Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

Agree. To me he looked very much a player who benefited from being surrounded by far better players than himself.

Now obviously most players are going to look better when surrounded by top players, but to me you could have replaced him with other effective wingers at that time and they'd have done equally as well if not better.
And yet he was consistently the first name on the team sheet, often ahead of Sane, who most people would claim was the better technical player and better finisher. In reality, Sterling's off the ball movement was world class and his workrate was fantastic, which is why he was always on the end of balls that others would be nowhere near.

And yet he was consistently the first name on the team sheet, often ahead of Sane, who most people would claim was the better technical player and better finisher. In reality, Sterling's off the ball movement was world class and his workrate was fantastic, which is why he was always on the end of balls that others would be nowhere near.
Fair enough. I agree about his workrate and off the ball movement, which are definitely his biggest strengths as a player.

Pep did like him a lot because he could get goals and assists, but I stand by that there were much more talented players in the team - yes, including Sane. Now whether that matters much is up for debate as application of talent is more important than just having it.

I notice I have agreed with you as a poster generally, but respectfully, don't agree with that at all. Now I am not saying Neto will be a success there, as they're a basket case, but technically - first touch, dribbling, link-up - I'd say he has more tools to his game than Sterling. Certainly an out-of-form Sterling. Prime Sterling is more effective - but Neto when fit (which is rare) is more of a maverick. Neto to me looks like more of a natural footballer. Sterling has never looked like a natural footballer to me - he takes scrappy touches, makes technical errors etc.

But then I have never been much of a fan of Sterling, even when he was good. I said he was a player well on the way down when he signed there, and wouldn't do anything for Chelsea. Still time for him to prove me wrong but not looking good for him. To be fair the club is a mess so he's only partially responsible for his poorness.

But overall, he was a pointless signing for Chelsea as he wasn't going to improve them. Nobody can though really, due to the systemic issues they have as a club.
You werent a fan of raz even when he was good

When are the school holidays over

He made the point he'd have scored even more (over 200) if he had football IQ and finishing ability.

That City team Sterling was in was sensational and he was accommodated very well despite being one of the least talented players in the side. I believe he was made to look far better than he is by probably the best coach ever.
I see that you have "neutral" listed as "team supported".
I'm curious as to how much of City did you watch while Sterling was with us?

I see that you have "neutral" listed as "team supported".
I'm curious as to how much of City did you watch while Sterling was with us?
I expect he is talking bollocks , it a team full of talent so are we going to say kev only looked good because he played with good players ? I just dont get the hatred for raz , he just couldnt fucking win with some people

He made the point he'd have scored even more (over 200) if he had football IQ and finishing ability.

That City team Sterling was in was sensational and he was accommodated very well despite being one of the least talented players in the side. I believe he was made to look far better than he is by probably the best coach ever.

He may have been frustrating at times, but he certainly did what was needed for us at times.

some last-minute winners for one.

He may have been frustrating at times, but he certainly did what was needed for us at times.

some last-minute winners for one.
And the brilliant cross to spark the comeback against Villa, on the final day of the 21/22 season.

See the Ilkay Gündoğan thread in the transfer forum.

I liked it when he tripped over his own feet when he was clear through on goal leaving it to Sergio to score from an impossible angle beating two defenders on the line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.