Real Madrid post match post mortem

Madrid dragged City to where they wanted us, City were rampant during the game and Madrid couldn’t find a way to get out. Vinicious Junior for all his plaudits gave up and wanted off the pitch rather than going finding a way to win. Then as time ran out desperation crept in and the nagging feeling that Madrid had the leveller of penalties. They were happy they had that opportunity and you could tell the difference between the sets of players when they huddled together for the penalties. City were despondent they were in that situation and Madrid were jubilant.

What made it even worse is we couldn’t ram home the advantage of them missing the first penalty.

Do City still keep their unbeaten run despite going out on pens?

That's an interesting point and I'd say yes. I watched Villa last night and Martinez was shown a second yellow in the penalty shootout. The commentators thought he'd been sent off, as did everybody else. It turns out all cards etcetera given during the game are null and void in a penalty shootout. So therefore the result of a draw after 120 minutes of play should mean we remain unbeaten.

We've played them 6 times in the last 3 seasons.
They've only won one of these games but have qualified from 2 out of the 3 two legged ties. We have won more games but can't seem to get the ties over the line.
Agree. We need to be more like them to shore up the defence,, become cuter and park the bus a bit, feign some injuries, move the ball quicker. A few other tricks to try and mix it up a bit for example remember scoring from long goal kicks - Carabao 2018 ( Bravo to Kun) and last years Ortega to Gundo in 13 seconds. Opponents would not expect that.Nowt wrong with the occasional long punt to confuse the opposition feckers. Practice meaningful corners, learn to take decent throw ins, take a punt on shooting outside the box, instead of trying to walk into the net, get all the lads on a penalty taking intensive course and same for Eddie in saving spot kicks. Apart from that we play fine.

We are a lot more 'mature' in Europe now, but what was that snails pace in the opening 10 on Wednesday? I get conserving energy, but that early goal of theirs gave them the chance to park for 80 minutes even deeper. I reckon game plan was keep it tight and then hope to score last 10/ or from the get go aim to get us to penalties.

My only consolation this week has been Dips n Arse out of Europe as well. However not sure how that will play out in terms of PL fight can't decide if good or bad. Guess time will tell.

Apologies I needed to vent my frustration!! It was there for the taking.....

Madrid dragged City to where they wanted us, City were rampant during the game and Madrid couldn’t find a way to get out. Vinicious Junior for all his plaudits gave up and wanted off the pitch rather than going finding a way to win. Then as time ran out desperation crept in and the nagging feeling that Madrid had the leveller of penalties. They were happy they had that opportunity and you could tell the difference between the sets of players when they huddled together for the penalties. City were despondent they were in that situation and Madrid were jubilant.

What made it even worse is we couldn’t ram home the advantage of them missing the first penalty.
Excellent summary, just so sad. The despondency of penalties worries me for Saturday let alone next season...

Ive lost count of the amount of penalty shootouts i've seen where the team who misses the first one goes on to win the shoot out. Its almost like the team who goes second switches off when the other team miss first. Maybe its psychological and players switch off thinking the pressure is off.

Its probably a lifetime of seeing England fail at penalties, but i had zero confidence once it went to pens.

Ive lost count of the amount of penalty shootouts i've seen where the team who misses the first one goes on to win the shoot out. Its almost like the team who goes second switches off when the other team miss first. Maybe its psychological and players switch off thinking the pressure is off.

Its probably a lifetime of seeing England fail at penalties, but i had zero confidence once it went to pens.

There's only Ya Ya and Balotelli I had 100% confidence in.Willy Caballero is 42 now. I'd bloody sign him just to go on the bench in every game that might end in a penalty shootout.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.