Reading Challenge 2022

@ob @Paladin

As a “thank you” for reading my books, I have set “The Mysterious Mr Gooch” to FREE for a few days from 8.00 AM tomorrow morning (just double-check that it is £0.00 before downloading because sometimes the Amazon timings can be slightly off - it all runs on Pacific Standard Time).

The book is a short story related to the trilogy and as long as you’ve read “Monkey Arkwright”, it can be read at any time without spoiling the main plot.
Fantastic, loved it, thanks

Am re reading all Anne Rule's books at the moment, mainly because they are free on Kindle Unlimited ;-)
I love true crime.
I'm not a massive fan of AR though, mainly because the victim always appears angelic. However, she is a great scene setter and always makes you feel you are "there." Not Truman Capote style obviously, but she had a way of telling a true crime story.
Going to read 1984 by Orwell next.

Am re reading all Anne Rule's books at the moment, mainly because they are free on Kindle Unlimited ;-)
I love true crime.
I'm not a massive fan of AR though, mainly because the victim always appears angelic. However, she is a great scene setter and always makes you feel you are "there." Not Truman Capote style obviously, but she had a way of telling a true crime story.
Going to read 1984 by Orwell next.
I finally got around to reading 1984 a couple of years ago and was really disappointed. Fantastic idea, obviously, and scary how some of the ideas about doublespeak etc have come true, but I just didn’t connect with the characters.

Reactions: ob
I finally got around to reading 1984 a couple of years ago and was really disappointed. Fantastic idea, obviously, and scary how some of the ideas about doublespeak etc have come true, but I just didn’t connect with the characters.
I find that problem occasionally with "classic Science fiction". A lot of it was written for the ideas and the story/characters were of secondary concern. I think it's where some of the snobbery concerning genre fiction comes from.

Excited to have found this thread!

I'm traditionally a very big reader but a busy work schedule eating into my time and a mental health dip eating into my concentration levels has cut my reading down over the past year or so.

I'm a chronic re-reader of beloved books too, I hope that counts with you guys!

Recently finished Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. Much recommended for anyone who likes to be delightfully confused by a fantasy world, and for finishing a book to feel like waking up from a fever dream.

I actually really connected with the main characters in 1984, but I am someone who can connect with characters in pretty much anything. I am fussy with my sci-fi too, though - my first intro to the genre was the Hitchhiker's Guide and so am chronically unable to get on with any sci-fi that feels like it's taking itself too seriously.

Last edited:
It's going to be very hard, impossible really to keep up with all the recommendations on this thread. My staple reading for years has been crime novels, I've read all the Rebus and Banks and probably most of Michael Connolly's novels and various other authors of the genre I've dipped in and out of. I also enjoy the Ed Mcbain precinct 87 novels, I'm not sure how many I've read. I stopped reading the Matthew Hope one I had, couldn't get into it.

I've previously mentioned I'm going to be rereading some Steinbeck and have Catcher in the Rye to read. I think I'd like to read more of the "classic" 20th century literature, whatever that is but the secret to reaching any sort of reasonable target will be to make them shortish ones!

It's going to be very hard, impossible really to keep up with all the recommendations on this thread. My staple reading for years has been crime novels, I've read all the Rebus and Banks and probably most of Michael Connolly's novels and various other authors of the genre I've dipped in and out of. I also enjoy the Ed Mcbain precinct 87 novels, I'm not sure how many I've read. I stopped reading the Matthew Hope one I had, couldn't get into it.

I've previously mentioned I'm going to be rereading some Steinbeck and have Catcher in the Rye to read. I think I'd like to read more of the "classic" 20th century literature, whatever that is but the secret to reaching any sort of reasonable target will be to make them shortish ones!
My favourite authors from the crime genre that I've read so far are Chris Brookmyre (started with a humorous slant to his writing but took a more serious route later on), Ken Bruen (Irish Noir), Pierre Lemaitre (Verhœven trilogy, violent but so good) & Fred Vargas (slightly oddbeat characters but very enjoyable).

I've now moved on to the 2nd in Carey's Rampart trilogy. Really enjoyed the 1st so it's a no-brainer to continue and will probably move straight on to the final instalment of this post-apocalyptic story when I finish this one.

Good thread, I read a lot, typically 1-2 books a week though many are trash novels free with kindle unlimited. For Comedy Horror I recommend RR Haywood The Undead series, he also has 3 other shorter series which are excellent, "The Code" and "Extracted" series are 2 of my all time favourites

Devon C Ford Toy Soldiers series is excellent post apocalyptic stuff, and for historic fiction (Roman Era) I would recommend SJA Turney Marius Mules series and Simon Scarrow Eagle of Rome series.

Finally Arisen series by Michael Stephen Fuchs is good zombie apocalypse stuff if thats your thing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.