Reading Challenge 2022

I tend to blow hot and cold with my reading but will aim to contribute to this thread if I get time off from listening to new albums to review. Could combine the two depending on the music. I treated myself to Steinbeck’s Tortilla Flat/ Cannery Row/ Sweet Thursday over Christmas which I have read before. Also received The Catcher in the Rye which I haven’t read.

Currently reading a golf psychology book which probably doesn’t count. It’s good though

hi what is the golf book , I have the chipping yips

New to this , but here goes.
Started( and finished ) Amor Towles book , The Lincoln Highway.
A 50 s based road trip novel based on two brothers efforts to find their Mum . Really enjoyed this one . Feel free to pm me and I’ll pass it on .
Currently between two, neither of which are light reading .
Boys in Zinc by Svetlana Alexievich , which is all about first hand stories of Russians during the Afghan conflict , and Columbine by Dave Cullen .
Both utterly absorbing and painful at the same time

got a few for Christmas that I'm really looking forward to

John Cooper Clarke - I wanna be yours
Hell and Good Company (Spanish Civil War) and
David Tomlinson - Disney's British Gentleman

I tend to blow hot and cold with my reading but will aim to contribute to this thread if I get time off from listening to new albums to review. Could combine the two depending on the music. I treated myself to Steinbeck’s Tortilla Flat/ Cannery Row/ Sweet Thursday over Christmas which I have read before. Also received The Catcher in the Rye which I haven’t read.

Currently reading a golf psychology book which probably doesn’t count. It’s good though
Ah another John Steinbeck reader! I think I've read about 17 Steinbecks. Ask the man on the street to name 3 of his books and he'll probably say Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. I would say that Cannery Row is easily better than Eden. Grapes is an awesome book but Eden was a bit underwhelming for me. The Wayward Bus is my tip for less well known Steinbecks.

I don't want to be negative but avoid The Short Reign of Pippin lV, it's awful!

Hi @RobMCFC I used to read loads. Last year hardly anything so this thread might act as an encouragement to change that. I like 'classics' both ancient and modern and if I had to choose a favourite it would probably be Great Expectations. I'm a sucker for Tolkien and some of Stephen Kings stuff. I would class The Stand as a modern classic.
Can someone recommend a book to get me started this year? Preferably a real 'can't put down' page turner to get me back in the habit.
Thanks in advance.

@ob @Paladin

As a “thank you” for reading my books, I have set “The Mysterious Mr Gooch” to FREE for a few days from 8.00 AM tomorrow morning (just double-check that it is £0.00 before downloading because sometimes the Amazon timings can be slightly off - it all runs on Pacific Standard Time).

The book is a short story related to the trilogy and as long as you’ve read “Monkey Arkwright”, it can be read at any time without spoiling the main plot.
Downloaded it thanks. Read your bio and like the front cover of the book

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.