Rate this season

We are still the most entertaining team to watch and, as usual, scored more goals in all competitions than anyone else. (121..more than Chelsea and even Spurs) It was our best ever season away from home. The Barca and Monaco home matches were up there with the best I have seen in over 50 years of watching City. The roller coaster will continue.

The first leg of the Monaco matchup incapsuled the season for me. All Time bonkers match where we simply out slugged the other club in a goals bonanza. The low waa the first Leister City match. It took a long time but the defense finally jelled when Willy started and the Kompany/Otamendi partnership lined up.

The scum have had a better season than us, says it all really

Not in my book. I get enjoyment from watching us play good football rather than just winning trophies. I certainly couldn't watch the turgid crap the rags have turned out and would much rather watch City play the way we have and win nothing, than win a second rate trophy or two playing their way.

Putting a rating on this season seems to be near impossible. In terms of trophies obviously it was disappointing, but in terms of style of play I thought we were given an absolute treat this season. I, like the majority of supporters was completely consumed by the untamed expectation levels when Pep was announced but looking back that was hardly fair.

The bigger picture is we have gone from a side who plays a set 4-4-2 to a side who experiments with inverted full backs and false 8s. And obviously this takes some time to learn, especially with many aging players at the end of their careers struggling to adapt. But yet again we were all aware of these problems at the beginning of the season, however I think all of them being in the final year of their contract made them impossible to move out.

For us to move forward I think Willy, Zaba (confirmed), Sagna, Clichy & Navas need to be moved on. And if Pep isn’t going to give them a run there is no point having Fernando or Nolito on the books. This with the probability of selling Hart, Mangala, Nasri & Bony means the wage budget for incoming players looks very juicy.

The young signings we made were absolutely incredible. Gabriel Jesus is almost too good to be true at that age. And Sane is quickly becoming my favourite player, every time he gets a sniff of a 1 on 1 he has you on your feet in anticipation. Stones took a little longer in a struggling defence but still think he will come right. The way Gundogan was playing and adding goals from midfield you can only imagine the difference if he had been able to stay fit the entire season. Sterling looked the kid we bought for 49mil and was clearly our best player the first half of the season. Aguero having his best goal scoring season should definitely go some way to convince him to believe in Peps methods as well.

The highlight as a South African fan was obviously getting to come over and watch us dismantle West Ham at the Etihad. And will be the first of many games I make the trip to watch.

All I can say is if Pep gets who he wants we are in for a massive year next year!
Good summary, hope you get over to enjoy many more matches.

3/10 based on a 5 average.

There's been positives in terms of player development and especially tactical complexity/understanding.

But we didn't put up a fight in any major competition, there was no focus on developing Academy players and we yet again had problems/drama in the squad that was thought to be a thing of the past. For a club of our ambition that is not good enough.

Hart has had a torrid time at Torino so his loan move was correct. However, Bravo has been a disaster and it's difficult to see him competing in a City shirt again. A poor move in from Pep there. You need a top notch keeper.

3/10 based on a 5 average.

There's been positives in terms of player development and especially tactical complexity/understanding.

But we didn't put up a fight in any major competition, there was no focus on developing Academy players and we yet again had problems/drama in the squad that was thought to be a thing of the past. For a club of our ambition that is not good enough.
3/10 on a team finishing 3rd.

My how times have changed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.