Reading Challenge 2022

Hi @RobMCFC I used to read loads. Last year hardly anything so this thread might act as an encouragement to change that. I like 'classics' both ancient and modern and if I had to choose a favourite it would probably be Great Expectations. I'm a sucker for Tolkien and some of Stephen Kings stuff. I would class The Stand as a modern classic.
Can someone recommend a book to get me started this year? Preferably a real 'can't put down' page turner to get me back in the habit.
Thanks in advance.
So, you like Tolkein and Dickens? - I've got just to book for you as it happens to be my favourite of all time - The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I recommended it on here last year and @Paladin enjoyed it.

It's set in the fantasy city of Camorr, which is clearly based on Venice .... but it's a little different to some fantasy books. It's about a group of con men who pull off outlandish cons. The "Dickensian" bit comes in the form of the back story where we find out about how a young Locke Lamora comes to live with a group of petty thieves and how he quickly outgrows them.

The story unfold in two timelines - then and now - and there are several genuine WTF plot moments. The prose is, of course, exceptional: I've never read a book like it and doubt I ever will again.

Anyway, even if you don't start with it, stick it on your list.

It's great that we are getting so many joining in - lets see who's still standing in December!

Reactions: ob
This is the one

I’ve also read Zen Golf. Both books are helpful for the mental side of the game

thanks a lot

I can recommend not just to you but generally

commander in cheat , how golf explains trump by Rick Reilly

a book about golf and Donald trump. It’s brilliant, the bloke interviews people who have played with him , how he cheats at golf , boasts about winning competitions he never played and how it reflects his character .

don’t have to like golf to enjoy.

Ah another John Steinbeck reader! I think I've read about 17 Steinbecks. Ask the man on the street to name 3 of his books and he'll probably say Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden. I would say that Cannery Row is easily better than Eden. Grapes is an awesome book but Eden was a bit underwhelming for me. The Wayward Bus is my tip for less well known Steinbecks.

I don't want to be negative but avoid The Short Reign of Pippin lV, it's awful!
Agree with you about East of Eden, a bit soap opera for me. My favourites besides the obvious are In Dubious Battle, a kind of forerunner to Grapes of Wrath and The Winter of our Disontent

thanks a lot

I can recommend not just to you but generally

commander in cheat , how golf explains trump by Rick Reilly

a book about golf and Donald trump. It’s brilliant, the bloke interviews people who have played with him , how he cheats at golf , boasts about winning competitions he never played and how it reflects his character .

don’t have to like golf to enjoy.
Will have a look for this and download to the kindle. While I prefer physical books you can’t beat the convenience of digital and it will mean I won’t forget to get it

I would recommend Tom Threadgill - Collision of Lies. A new author to me when I read this last year and thought it was a good read. It was his first introduction of Det Almara Alverez who is asked my grieving parents to take another look into a high speed collision between a freight train and a school bus full of kids from three years ago.
I'm currently waiting for the next Alverez book to come back into the library, ha I still use it regularly. Hoping this one is as good.

Read 20 plus books a year so will join in with this year. Got a couple on the go at the moment.
James Ellroys Widespread Panic and David Peace's Tokyo Redux. Similar writing styles and Peace is probably my favourite writer and has been described as the UK's answer to Ellroy. Read mainly at break and lunch at work but start a book at home to take to once I've finished the other. Read mostly crime fiction (UK,US and Nordic) but dip into the odd autobiography or non fiction. Got Paul Morley's autobiography on Anthony H Wilson next but it's a real doorstep of a book I got for Christmas

Didn't read as much as I wanted last year as we had a baby and just didn't have the time I anticipated but I recently read Bob Mortimers autobio (which I bought my brother as an xmas gift lol) & started A History of Bees by Maja Lunde on NYD - Will dip into the thread with any recommends & pick up a few that tickle my fancy to bump my number up this year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.