Rainbow laces campaign

Do you hold the same view with regards to the 'Kick It Out' campaign?

In other words, when the PL, FA, UEFA and FIFA ask players to hold up anti-racism banners and wear anti-racism t-shirts before a game (as they often do), would you prefer that players didn't oblige and didn't get involved?

Perhaps I am in a little bubble living down in rural South Cheshire, but I would like to think and get the impression that racism in football stadiums and in the general population (white..which every one of these campaigns is aimed at) is pretty much on the decline and the small minority who retain these views wont change one bit due to kick it out. On that basis it does annoy me having it constantly rammed down my throat. I cannot think of one person I know who doesnt like or has a problem with black people. Infact the only people I have met in recent times who were openly racist were Eastern Europeans and they are more racist than I have ever seen in my 52yrs in this country.

However the race issue would still seem to be very much an issue in other European Countries and beyond and therefore educating and getting the message out there through football can only be a good thing.

I dont know much about kick it out, but if thier target audience is in England then I think its one more campaign that keeps some people very wealthy and in the spotlight, whilst preaching to the converted.

Perhaps I am in a little bubble living down in rural South Cheshire, but I would like to think and get the impression that racism in football stadiums and in the general population (white..which every one of these campaigns is aimed at) is pretty much on the decline and the small minority who retain these views wont change one bit due to kick it out. On that basis it does annoy me having it constantly rammed down my throat. I cannot think of one person I know who doesnt like or has a problem with black people. Infact the only people I have met in recent times who were openly racist were Eastern Europeans and they are more racist than I have ever seen in my 52yrs in this country.

However the race issue would still seem to be very much an issue in other European Countries and beyond and therefore educating and getting the message out there through football can only be a good thing.

I dont know much about kick it out, but if thier target audience is in England then I think its one more campaign that keeps some people very wealthy and in the spotlight, whilst preaching to the converted.
My question was to see if there was any consistency in capiloton's stance on players advocating campaigns; i.e. if he/she is happy for players to get involved in anti-racism campaigns then why should he/she have a problem with players doing it for anti-homophobia campaigns? If indeed it's the case that he/she is happy with the former but not the latter, then that could suggest that capiloton's objection to the rainbow laces is born more out of his own feelings about homosexuality rather than about, as he/she claims, the 'forcing' of players to get involved in an anti-discrimination campaign.

I witness racism on a weekly basis in Oldham, so I'd appreciate that particular problem being "rammed down people's throats" more than it currently is.

I witness racism on a weekly basis in Oldham, so I'd appreciate that particular problem being "rammed down people's throats" more than it currently is.

I am truly sorry you do.

However this would clearly indicate that the time and effort and no small amount of money that is used in campaigns would be better spent waging them in the communities where this happens. Both through education and thorough investigation of the reason why it happens there and those issues dealt with. How many of the culprits would you imagine attend City games? I guarantee most wont and hence kick it out will have no impact whatsoever.

I am truly sorry you do.

However this would clearly indicate that the time and effort and no small amount of money that is used in campaigns would be better spent waging them in the communities where this happens. Both through education and thorough investigation of the reason why it happens there and those issues dealt with. How many of the culprits would you imagine attend City games? I guarantee most wont and hence kick it out will have no impact whatsoever.

Nobody is suggesting that Kick It Out or Rainbow Laces aim to win over every single bigot out there. These campaigns also exist to offer support to people who have historically felt unable to go to football, matches, to enjoy the game and leave everything else at the door, because it's a hostile and unwelcoming atmosphere for them.

It's there to try and ensure that talented gay kids who would have previously walked away from football in the past aren't completely lost to the game. There probably are gay top level footballers, but not as many as people think, because they ditch it at youth level. Anything that can make them feel that there's a place for them in the game is important.

