strong that when they choose a target it really has a huge impact on how people view them. It's completely irrational that Sterling this season would still be one of the biggest targets and yet you read some comments and you'd think he'd had a season like Bravo. It's actually completely frightening when you think about it.

I'm convinced that if Jesus came down to earth and started fixing the world's problems but the media laid into him 24/7 with a negative agenda that there would be posters on here and everywhere else calling him a wanker and a fraud.

Well I'm here to defend why I say what I say,I'm always open for debate but the problem is here is quite simple,first things first I don't hate him,the posters backing him to the hilt are caught up in their own hype about him,he's let you down,as well as the sceptics amongst us.

You can count on one bloody hand how many good games he has had this season,one hand,but as 3 of them where "big games" that is all you have to cling onto.

I won't deny he has had a bit of harsh treatment off referees with decisions,but the team as a whole has all season,so that's that point covered.

I go,with my season ticket (not aways too much) but we always available to see on TV,and witness every time he plays,and what I see has not impressed me at all,either on the left or the right.

He gets dropped,then the Sterling defence gang start to say it's because he's had a knock,or not fully fit,absolute bullshit clutching at straws again,to mask the poor form of the guy,you are kidding yourselves at thinking he has been better than last season,where the truth is he hasn't,it is pretty similair,but MP got slated for it last season,so whose fault is it this time then ? Pep's ? Try looking at the player himself for the answer.

People are quick on here to jump in and put up their line of defence for him,but plenty also agree with me,my pm box is testament to that,it is all about opinions,and I'm entitled to mine as a paying customer.

So like I say,I don't hate him,I hope for the best from him every game,even again tomorrow lunchtime (if he's picked) but am I hopeful of that....well Palace,mmm,maybe he can have a run at Martin Kelly and look good for a change,we shall see,but I ain't holding my breath

I love the claims that the media have swayed our decisions haha! As if I sit at home and think right I am unable to form my own opinion so lets see what everyone else thinks. He has certainly improved ( and fuck me didn't he need to ) but it seems just improving is enough. The post you quoted had a lot of right things about him, the level he is at etc. He would get nowhere near a team competing for the league/champions league as a regular starter.

I love the claims that the media have swayed our decisions haha! As if I sit at home and think right I am unable to form my own opinion so lets see what everyone else thinks. He has certainly improved ( and fuck me didn't he need to ) but it seems just improving is enough. The post you quoted had a lot of right things about him, the level he is at etc. He would get nowhere near a team competing for the league/champions league as a regular starter.

I'm sick to death of people defending him so much,when he fails to deliver when given a chance,I'll answer the question what you have asked the defence gang................We'd get about 25m if he was to go tomorrow,that is because he gets in the England squad,Everton,Southampton in this country would be only the top teams that would take him though,as long as it was paid in installments/performance related,fuck me we would owe them !

I'm sick to death of people defending him so much,when he fails to deliver when given a chance,I'll answer the question what you have asked the defence gang................We'd get about 25m if he was to go tomorrow,that is because he gets in the England squad,Everton,Southampton in this country would be only the top teams that would take him though,as long as it was paid in installments/performance related,fuck me we would owe them !

Sick to death of City fans defending a City player.. He's defended so much because the criticism he gets from his own fan base is absolutetly awful. There's positive criticism and then there's criticism that the likes of you spew, which is of a an extremely derogatory manner.

You say you'd love to be proved wrong, but the minute he makes a mistake you're on his back like he's personally offended you and come gloating in here like you were always right.

Sick to death of City fans defending a City player.. He's defended so much because the criticism he gets from his own fan base is absolutetly awful. There's positive criticism and then there's criticism that the likes of you spew, which is of a an extremely derogatory manner.

You say you'd love to be proved wrong, but the minute he makes a mistake you're on his back like he's personally offended you and come gloating in here like you were always right.

Gloating ? Don't talk daft

I asked before and no one has answered, we put him up for sale tomorrow, what clubs want him and how much does he go for?

Nobody answered the question because there isn't an answer. I could say Real Madrid for £100m or Brentford for £100k and you can't disprove either. It's make believe stuff and as such doesn't back up either side of the debate.

The only people on here who think they can answer that question definitively are talking out of their arse and will just say whatever delusional bullshit reflects their personal opinion.

Nobody answered the question because there isn't an answer. I could say Real Madrid for £100m or Brentford for £100k and you can't disprove either. It's make believe stuff and as such doesn't back up either side of the debate.

The only people on here who think they can answer that question definitively are talking out of their arse and will just say whatever delusional bullshit reflects their personal opinion.

That'll be me then

However...

Mate, that is your opinion, however, the way it is presented is bloody ridiculous..

Reading the narrative you have gone up a notch since billy interjected, like you're trying to goad him back in to discussion, just my take...

It's one of these situations that you'll never agree on as a players attributes are exclusive to the viewer. I could point towards seeing a young lad who has worked his bollocks off all season, in a new system, putting his best figures up on the board and looking like there is more in the tank, you obviously see different but a conspiracy? A covenant of 'city' fans who have an agenda?? Come on man, this looks fuelled by historical opinion(s) and one has to admit when they are overly critical, I've done it myself with silva come to mention it, probably still overly critical (still couldn't score in a brothel), however, he's been brilliant this year and I'd be everything I hate about football fans if I couldn't admit that... a red **** no less!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.