Real Madrid (A) | CL | Post Match Thread

A Champions League classic and the pendulum swung back and forth.

Overall we were the better side but Madrid are top quality and can score at any moment.

I've seen criticism of Ortega but I thought he was very solid in his distribution and all round play. Nothing he could do on the goals.

Akanji got better as the game wore on. Grealish our best player and, generally, great contributions from the whole squad to deliver a result we'd have snapped your hand off for before the match.
just like when you run fast wearing a loose boxer.

despite Real had 9 days off we outrun them by 4,5 km...impressive

Reactions: PPT
A Champions League classic and the pendulum swung back and forth.

Overall we were the better side but Madrid are top quality and can score at any moment.

I've seen criticism of Ortega but I thought he was very solid in his distribution and all round play. Nothing he could do on the goals.

Akanji got better as the game wore on. Grealish our best player and, generally, great contributions from the whole squad to deliver a result we'd have snapped your hand off for before the match.
That is what I think a few grumpy blues (to use Pep’s phrasing) have lost sight of.

If a genie came on here and said Rodri will have his worst half of football since his first season with City, several of your players will struggle to play their normal game in the first half, and De Bruyne, Walker, and Ederson aren’t going to play, but if you give me your first born I will guarantee you a 3-3 draw in the first leg with Bernardo, Foden, and Gvardiol all scoring worldies, most on here would have begun drawing up the paperwork.

And I would have been giving my little lad a long, fierce hug and telling him I will always love him…

It’s amazing that the fact that Phil started on the bench for the final last season is being used as evidence he was not yet world class.

There are many, many reasons a player—even a world class player—may not start in a final. The prime among them being you can only field 11 players, and with a team like ours, that usually means at least one (or more) world class talents are going to be on the bench.

Walker and Mahrez started on the bench but no one in their right mind would say “that’s specifically an indication they aren’t world class”.

Since Bellingham came along and had a half-season purple patch everyone just seems to be trying to redefine what “world class” is so he fits the bill and Phil, who has consistently performed at the highest possible level of football for several years (not just 6 months), does not.

It’s laughable, but I suppose not surprising given the quality of punditry in England (and Spain).
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I've been genuinely astonished at how Phil Foden has been handled by his international coaches throughout his career.( yes that includes you adey boothroyd,you absolute clown)

As probably the best ,most exciting English player in recent times and treble winner he should be ear marked as a superstar by the press and an automatic choice in his best position for the national team...nope.

I remember Rooney Beckham scholes mania ...it was everywhere .

I've read historically how Colin Bell who was absolutely superb during the 1967/68 season had to wait patiently to be a regular for England ...
He played very well on an international friendly tournament in South america where he and Alan Mullery were the standout performers.
He really had to work to force himself into the 1st team international squad.

Now,a player with 18 starts at utd,playing in a midfield which cannot stop the oppentents having record numbers of shots at goal,..mainoo the defensive midfield nightmare..is shoehorned into the euro party.
Got to have a utd player take centre stage now that rashford has been found out.

Quite pathetic really.

That is what I think a few grumpy blues (to use Pep’s phrasing) have lost sight of.

If a genie came on here and said Rodri will have his worst half of football since his first season with City, several of your players will struggle to play their normal game in the first half, and De Bruyne, Walker, and Ederson aren’t going to play, but if you give me your first born I will guarantee you a 3-3 draw in the first leg with Bernardo, Foden, and Gvardiol all scoring worldies, most on here would have begun drawing up the paperwork.

And I would have been giving my little lad a long, fierce hug and telling him I will always love him…
Throw in the absence of Ake which to me is big, and the fact that it's our third game in 6 days.

Stunning performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.