Reading Challenge 2024

my son has just had his first novel published & although I am rightly biased, I have really enjoyed this book.

Below is a review which gives an excellent synopsis of what the book is about.

Attachments

• 25913f4d-aa90-499e-b1e3-70cbf971934a.jpeg
    25913f4d-aa90-499e-b1e3-70cbf971934a.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 03627b15-8c05-443d-99dc-1c3965fc8b42.jpeg
    03627b15-8c05-443d-99dc-1c3965fc8b42.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 7
  1. Fairy Tale – Stephen King - 5/10
  2. Wolf Pack – Will Dean - 7/10
  3. A Small Death in Lisbon – Robert Wilson - 6/10
  4. A Man Called Ove – Fredrick Backman – 8/10
  5. Tomorrow's Children – Daniel Polansky – 3/10
  6. The Mobster’s Lament – Ray Celestin – 8/10
  7. Priest of Crowns – Peter McLean – 9/10
  8. Get It On: How the ‘70s Rocked Football – Jon Spurling – 9/10
  9. The Effigy Engine – Scott Lynch – 7/10
Effigy_.jpg

The Effigy Engine – Scott Lynch

It’s about time that I caught up on a couple of short stories that Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora, has written. This is unrelated to his Gentlemen Bastards series (11 years and counting waiting for book 4) and tells the tale of a group of wizards who use their magic to aid an army on the battlefield.

Whilst I’m not usually a fan of heavy magic in fantasy, this story works because of Lynch’s incredible imagination and his writing style. The magicians in question are called into action when an enemy army rock up with a technically superior war machine (see the book cover) that seems impossible to defeat.

For a short book, the characters are well drawn and whilst there’s nothing special about the plot, some of his ideas make the story worthwhile. For example, I liked the fact that the enemy deployed some green imps as a targeting system. The imps light up a circular zone whilst pointing at the intended targets shouting, “Over here! Over here!” Sounds better when told by Mr Lynch than by me! Anyway, the book is full of little gems like this.

1. Unruly - David Mitchell - 9/10
2. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Blackman - 7/10
3. The Book of Doors - Gareth Brown - 8/10
4. Hitler's British Traitors - Tim Tate - 4/10
5. 1984 - George Orwell - 7/10
6. Big Beacon by Alan Partridge - Steve Coogan et al - 6/10
7. The Third Man - Graham Greene - 5/10
8. Politics on the Edge - Rory Stewart - 10/10
9. The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie - 7/10

Thanks to @RobMCFC for another good recommendation.

This was an enjoyable read, with some well defined characters, and interesting plot lines and developments. It tells of unrest between regions, leading to a declaration of war, and how one of the principal characters starts to put together a fighting force of renegades to presumably restore law and order. Quite why he chooses a champion swordsman who only triumphed because of his own magical interference remains to be seen.

Many of the main characters are brought together at the end of this book, following some pretty epic skirmishes, ready to set off on further adventures in the second book of the trilogy.

I especially enjoyed the sarcastic thoughts of Glokta, which interspersed all of his interactions in the book.

I'll definitely return for books two and three before long.
eeca80edacac8a685fc8427dbdf56a2b.jpg

Just finished this about the Apollo 11 Moon Landings, I found it fascinating both the subject and the method it was written (Mailer was a contemporary of Hunter S Thompson)

Attachments

• Of a fire on the moon.jpg
    Of a fire on the moon.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 2
1. Unruly - David Mitchell - 9/10
2. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Blackman - 7/10
3. The Book of Doors - Gareth Brown - 8/10
4. Hitler's British Traitors - Tim Tate - 4/10
5. 1984 - George Orwell - 7/10
6. Big Beacon by Alan Partridge - Steve Coogan et al - 6/10
7. The Third Man - Graham Greene - 5/10
8. Politics on the Edge - Rory Stewart - 10/10
9. The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie - 7/10

Thanks to @RobMCFC for another good recommendation.

This was an enjoyable read, with some well defined characters, and interesting plot lines and developments. It tells of unrest between regions, leading to a declaration of war, and how one of the principal characters starts to put together a fighting force of renegades to presumably restore law and order. Quite why he chooses a champion swordsman who only triumphed because of his own magical interference remains to be seen.