These campaigns say to those who are on the receiving end of racist and homophobic abuse, that they are welcome and that they belong in the crowd, above the racists and the homophobes. They might also empower all fans (regardless of whether they're from a minority group or not) to feel they can report abuse and hopefully root out the minority of people that are causing these problems.

It's so easy to ignore these campaigns if you're not interested. Nothing has or ever will be rammed down anyone's throats. Also willing to bet my life that a sizeable number of the people complaining that rainbow laces are ramming an issue down their throats are the very same people slagging off James MacLean for choosing to not wear a poppy. So let's not pretend this is to do with anyone having anything forced upon them, it's the subject matter they don't like.

Nobody is suggesting that Kick It Out or Rainbow Laces aim to win over every single bigot out there. These campaigns also exist to offer support to people who have historically felt unable to go to football, matches, to enjoy the game and leave everything else at the door, because it's a hostile and unwelcoming atmosphere for them.

It's there to try and ensure that talented gay kids who would have previously walked away from football in the past aren't completely lost to the game. There probably are gay top level footballers, but not as many as people think, because they ditch it at youth level. Anything that can make them feel that there's a place for them in the game is important.

These campaigns say to those who are on the receiving end of racist and homophobic abuse, that they are welcome and that they belong in the crowd, above the racists and the homophobes. They might also empower all fans (regardless of whether they're from a minority group or not) to feel they can report abuse and hopefully root out the minority of people that are causing these problems.

It's so easy to ignore these campaigns if you're not interested. Nothing has or ever will be rammed down anyone's throats. Also willing to bet my life that a sizeable number of the people complaining that rainbow laces are ramming an issue down their throats are the very same people slagging off James MacLean for choosing to not wear a poppy. So let's not pretend this is to do with anyone having anything forced upon them, it's the subject matter they don't like.

There is nothing you say that I would greatly disagree with. My opinion however remains that certainly as far as the match going fan base of most football clubs these days are pretty much past these kind of prejudice. I cannot for one minute imagine any supporters being remotely bothered if it turned out that one or more of our players were gay, infact the vast majority would not be interested at all.

If there is any problems within the clubs academies or a hostile to gay players being present within the teams at any level that is a problem for the footballing authorities.

My own view remains that the considerable amount of money spent on these things would be far better spent targeting areas and enviroments where there remains a serious issue with such unacceptable behaviours. I would further suggest that the decision to target the football going public rather than hard core areas of problems is more about those who run them than those whom they target. I am by and large of the view that people should be given a break from the constant barrage of politically correct propaganda that is a constant presence in almost every walk of life.

Now people might say you would have a different view if you had been on the end of prejudice or even worse, abuse. Well I have and I absolutely guarantee that I have had much more of it than 99% of gay, Muslim, or any other group of people. I have had it for all of my adult life. That abuse prejudice and bullying has had a devastating effect on my life, furthermore I equally guarantee that at least 80% of Bluemooners many of whom are happy to openly condemn bigotry and racism are and have been guilty of making completely unacceptable comments and expressing totally unacceptable opinions.

Suffice to say I have a condition that involves a considerable but largely invisable disability that have both physical and mental aspects. Yet sufferers of my and similar conditions are subject to abuse and prejudice on a huge scale but by and large society does little about it. I wont go into it all as I have no intention of hijacking this thread to bang on about my own issues with abuse, prejudice and bullying. I do point this out to quash any accusations of homophobia and the like. After all many on here and in the wider world are incredibly quick to get the answer five when presented with 2+2. The reason this happens is because they are desperate to be seen and heard championing a cause in the knowledge that they are first and foremost championing themselves.

Would I want to see City or football in general highlighting my condition? Not really and certainly not on matchday in the stadium. I am quite capable of putting people in the picture myself and prefer to fight my own battles but that is just me.

As for James MacClean not wearing a poppy well thats for another thread of course, but suffice to say I am in full agreement with those who strongly disapprove of his stance.

It’s a great campaign and hopefully it will attract more media attention and support with each passing year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.