Ray Wilkins RIP

RIP

wilkins.png

I like to think of Ray Wilkins as the Gareth Barry of his day(and I mean that in the nicest possible way), before we signed Barry I just didn't get it I didn't see why a succession of England managers had him in the Squad let alone the team, but watching him week in week out it became clear over time that he was actually a much better player than you thought. As City supporters we never got to see that in Wilkins

RIP Ray.

I think I saw his last game for the rags as I was in London for a few days and popped along to Tottenham.
(May 1984)

Sad new, RIP Ray, a better player than some give him credit for.

It's been good to listen to a lot of highly respected football people explain why he was a good footballer. I am 40 now, so only caught the tail end of his career. All I have to go on are the stories you hear about the sideways passing and stuff.
The consistent thing being said today is about him wanting the ball under any circumstances, no matter what pressure he was under. Apparently he could keep hold of it no matter what and then always found a team mate. He was the one that dictated play. Considering the era he played, where it was the midfield hard man that was lauded, that must have been pretty difficult. The general consensus seems to be that his style would have thrived in the modern era.

I like to think of Ray Wilkins as the Gareth Barry of his day(and I mean that in the nicest possible way), before we signed Barry I just didn't get it I didn't see why a succession of England managers had him in the Squad let alone the team, but watching him week in week out it became clear over time that he was actually a much better player than you thought. As City supporters we never got to see that in Wilkins
He was good enough to play for 3 years in Serie A when it was probably the most technically accomplished league in Europe.

I didn't think he was a particularly insightful pundit but I don't recall him being vindictive about City unlike some journos and pundits, I felt he just offered an honest opinion, good or bad.

RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.