Reading Challenge 2024

Apologies, behind with my contributions

15/23 Wake - Shelley Burr

View attachment 83209

Back to the outback for more Aussie noir. Saw this advertised as for “…fans of Jane Harper” and as for sale at 99p took a punt.
This is the debut novel by this author and it’s a good but not great read. The story centres around the mysterious disappearance of a 9 yo girl, some twenty years previously. Her twin sister is still haunted by her disappearance and a private investigator arrives, ostensibly to investigate but he has issues of his own to deal with.
If you’re a fan of the genre you will like this, but I think there’s better out there.

16/23 The Angel’s Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

View attachment 83210

This is an excellent book. I borrowed it from my local library after reading the testimonials on the back cover and inside. I was vaguely aware of this author but didn’t know much about him - but a reference in one of the testimonials to Wilkie Collins was what swung it for me. Wilkie Collins is one of my favourite authors. I didn’t realise at first that this was part (2nd ) of a series so I will complete these over the next few months. The first , “The Shadow of the Wind” is currently available for Kindle at 99p.
The Shadow of the Wind is my 2nd favourite book of all time. If it's available for 99p, buy it now - you won't regret it. It's an absolute masterpiece.

In some ways you are lucky because some people believe that it should be possible to read these books in any order. Whilst I don't necessarily agree with that, it's true that The Angel's Game can be read before the others. From memory, it doesn't have a massive crossover with characters in The Shadow of the Wind but you will get far more our of the third book, The Prisoner of Heaven, having read the other two first.

I also read his YA books that he wrote before these and whilst entertaining enough, are not on a par with The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series.

So sad that Carlos Ruiz Zafon died in 2020, but the four books in this series will stand as testament to a unique and talented writer.

Apologies, behind with my contributions

15/23 Wake - Shelley Burr

View attachment 83209

Back to the outback for more Aussie noir. Saw this advertised as for “…fans of Jane Harper” and as for sale at 99p took a punt.
This is the debut novel by this author and it’s a good but not great read. The story centres around the mysterious disappearance of a 9 yo girl, some twenty years previously. Her twin sister is still haunted by her disappearance and a private investigator arrives, ostensibly to investigate but he has issues of his own to deal with.
If you’re a fan of the genre you will like this, but I think there’s better out there.

16/23 The Angel’s Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

View attachment 83210

This is an excellent book. I borrowed it from my local library after reading the testimonials on the back cover and inside. I was vaguely aware of this author but didn’t know much about him - but a reference in one of the testimonials to Wilkie Collins was what swung it for me. Wilkie Collins is one of my favourite authors. I didn’t realise at first that this was part (2nd ) of a series so I will complete these over the next few months. The first , “The Shadow of the Wind” is currently available for Kindle at 99p.
Ha, you think you're behind. I have 4 books to write up so far since my last contribution.

And Away … – Bob Mortimer – 7/10

I didn’t think that it was “like an eight-hour episode of Would I Lie To You?”, as it claims on the cover, but it was gently amusing with a good level of poignancy. What comes across most is how humble Bob is. He is part of a great double act, yet he points out that he was very lucky to meet Jim Moir (aka Vic Reeves) and always gives Jim credit for being the comic mastermind.

I'm going to read this in a book or two and tbh I'm glad to hear you say it's not like an 8 hour episode of Would I Lie To You. Much as Bob (or to be more precise Bob and David) is the highlight of WILTY you can have too much of a good thing. I love his surrealist excursions both fictious and the bizzare real life ones but I also like hearing him when he's being more contemplative.

1. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch. 7/10.
2. The Racketeer - John Grisham. 5/10.
3. Orphan X - Gregg Hurwitz. 9/10.
4. The Longest Kill - Craig Harrison. 8/10.
5. Notes on an Execution - Danya Kukafka. 8/10.
6. The Satsuma Complex - Bob Mortimer. 7/10.

I finished Notes on an Execution a few weeks ago, and The Satsuma Complex today.

I wouldn't normally go for something like Notes on an Execution, but I'm glad I did. It was a depressing tale, but thoroughly engaging for me.