Many of the main characters are brought together at the end of this book, following some pretty epic skirmishes, ready to set off on further adventures in the second book of the trilogy.

I especially enjoyed the sarcastic thoughts of Glokta, which interspersed all of his interactions in the book.

I'll definitely return for books two and three before long.
eeca80edacac8a685fc8427dbdf56a2b.jpg
Glad you enjoyed it - I thought you would.

Interesting that you picked out Glokta's sarcastic monologues because for me, this was the highlight of the book. If you do read the other two books, you will see Abercrombie's mastery of character development because although Glokta is certainly the best, the way he develops all of his characters, including some of the bit part players, is superb. One of your other comments was an interested observation, but I'll say no more for now!

You know I've said several times on here that The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Shadow of the Wind are far and away my two favourite books. But there's no doubt that Joe Abercrombie's First Law series - of which this is the first part of the initial trilogy, but also extends to include three standalones, a collection of short stories and a 2nd trilogy - is my favourite series of books as a whole.

my son has just had his first novel published & although I am rightly biased, I have really enjoyed this book.

Below is a review which gives an excellent synopsis of what the book is about.

Just bought it mate. In middle of reading
2 books at moment but wanted to buy so got it in library to go back to.

Glad you enjoyed it - I thought you would.

Interesting that you picked out Glokta's sarcastic monologues because for me, this was the highlight of the book. If you do read the other two books, you will see Abercrombie's mastery of character development because although Glokta is certainly the best, the way he develops all of his characters, including some of the bit part players, is superb. One of your other comments was an interested observation, but I'll say no more for now!

You know I've said several times on here that The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Shadow of the Wind are far and away my two favourite books. But there's no doubt that Joe Abercrombie's First Law series - of which this is the first part of the initial trilogy, but also extends to include three standalones, a collection of short stories and a 2nd trilogy - is my favourite series of books as a whole.
I have to say, the narration by Steven Pacey is superb, and adds greatly to enjoyment of this book. I could have rated it higher, but I have a feeling of anticipation that the story will ramp up in the subsequent books of the series, which I have already purchased.

I have to say, the narration by Steven Pacey is superb, and adds greatly to enjoyment of this book. I could have rated it higher, but I have a feeling of anticipation that the story will ramp up in the subsequent books of the series, which I have already purchased.
Yes I've heard the the narration is superb. Glad you've committed to the series and I think you will be rewarded.

1. Fairy Tale – Stephen King - 5/10
  2. Wolf Pack – Will Dean - 7/10
  3. A Small Death in Lisbon – Robert Wilson - 6/10
  4. A Man Called Ove – Fredrick Backman – 8/10
  5. Tomorrow's Children – Daniel Polansky – 3/10
  6. The Mobster’s Lament – Ray Celestin – 8/10
  7. Priest of Crowns – Peter McLean – 9/10
  8. Get It On: How the ‘70s Rocked Football – Jon Spurling – 9/10
  9. The Effigy Engine – Scott Lynch – 7/10
View attachment 125768

The Effigy Engine – Scott Lynch

It’s about time that I caught up on a couple of short stories that Scott Lynch, author of The Lies of Locke Lamora, has written. This is unrelated to his Gentlemen Bastards series (11 years and counting waiting for book 4) and tells the tale of a group of wizards who use their magic to aid an army on the battlefield.

Whilst I’m not usually a fan of heavy magic in fantasy, this story works because of Lynch’s incredible imagination and his writing style. The magicians in question are called into action when an enemy army rock up with a technically superior war machine (see the book cover) that seems impossible to defeat.

For a short book, the characters are well drawn and whilst there’s nothing special about the plot, some of his ideas make the story worthwhile. For example, I liked the fact that the enemy deployed some green imps as a targeting system. The imps light up a circular zone whilst pointing at the intended targets shouting, “Over here! Over here!” Sounds better when told by Mr Lynch than by me! Anyway, the book is full of little gems like this.
I'm sure you'll (just like me) be pleased to hear the news out of Worldcon:

Scott Lynch update

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.