Reading Challenge 2022

Just finished Two Nights in Lisbon. Enjoyed it although kind of guessed where it was going. Downloaded a short story called Strays by Janeen Leese-Taylor. Mainly because she's my 3rd cousin and her first book but also as it's set in Portstewart/Portrush area of Northern Ireland where I grew up and spent my childhood

1. Winter - Len Deighton - 7/10
2. The Last Great Mountain - Mick Conefrey - 6/10
3. Pegasus Bridge - Stephen E. Ambrose - 6/10
4. The Dead of Jericho - Colin Dexter - 7/10
5. Agent Sonya - Ben MacIntyre - 7/10
6. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - 9/10
7. Macbeth - A. J. Hartley and David Hewson - 9/10
8. The Ashes of London - Andrew Taylor - 7/10
9. Ashendon - W. Somerset Maugham - 5/10
10. With a Mind to Kill - Anthony Horowitz - 8/10
11. SAS: Sea King Down - Mark Aston and Stuart Tootal - 7/10
12. SS-GB - Len Deighton - 6/10
13. Nomad - Alan Partridge - 5/10
14. Jungle Soldier - Brian Moynahan - 9/10
15. The Ticket Collector from Belarus - Mike Anderson and Neil Hanson - 8/10
16. Soldier 'I' - Pete Winner and Michael Paul Kennedy - 6/10
17. Seashaken Houses - Tom Nancollas - 8/10
18. The Good Germans - Catrine Clay - 5/10
19. The Bookseller of Inverness - S. G. Maclean - 5/10
20. The Carpet People - Terry Pratchett - 6/10
21. The Heretics of De'Ath - Howard of Warwick - 7/10
22. Colditz: Prisoners of the Castle - Ben MacIntyre - 9/10
23. Monarchy - David Starkey - 8/10
24. The Saboteur of Auschwitz - Colin Rushton - 6/10

This is the story of Arthur Dodd, a British soldier captured by the Germans, and imprisoned in Auschwitz in 1942. He spent the rest of the war there, except for a brief period when he escaped and worked with Polish Resistance before recapture. Sabatuer in the title refers to the sabotage of war material being manufactured in the factories by the British at Auschwitz.

It's an important account in that it tells the story of one of three camps at Auschwitz that held British POWs. The existence of these camps was denied by the British government until a document proved they had been made aware before the end of the war.

No prisoners were treated well by their Nazi captors, but the treatment of the British was nothing like as barbaric as the atrocities committed against the Jews. As a result, the book does not have quite the same impact as other Holocaust accounts.

The book includes sections on the Nuremberg trials of some of the German guards and officers, and what happened to the British soldiers after the war, including their poor treatment by the British government.

Dodd was from Northwich, and the book mentions a number of places in and around that area, that are familiar to me. Dodd was also a committed Christian, and he says his faith was a great comfort to him during his captivity, and throughout the rest of his life.

It's an interesting account, but it wouldn't be my starting point if I wanted to learn more about the Holocaust.
9320ce25b7cbcc99fb6b81e2efecac1f.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished Seashaken Houses by Tom Nancollos. A book about lighthouses around the British Isles. Another book I would never ever have lifted never mind read if not for this thread. Something completely different and I enjoyed his adventures. Now starting Rob Burrow Too Many Reasons To Live

Haven’t updated for a while; after the Robert Harris I have played safe with a couple of thrillers.....

The Racketeer - John Grisham

0FED5815-510A-4F1D-A224-1DBE838BD080_4_5005_c.jpeg

I really like Grisham’s books and this is a solid 7/10 from me.
Malcolm Bannister was an attorney in a small firm when he was inadvertently caught up in a money laundering scheme, convicted under the RICO statutes, and sent to federal prison. There he became a 'prison lawyer' helping other convicts with their appeals. etc.
When Judge Fawcett - a federal judge in Virginia - is murdered, Bannister contacts the FBI, claiming he knows the killer and will name him in exchange for his immediate release from prison. The FBI, desperate for a lead in the case decide to speak to him.

The Accomplice - Steve Cavanagh

517853CD-8059-4265-824D-E6737080286A_4_5005_c.jpeg

This is the latest in the Eddie Flynn series of books. Eddie and his team are asked to defend Carrie Miller, who has been accused of being an accomplice in her serial killer husband’s murders.
He is nowhere to be found but the FBI have found sufficient evidence to implicate her as his accomplice in a couple of the murders.
Flynn won’t take a case unless he believes his client is innocent so sets about proving her innocence in court.
Cavanagh is an excellent thriller writer and for me this is one of his best. The plot is fast paced and there are a number of twists, some predictable others not. 8/10