I initially had thoughts that something might come of the escape attempt, or there might be a reprieve, or that Ansel was not the real killer, but those thoughts soon evaporated, as we got to see his adult character.

You can't help but feel sympathy for most of the main characters, even Ansel. They are so well depicted. I got the general impression that all men were considered by the author to be potentially abusive, and all women somehow the victims of their actions.

I think it was Saffy who made the observation that the system had failed everyone - and that refers to the social services, discrimination in the police force, abuse within the prison service, and by implication, everywhere else. A sad indictment on modern Western society, but that was my enduring impression from this book.

The Satsuma Complex. I read this second, hoping it would bring some light relief after the first recommended book. I thought it was slow to get going, but it eventually picked up into an enjoyable read.

The audio book version is narrated by Mortimer himself, and Sally Phillips. Mortimer isn't a proper actor, I and his narration wasn't the best. Phillips was excellent, but in my mind's eye, her character from Miranda kept popping up as Emily. A pleasant picture, but a bit distracting. Mortimer narrated Grace in a voice that reminded me of Kathy Burke, and this wasn't helpful either.

The portrayal of Gary's grey man image was a bit tedious. I didn't feel we needed to know quite as much detail about what he ate for tea, or his bathing routine, or his preference in pies.

Also, I expected this to have plenty of funny moments, and was disappointed when these didn't quickly materialise. They did eventually make an appearance, starting with the remedy for back pain, and I was chuckling to myself during last Saturday's Parkrun. Plenty of laughs were to follow, including the referral of Clown Shoes to City Investigations during today's Parkrun.

The ending was very predictable. The only way the problems were ever going to be resolved was from intervention by the proper police. But it ended nicely and they all lived happily ever after.

I think I noticed a few minor discrepancies in the timeline, but not enough to spoil the story. I thought Gary's friendship with Grace was a refreshing unusuality (is that even a word?) too.

These are my thoughts, and I apologise they don't come near to matching the very good appraisals by other reviewers.

I finished Notes on an Execution a few weeks ago, and The Satsuma Complex today.

I wouldn't normally go for something like Notes on an Execution, but I'm glad I did. It was a depressing tale, but thoroughly engaging for me.

I initially had thoughts that something might come of the escape attempt, or there might be a reprieve, or that Ansel was not the real killer, but those thoughts soon evaporated, as we got to see his adult character.

You can't help but feel sympathy for most of the main characters, even Ansel. They are so well depicted. I got the general impression that all men were considered by the author to be potentially abusive, and all women somehow the victims of their actions.

I think it was Saffy who made the observation that the system had failed everyone - and that refers to the social services, discrimination in the police force, abuse within the prison service, and by implication, everywhere else. A sad indictment on modern Western society, but that was my enduring impression from this book.

The Satsuma Complex. I read this second, hoping it would bring some light relief after the first recommended book. I thought it was slow to get going, but it eventually picked up into an enjoyable read.

The audio book version is narrated by Mortimer himself, and Sally Phillips. Mortimer isn't a proper actor, I and his narration wasn't the best. Phillips was excellent, but in my mind's eye, her character from Miranda kept popping up as Emily. A pleasant picture, but a bit distracting. Mortimer narrated Grace in a voice that reminded me of Kathy Burke, and this wasn't helpful either.

The portrayal of Gary's grey man image was a bit tedious. I didn't feel we needed to know quite as much detail about what he ate for tea, or his bathing routine, or his preference in pies.

Also, I expected this to have plenty of funny moments, and was disappointed when these didn't quickly materialise. They did eventually make an appearance, starting with the remedy for back pain, and I was chuckling to myself during last Saturday's Parkrun. Plenty of laughs were to follow, including the referral of Clown Shoes to City Investigations during today's Parkrun.

The ending was very predictable. The only way the problems were ever going to be resolved was from intervention by the proper police. But it ended nicely and they all lived happily ever after.

I think I noticed a few minor discrepancies in the timeline, but not enough to spoil the story. I thought Gary's friendship with Grace was a refreshing unusuality (is that even a word?) too.

