Rained off ?

Unless my mind is playing tricks there is a strange and notable omission from this thread.

In the 1977/8 season we were scheduled to play united at old trafford in the early part of 1978. My memory is that I was 8 years old and playing football with my mates in the pouring rain behind my mum and dad's house in South Manchester, waiting for the game to start. When I went in to listen to it on the radio my mum said it had been postponed due to the rain, which in all fairness was incessant.

The re-scheduled game was on a weekday night in the March and my united supporting dad took me to the game. It was my first ever Derby. Even though I was sat in the united end (scoreboard end) with my rag dad I still had all my City scarves etc on.

united went two nil up and I started crying. I remember, in all fairness, a united fan sat behind us trying to reassure me. Anyway City came back and scored two goals from Barnes and Kidd (I wonder what became of them;-) ) and I left happy, to say the least.

Can Gary or anyone else confirm that I'm not going mad about my recollection of this please :-)

I remember the 1960 derby match at Maine Road. I stood in my usual spot in the Scoreboard end, and got absolutely soaked to the skin. The match was called off at half-time when the score was 2 all. When it was replayed at the end of the season the rags won 3-1, but this included one "scored" by Alex Dawson , at the scoreboard end , when he punched the ball in the net, and the "goal" was allowed. They have always got the decisions, apart from Tuesday night, ha ha ha.

One of the wettest games I remember was in the 70's during the three day week debacle. The game had to played in the afternoon because floodlights were banned. We were playing Coventry in the League Cup and scraped through 4-3 I think, Tommy Booth bagged one of them. I had a job in Bradford that day and it was raining for days so it was an early start for me to get there and back for two clock kick off. Right from the start the feeling was it would not go the distance but it was finished o.k.
Got back in work later and my old boss saw me drenched to the bone and said with a smile ( he knew where I had been) that he did not know I had an open top car.

mscenterh750 said:
That's the one I was thinking in 94 when Michel Vonk scored and Ingebrigsten played but didn't score, and I had a feeling it was Ipswich.

You were right mate. Ingebrigtsen and Vonk scored, remember it 'cause it would've been his first goal for the club. Called off almost instantly after Kare scored with us 2-0 up IIRC. City won the rearranged fixture 2–1.

knuckles said:
Remember an away match at white hart lane against spuds rained off, the game didn't even start, early 90's I think. It was a long way to drive there and back in that rain
You're right,it was memorable for me as it was the first time I'd met my future in-laws.
As the game had been abandoned we went to Twickenham to watch Ireland against England,I worked with a lad that played for London Irish and he sorted us out with tickets and and ale.
My ex's parents were not impressed when I fell asleep in the restaraunt that evening.

the-ecstacy-of-eight said:
mscenterh750 said:
That's the one I was thinking in 94 when Michel Vonk scored and Ingebrigsten played but didn't score, and I had a feeling it was Ipswich.

You were right mate. Ingebrigtsen and Vonk scored, remember it 'cause it would've been his first goal for the club. Called off almost instantly after Kare scored with us 2-0 up IIRC. City won the rearranged fixture 2–1.

Is this the one??

4410757829_4e542a9acd.jpg

babyape said:
the-ecstacy-of-eight said:
mscenterh750 said:

Is this the one??

4410757829_4e542a9acd.jpg

No, thats called squirting and youve posted on the wrong site ;)

Was it Burnley 6-0 which was an absolute mud bath about 4 years ago?

I remember watching that one with my feet up in sunny Spain...

Didn't we play Leicester at Maine Road in the mid 90's and the pitch was atrocious?

Mark Bobbins got their winner I think.

Here is a list of the City games abandoned since World War Two:

(Scores as they stood when called off):

Jan '56: Blackpool (H) 1-1 (56 mins)
Feb '58: Birmingham (H) 1-1 (40 mins)
Aug '60: Man Utd (H) 2-2 (56 mins)
Jan '61: Luton (A) 6-2 (69 mins)
Dec '62 Aston Villa (A) 1-0 (48 mins)
Sep '65 Norwich (H) 1-1 (half-time)
Feb '69 Newcastle (H) 1-1 (41 mins)
Jan '94 Ipswich (H) 2-0 (39 mins)
Dec 2000 Ipswich (H) 1-1 (23 mins)

Seven out of the nine have been at home.
(This list was complete up to 2006. I don't recall any since, as with the improvement in pitches rain is absorbed more easily.)
I hope this clears things up or jogs a few memories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.