Random Question

baylorblue

When Hull was promoted, who replaced them as the biggest city never to have been represented in the top flight of English football?

but bristol city have played in the top flight. it is a hard question to answer because it is a bit like the which is the largest town/city never to have had a league team. it seems to depend on what you consider the population of a place to be. meaning is it the city/town boundaries or the metropolitan area. at one time salford as seperate from manchester was considered the answer to that one but various answers would give you dudley, croydon and now i believe the correct one is wakefield. so largest not to have a team played in top flight i would guess is plymouth.

i knew city had played top flight and that rovers hadn't.
your probably right in saying plymouth.

According to a stats book I have from the late 1980s, after Hull the next largest town/city never to have had a Division One club (top flight) is Plymouth. According to that book the population of Hull was 280,000 and Plymouth 250,000. Obviously, those figures will have changed, but I guess it's still Plymouth.

Worth pointing out, it has often been reported that the City of Salford is the largest never to have had a League club. United play in the metroplitan borough of Trafford which is neither in the city of Manchester nor city of Salford (though a lot tend to think it is).

The A-Z of British Football Records (produced at various times in the 70s, 80s and early 90s) claims:

Salford (150,000) is the largest separate town (i.e. excluding London boroughs) never to have had a League club, although Manchester United play right on its border.

Elsewhere it states that there are 3 clubs that play outside of their 'home' town - Nottm Forest (West Bridgford), Grimsby (Cleethorpes) and: Manchester United's Old Trafford was (and still is) in Stretford. Obviously, since then other clubs have moved.

Another odd stat - according to that book Bristol is the largest major urban centre never to have had any of its sides win a major trophy. It did also say Middlesbrough, but that's happened since.

I love odd bits of trivia like that.

There must be loads more strange statistics too. Like perhaps which town or city has produced the most England internationals?

The Pink Panther said:
Have Stockport County ever played in the top tier? The population of Stockport is around 280,000

Its a town not really a City, and god help us if them w*nkers get to the top flight, I hate Coun'eh

Lancashire Blue said:
I love odd bits of trivia like that.

There must be loads more strange statistics too. Like perhaps which town or city has produced the most England internationals?

Ashton Under Lyne has produced 2 World Cup winners - Geoff Hurst and Simone Perrotta.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.