These are my thoughts, and I apologise they don't come near to matching the very good appraisals by other reviewers.
Nothing wrong with those thoughts. Pretty much in line with the way I saw the books.

Already reviewed Notes on an Execution so here's my thoughts on The Satsuma Complex which was 7/10 for me.

Were I a squirrel I might be inclined to jump out in front of Bob Mortimer and say something like:

“Bob how do you feel about overloading your novel with your surrealist asides and embellishments at every possible opportunity, does it achieve what you want it to mate?

The thing is Bob it felt at times like a bit of a crutch of the familiar when the book was strong enough to stand on its own two feet. So maybe throttle back on the ‘Bobness’ a little bit, definitely still have some in there and tbf the squirrel was ok as a device to hear Gary’s inner voice but maybe have more confidence in your writing too. You might want to think around that mate.”

Overall, I enjoyed it. I think Bob is clearly a decent and engaging storyteller and not just about his own life. My gripes are probably minor.

There were a couple of interesting themes in there that I thought could have been explored more deeply, had there been less focus on the absurdist elements which sometimes I felt didn’t really add anything.

Some aspects like the role of Boiler Suit Man were a bit telegraphed but then that sort of gave me a reassurance that the cavalry would ultimately arrive which I think is fine to signpost in a book like this which isn’t setting out to be edgy or disconcerting. I think this will presumably be adapted for TV and I’d be more than happy to watch it.

I would imagine/hope they’ll be follow-up books and if he lets them breath a bit more (and no, I have no idea wtf I actually mean in practice by that either, but I stand by it), I think they’ll improve on what was a decent debut.

7/10 for me.

Two very different books this quarter but I found both enjoyable.

Already reviewed Notes on an Execution so here's my thoughts on The Satsuma Complex which was 7/10 for me.

Were I a squirrel I might be inclined to jump out in front of Bob Mortimer and say something like:

“Bob how do you feel about overloading your novel with your surrealist asides and embellishments at every possible opportunity, does it achieve what you want it to mate?

The thing is Bob it felt at times like a bit of a crutch of the familiar when the book was strong enough to stand on its own two feet. So maybe throttle back on the ‘Bobness’ a little bit, definitely still have some in there and tbf the squirrel was ok as a device to hear Gary’s inner voice but maybe have more confidence in your writing too. You might want to think around that mate.”

Overall, I enjoyed it. I think Bob is clearly a decent and engaging storyteller and not just about his own life. My gripes are probably minor.

There were a couple of interesting themes in there that I thought could have been explored more deeply, had there been less focus on the absurdist elements which sometimes I felt didn’t really add anything.

Some aspects like the role of Boiler Suit Man were a bit telegraphed but then that sort of gave me a reassurance that the cavalry would ultimately arrive which I think is fine to signpost in a book like this which isn’t setting out to be edgy or disconcerting. I think this will presumably be adapted for TV and I’d be more than happy to watch it.

I would imagine/hope they’ll be follow-up books and if he lets them breath a bit more (and no, I have no idea wtf I actually mean in practice by that either, but I stand by it), I think they’ll improve on what was a decent debut.

7/10 for me.

Two very different books this quarter but I found both enjoyable.
I laughed at this review as much as I laughed at parts of the book itself. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

7. The Garderobe of Death - Howard of Warwick - 6/10

The second book in the series, and like the first, very funny in parts.

One of King William's friends is found dead in unusual circumstances, and Brother Hermitage is charged with finding the killer.

What is a garderobe, one might reasonably ask? I'll save you the trouble of Googling it. A garderobe is a toilet, in a mediaeval castle, where the waste falls into a pit. Think of the toilet facilities at Glastonbury or other primitive outdoor venues, before portaloos were invented.

The victim, Henri de Turold, was sitting at the garderobe when he met his demise. The instrument of death was a crossbow arrow, which was found up the deceased man's rectal passage. The garderobe pit was impossibly small for an assassin to enter.

Quite the mystery, but Hermitage got there in the end, with many adventures en route.

An amusing tale, but I am not surprised that Tom Cruise hasn't tried to secure the film rights.
ede9ce131cc3a184fb732bbc33df24e7.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.