1. The Spirit Engineer - A.J.West - 7/10
2. The Lost Man - Jane Harper - 8/10
3. The Fall of Babel – Josiah Bancroft - 5/10
4. The Forest – Michaelbrent Collings – 3/10
5. Black River – Will Dean – 7/10
6. Winter is Coming – Garry Kasparov – 9/10
7. Archangel – Robert Harris – 8/10
8. The Justice of Kings – Richard Swan - 8/10
9. Priest of Bones – Peter McLean – 8/10
10. Watching Skies: Star Wars, Spielberg and us – Mark O’Connell – 7/10
11. Björn Borg and the Super-Swedes – Mats Holm and Ulf Roosvald – 8/10
12. We Men of Ash and Shadow – HL Tinsley 6/10
13. Paul Kelly: The man, the music and the life in between – Stuart Coupe – 7/10
14. Steven Spielberg: A Biography - Joseph McBride – 8/10
15. Scrublands – Chris Hammer – 8/10
16. Thunderstruck – Erik Larson – 9/10
17. Billy Summers – Stephen King – 9/10
18. Priest of Lies – Peter McLean – 8/10

Priest of Lies.jpg

This is the second book in the War for the Rose Throne series. Thomas Piety has returned from the war and reclaimed his position as the leading underworld figure in the city of Ellinburg. In the first instalment, he ended up working for a Queen’s Man (a fantasy version of MI5) in doing whatever it takes to ensure that rival gangs, backed by a foreign power, do not take over the city.

In this book, some of the action tales places in the city of Dannsburg, home to the house of magicians, who have designs of Tomas’ adopted son, Billy the Boy. Billy continues to see his cunning power grow and Tomas is afraid of what they’ll do to Billy.

This is a good continuation of the tale started in the first book. Some of the reservations I had about the first book have been addressed – i.e. in addition to getting short summary-like explanations of scenes, it does feel like the author is writing in more detail in certain key scenes. However, the tendency to skip over certain sections remains, and I think it was a bit odd to have the main character’s brother go through a mental breakdown, be locked in a cellar and then emerge months later without any explanation of how the process went for him. Maybe he’s saving that for a later book.

Tomas is trapped between the need for loyalty to the crown and his crew and cityfolk in general, and the author does make you believe the tensions that his point-of-view character feels. We also find out more about Cutter’s backstory, which is something that I said I wanted in my book one review. Another good read, and I’ll be picking up the third book (out of four) next year.

Just finished Strays by Janeen Leese-Taylor. Reason I read it is she's a friend of the family and also the area story set in was where I grew up so was nice to read about locations knowing exactly where they are. It was an okay story of werewolfs and a battle between packs. I've read 21 books this year. Exactly same total as last year. Best was Billy Summers closely followed by Monkey Arkwright books

Just finished Strays by Janeen Leese-Taylor. Reason I read it is she's a friend of the family and also the area story set in was where I grew up so was nice to read about locations knowing exactly where they are. It was an okay story of werewolfs and a battle between packs. I've read 21 books this year. Exactly same total as last year. Best was Billy Summers closely followed by Monkey Arkwright books
I'll take being second to Stephen King any day! Thanks once again for reading.

I'm on my 19th book, which I should finish as it's a short book. I think a couple of weeks feeling crap with Covid, plus the fact that two of the books I read were monster length will make me finish below the target of 20.

However, I've read some great books this year and I agree that Billy Summers was definitely the highlight for fiction.

I've "read" 24 so far, with two more on the go. I've slowed down recently due to injury - I'm not listening to audiobooks as I can't run at the moment. But hoping to run again soon.

One book I've started is about the Bloody Sunday killings in Northern Ireland. It's a bit depressing though, and I'm not sure I'm in the mood to finish it. I'll let you know about the other book in a few days.

Although there aren't many of us on here, I do enjoy hearing about your reading experiences, and hope we can continue next year.

I've "read" 24 so far, with two more on the go. I've slowed down recently due to injury - I'm not listening to audiobooks as I can't run at the moment. But hoping to run again soon.

One book I've started is about the Bloody Sunday killings in Northern Ireland. It's a bit depressing though, and I'm not sure I'm in the mood to finish it. I'll let you know about the other book in a few days.

Although there aren't many of us on here, I do enjoy hearing about your reading experiences, and hope we can continue next year.
I'd be disappointed if we don't continue as I've read books that have been recommended on here that I would never have looked at. Hope back out running again soon

On my 32nd book of the year currently. I have tended to play it safe, sticking to thrillers and historical fiction in the main. I find once I start a series that I have to complete it rather than reading other books in between…the reading equivalent of binge watching I suppose. I tend to steer clear of books with more than 400 pages because I only read 30-40 pages at a time and don’t want to lose track of the characters and events.

Best books for me this year;

Fiction: Billy Summers - Stephen King
Non Fiction: Beyond - Stephen Walker

Happy to continue next year, will try and update more frequently!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.