Reading Challenge 2024

I know one or two of us have discussed Japanese fiction before and one of this author's books was nominated for the Q2 read. I have just discovered that this is available for Kindle (and other e readers) for 99p

Great book an absolute steal for 99p.

1. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch. 7/10.
2. The Racketeer - John Grisham. 5/10.
3. Orphan X - Gregg Hurwitz. 9/10.
4. The Longest Kill - Craig Harrison. 8/10.

A very interesting autobiography of an ordinary soldier who becomes one of the world's most deadly snipers. The book ends with a description of Harrison's struggles with PTSD, and gives a reminder of the effects combat can have on soldiers. This guy has my total admiration.

Harrison was involved in two tours to Afghanistan. He was seriously injured by a mine, but recovered to be sent back for a second tour of duty.

The title refers to what was the longest ever sniper kill. Harrison managed to take out an Afghan insurgent at a range that was later measured at 2475 metres. For context, Harrison hit a target the size of you and me, from his position 2400 metres away. That's the same as looking at a person hiding in cover in Picadilly Gardens, from your seat at the Etihad. It would take 3 minutes to cover that distance in a car at 30mph.

The book is fascinating for the descriptions of how a sniper operates and prepares to engage. Harrison's record was beaten in 2017 by a Canadian sniper in Iraq, with an incredible kill distance of 3,450 metres.
3ede844c803d2b7fa963895bc7422c2e.jpg

12/23 Assault on Truth - Peter Oborne

39D51D68-C4DD-4E33-BDC7-A8A659A987FA_1_102_o.jpeg

I was away for a few days and didn’t take either of the Q2 reads with me. Bought this sometime ago and as it's not a long book decided to read this. To get an idea of what this book is about see the sentence under the title.

Peter Oborne is a former political commentator of the Spectator, the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail. He now writes about politics for Open Democracy and Middle East Eye. He voted for Brexit but regrets it.

I don’t propose to comment further, there are other threads within this website where this character (BJ) and the issues raised in the book are discussed at length.

And now for The Satsuma Complex!

Leviathan Falls by James S. A. Corey
cover.jpg

Got there at last. The final volume of The Expanse series barring the short story collection.
A changed Duarte revives and believes he’s been thinking on too small a scale so sets off to rectify that. A special forces agent is sent after him to bring him back and restore the Laconian empire whatever it takes. The crew of the Rocinante decide that a ship in the middle of a galactic war is no place for a young girl so plan to drop Teresa off with a distant relative but find someone waiting who wants to put her to other use. Elvi Okoye uses what she has at her disposal to delve the archive in hopes of finding something to stop the old aliens from just wiping everyone out… again!

I felt a little underwhelmed by the ending but I don’t think there’s much that could have been different to keep it cogent and consistent with what had come before. Not particularly liking one of the new viewpoint characters probably also played a part. It does wrap things up nicely though and if you’ve read this far you will want to read this. To me it just felt as though the authors had reached a certain point and thought “We’d better end this now” and so they did. I’d been entertained by the series as a whole and still enjoyed spending more time with the ongoing characters which is an accomplishment in itself when you consider the length of it. Going over this review it reads quite negatively but shouldn’t be taken as an indictment of either this instalment or the series as a whole. I think I’d just become so invested in the tale and those who inhabit it that it just felt a little anticlimactic. 3½★'s

1. Cunning Folk – Adam L.G. Nevill - 8/10
  2. Bad Apples – Will Dean – 7/10
  3. The Winter Road – Adrian Selby – 6/10
  4. The Dark Place – Damian Vargas – 9/10
  5. Act of Oblivion – Robert Harris – 7/10
  6. The Tyranny of Faith – Richard Swan – 7/10
  7. The Game – Micah Richards – 8/10
  8. The Ticket Collector from Belarus – Mike Anderson and Neil Hanson – 8/10
  9. The Satsuma Complex – Bob Mortimer – 6/10
Satsuma.jpg

I'll save the review and comments until more people have read it.

14/23 Notes on an Execution - Danya Kukafka

0E6EE3A1-FB0A-45E9-92A5-2125E7FF8F3F.jpeg

I won’t comment until everyone who intends to has read it, except to say that I thought this was a tremendous book. Looking forward to reading everyone’s views!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.