Real Madrid (H) - Wed 17th May, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Bernardo like most blues do but I have to say I'm surprised how many have him in their predicted lineups.

He was poor vs West Ham, mediocre vs Leeds, and arguably our worst starter vs Madrid. I think you go with the player in better form and a good track record in these 'big' games in Mahrez. As good as Akanji has been- I might also think about getting Laporte in for him to get a left-footed player on that side as I imagine the majority of the match will be in their half.

Ederson

Walker Dias Laporte

Stones Rodri

Mahrez KDB Gundo Grealish

Haaland

In the big games Bernardo is usually one of the first names on the team sheet. Last season in the away leg at Real he put on an absolute masterclass that is sadly forgotten because of the result.

However, on current form, I'm not sure he deserves to start the game. Mahrez has consistently come up with big goals in the Champions league over the last few seasons. Foden is also more of a goal threat than Bernardo and will press. At home, with us likely to dominate possession, a more attacking option would be my preference. The fact that Bernardo was rotated at the weekend makes me think he will start though and hopefully he reproduces the kind of performance we all know he's capable of.

I have a feeling this game will be decided late on, possibly even in extra time or with penalties, so I do wonder if Pep will try and keep some attacking options back because of that. Mahrez, Foden and Alvarez from the bench will cause problems for any tiring defence.

Last edited:
No better way to come into the game knowing that we’re on the edge of winning the PL. gonna be so nervous but hope the voice of the ST holders and the lucky city fans pulls them through

Lets not get carried away, whilst I agree this is a big challenge IF we get through Madrid - we do not want to take the final lightly. I thought we would destroy Chelsea a few years ago and they beat us.

UEFA and the officials will almost certainly want a fairytale finish for one of the Milan clubs.
Exactly. It is why I am not nearly as excited as some about this game. It is merely a stepping stone the final is the big game and the one we need to be most prepared for. That said I expect us to come out on top on Wednesday.

I love Bernardo like most blues do but I have to say I'm surprised how many have him in their predicted lineups.

He was poor vs West Ham, mediocre vs Leeds, and arguably our worst starter vs Madrid. I think you go with the player in better form and a good track record in these 'big' games in Mahrez. As good as Akanji has been- I might also think about getting Laporte in for him to get a left-footed player on that side as I imagine the majority of the match will be in their half.

Ederson

Walker Dias Laporte

Stones Rodri

Haaland
I also find it interesting how few people choose Foden in their starting lineup. A few months ago he would have been one of most people’s automatic choices to start. Yet there is no denying the form book. Grealish has been brilliant recently and deserves to start.

On the subject of Grealish, he seems to have developed a bit of a short fuse lately. He was at it again yesterday. He needs to watch himself against Real Madrid as they will be targeting him with their shithousery.

Very tough game, RM have a stranglehold on this competition and referees its going to take a mammoth effort from Pep the team and fans to get through, I think we have to win out on the night, don’t think we win it on pens, just my opinion.

Ederson

Walker Dias Laporte

Stones Rodri

Haaland
I have no firm view on this. However, you do seem to forget the performance of Bernardo in the home leg against Munich which surely must put him in the mix to start.

But then Bernie still is in Camavinga's pocket if we're honest.
Tricky one to call...

If Bernie is in Camavinga's pocket it's because that's where he wants to be. The man is outstanding. He destroyed Bayern when wide right. He was class at the Bernabeu in the middle last season. He's a man for these occasions. The team played to control the game. Pep knew their danger on the break and didn't want us to play high risk football. We had 90% pass completion and more of the ball. We had 3 shots fewer but 2 more on target. It was a disciplined away performance. If more opportunities had arisen we'd have played a bit more aggressively but it was about keeping control of the ball rather than swinging it into the box or playing high-risk passes.

We'll see a lot more attacking intent at home.

Go at them hard from the off like we did last time and make them suffer. Get ahead and then manage the game.

It's about being switched on, concentrating, working hard and letting our quality show. They're a brilliant side who has a knack of winning the CL. They mix their game up, they never give in and they take their chances. How many times are they down and out only to come back again? 5 goals at Anfield from 6 shots on target. They can destroy you when they get momentum.

But we're at home, we beat them at home last season and the one before and we have a way of swallowing teams and defeating them at the Etihad on nights like this. They'll have about 1000 fans otherwise it's all City. We've got to make that count.

I was unfortunate enough to be at the Bernabeau for their game against Getafe on Saturday. An absolute snoozefest as they rested the majority of their key players. 100 euros for the priveledge too.

Not to mention the thousands of empty seats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.