Raheem Sterling - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much everything else. I think he is a technically limited footballer who been blessed with the ability to run fast. I think there's been plenty like him before and there will be plenty others like him in the future. I don't see any huge difference between him and someone like Walcott. Both very inconsistent but both post decent numbers. I think the easiest way for me to articulate how I feel about Sterling is to compare him to Sane, they play the same position on opposite sides of the pitch, both quick, both young and make mistakes, both post decent numbers. Only one of them will be anything like world class.

So you didn't really say anything other than him being technically limited. Look he's not the most well rounded technically I won't deny that but he's much better than you give him credit for. The only technical part of sane's game that is superior to sterling's is when shooting the ball and also a slightly better close control when dribbling but outside of that there's really nothing else that sane is much better in technique wise. They are both hit and miss with their through-balls and passes, they are both fairly good with first touch, sterling is slightly better playing with his weaker foot,they can both play quick interchanges in tight spaces.

Tactically speaking, sterling is more versed and has a better understanding of the game than sane has. He has better decision making as hard as that might be for some of you to understand, better awareness of space, better use of space, better movement and positional play. Basically most every part of the tactical side of the game sterling is better than sane. You will find Pep deploy him as a number 8 or false 9 in games at times more than sane. This is not to say sane is not tactically sound, in fact you won't find many young players with his tactical understanding of the game its just when compared to sterling who's is at the level of a seasoned pro already it pales in comparison. You only need to look at what he did for liverpool at just 19 playing as a no10 behind the strikers to see that. That's why like I've already mentioned that for a player with some of his technical deficiencies sterling is still highly trusted by most top coaches and can still post such high numbers. He has posted double digits in goals mostly as a winger the past 4 seasons and this is from someone who has trouble striking the ball cleanly, if that doesn't tell you about how high his football IQ must be then I don't know what will.

Comparisons to the likes of walcott is so far off that I'm shocked some still make them. Play walcott anywhere outside of winger or striker where he can make the most use of his intelligent movement and good finishing ability and he's clueless to what to do on the pitch. His technical ability outside of shooting is inferior to sterling's, his tactical understanding outside of his movement is also inferior to sterling's. Literally no top coach will take him over sterling if offered the opportunity and in fact it was reported that wenger was looking at sterling to replace him when he was having his contract issues at liverpool. So people who watch and study the game understand that despite some of his weaknesses, sterling has far more to his game that he brings to the side besides just being able to run fast and I'm happy Pep and his coaching staff are one of those who recognise it.

Last edited:
So you didn't really say anything other than him being technically limited. Look he's not the most well rounded technically I won't deny that but he's much better than you give him credit for. The only technical part of sane's game that is superior to sterling's is when shooting the ball and also a slightly better close control when dribbling but outside of that there's really nothing else that sane is much better in technique wise. They are both hit and miss with their through-balls and passes, they are both fairly good with first touch, sterling is slightly better playing with his weaker foot,they can both play quick interchanges in tight spaces.

Tactically speaking, sterling is more versed and has a better understanding of the game than sane has. He has better decision making as hard as that might be for some of you to understand, better awareness of space, better use of space, better movement and positional play. Basically most every part of the tactical side of the game sterling is better than sane. You will find Pep deploy him as a number 8 or false 9 in games at times more than sane. This is not to say sane is not tactically sound, in fact you won't find many young players with his tactical understanding of the game its just when compared to sterling who's is at the level of a seasoned pro already it pales in comparison. You only need to look at what he did for liverpool at just 19 playing as a no10 behind the strikers to see that. That's why like I've already mentioned that for a player with some of his technical deficiencies sterling is still highly trusted by most top coaches and can still post such high numbers. He has posted double digits in goals the past 4 seasons and this is from someone who has trouble striking the ball cleanly, if that doesn't tell you about how high his football IQ must be then I don't know what will.

Comparisons to the likes of walcott is so far off that I'm shocked some still make them. Play walcott anywhere outside of winger or striker where he can make the most use of his intelligent movement and good finishing ability and he's clueless to what to do on the pitch. His technical ability outside of shooting is inferior to sterling's, his tactical understanding outside of his movement is also inferior to sterling's. Literally no top coach will take him over sterling if offered the opportunity and in fact it was reported that wenger was looking at sterling to replace him when he was having his contract issues at liverpool. So people who watch and study the game understand that despite some of his weaknesses, sterling has far more to his game that he brings to the side besides just being able to run fast and I'm happy Pep and his coaching staff are one of those who recognise it.

Ok, you've written a lot in your response and I appreciate you doing so and youve compared both Sane and Sterling as I had, clearly we have differing views. With that in mind I am going to ask you two simple questions:

1. If you managed another club and were given the option to buy Sterling or Sane, who would you buy?
2. Who will be the better player in years to come?

For all SWP's shooting prowess he managed 40 league goals in his career from 368 appearances. Quite a few of those outside of the premier league.

Sterling has 31 goals in the premier league from 159 appearances. He won't be 23 until December.

For all SWP's shooting prowess he managed 40 league goals in his career from 368 appearances. Quite a few of those outside of the premier league.

Sterling has 31 goals in the premier league from 159 appearances. He won't be 23 until December.
Booooo he's limited though and not technically gifted booooo! ;)

Ok, you've written a lot in your response and I appreciate you doing so and youve compared both Sane and Sterling as I had, clearly we have differing views. With that in mind I am going to ask you two simple questions:

1. If you managed another club and were given the option to buy Sterling or Sane, who would you buy?
2. Who will be the better player in years to come?

1. Currently if you offered me the option between the two, I will definitely choose sterling over sane as he has more in his game to easily accommodate into and pick up a different system/style of play.
2. Sane will most likely end up being the better player as the areas that he needs to improve will be much easier coached into with the likes of Pep at the helm and will also end up being the more technically rounded player while sterling you feel will never be as well-versed technically even if I believe he can still end up being a World class winger who can consistently get you 15+ goals and 20+ assists as a result of his football intelligence. Basically the team will be lucky to have both of them in the same side at their peak but Sane will be something special if he fully realises his potential

Well said mate and its what really fucking irks me in discussions about our club, its players and manager right now.

Narratives have been established regardless of fact and they have been swallowed hook line and sinker by far too many blues.

Raz can't shoot, score or create chances yet the proof is there that he can actually do all those things.

Can he improve? Of course he can and at just 23 years old, he will do exactly that under the best manager in the world and in a team that will showcase his talents for years to come.

Well said mate and its what really fucking irks me in discussions about our club, its players and manager right now.

Narratives have been established regardless of fact and they have been swallowed hook line and sinker by far too many blues.

Raz can't shoot, score or create chances yet the proof is there that he can actually do all those things.

Can he improve? Of course he can and at just 23 years old, he will do exactly that under the best manager in the world and in a team that will showcase his talents for years to come.

Agree with the rest though, he's our second highest goalscorer, yet he gets more stick for not scoring enough than anyone else.

Agree with the rest though, he's our second highest goalscorer, yet he gets more stick for not scoring enough than anyone else.

My bad as i took his age of the poster i responded to but my sentiment remains.

Raz is without a doubt one of the biggest talents in world football and he is ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.