RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

I think the problem lies with our front three more than midfield.
Grealish assists and goals stats say it all. Never gives the ball away but creates nothing.
Mahrez blows hot and cold. Neither he or Grealish get the ball across to EH, both always cut back in on their preferred foot. They never mix it up and swap wings mid game.
It’s all been said about Haaland , but as a trio they don’t gel.
Something has to change.
I would Foden an extended run on the left.
He worked well with EH early season. He is direct, sees a pass and can score.

Away draw in CL isn't a particularly bad result, the opposition were decent but no more than that
Pre-game a draw is a decent result

At 8:45 last night when the tie (never mind the game) should be over its a poor result

I couldn't believe how bad Leipzig were in that first half and I couldn't believe how bad we were in the second half (although nowhere near as poor as Leipzig had been in the first 45 minutes)

I thought it was a goid game last night, with two good technical teams. Id take a draw any day. First half our shape and willingness to attack was a breath of fresh air. They reacted very well. Pressed certain players and left others alone, they made good choices and deserved the draw. Possible oen for us at the death? Why nobreplays? All in all an enjoyable game (and it is a game afterall,).
TBH I didn't enjoy it much. And I don't mean them scoring, which tbh I fully expected and then just though "yep".

I thought our passing and ball retention in the first half was excellent - truly impressive in fact - so I enjoyed that a bit. But I watched and saw what I've seen for weeks now, no real threat, no expectation that we were going to start banging the goals in, or even a goal. Noticeable that our only goal came from their mistake, and yes I know if my aunt had bollocks etc, but were it not for that 1 mistake, we'd have lost.

So overall, tbh, I found it quite boring. This sense that we could play for 3 hours without scoring, just passing it around aimlessly for hour after hour.

In the the 10 minutes when Leipzig were on top, they looked vastly more threatening than we did in the other 80. Fast, dynamic, pacy. Something we just don't do any more. Even when we broke on the counter with Leipzig all out of position, Grealish had a simple through ball to Haaland, but no, stopped on the half way line, stood around a bit and passed it backwards. Predictable, and very very dull.

Grealish assists and goals stats say it all. Never gives the ball away but creates nothing.
Mahrez blows hot and cold. Neither he or Grealish get the ball across to EH, both always cut back in on their preferred foot. They never mix it up and swap wings mid game.
Something has to change.
Phil will definitely start Saturday, so here's hoping mate

Something has to change.
I think playing the inverted wingers really doesn't help. 95% of the time both Grealish and Mahrez cut back inside and keep possession rather than try and create something that ends in the ball being delivered into the box. Nearly every time it revolves around the ball being in central positions, and allows the opposition to play narrow and stifle any space Haaland might have.

When City have the ball teams just focus on stopping City through the middle by allowing the wide men to just cut back inside, force the ball inside to Gundo / Rodri knowing there is little chance they can hurt you and cut off the central passing lanes to Haaland making it almost impossible to play him in.

Look back to earlier in the season when we scoring a lot of goals and Haaland looked unstoppable. Didn't really come from central areas, came from balls into the box for him to attack. Deep early balls from wide mostly from Kev, but even those have dried up. We have regressed so far from that early play that Haaland doesn't have a bloody clue where to attack at the moment and we need to change that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.