Real Madrid post match post mortem

Travelled 'Darn Sarf' yesterday to spend the weekend with Daughter No.2's family and, with the distaff side, take the train in from Beaconsfield for the semi-final tomorrow to meet up with our family/friends group.

Just got back from the local garden centre at Bourne End where I queued at the cafe for drinks and food while piking into the conversation of two old boys immediately behind me, one an Arsenal supporter, the other favouring Chelsea.

Neither goes to games but they clearly watch a lot of footy on tv and not just their own clubs. They were pretty disparaging about their respective clubs and how they are being run (especially the Chelsea supporter when calling Boehly a 'wide boy')

We were mentioned copiously, what with our separate rivalries for the League and the Cup, along with the old boys' analysis of our game versus Real. There was an element of 'City Bingo' in their chat but it was limited and they were surprisingly positive about City, namely stuff like:

- 'They're the best team on the planet'
- 'They outplayed Real.. the stats tell you'
- 'They play football like I've never seen'
- 'At least they don't cheat like Madrid did'
- 'They attack, at least they have a go'
- 'Wish we'd bought..(Rodri, Haaland etc)
- 'Wish we'd kept De Bruyne.'

I'm always ready to stand up to any media johnny or opposition supporting WUM when it comes to defending attacks on City. But there are occasions like today when you get a surprise regarding how other supporters might see us.

It made a welcome change for once!
Self explanatory really , two old boys innit not your run of the mill gobshites

All the tactical analysis in the world cannot get round the facts that Real scored 4 goals in the tie, of which two were cruel deflections and one was a shinned finish which came straight back to the eventual scorer. Their other was a worldie but it only ranks with the three great goals we scored at their place. Our domination at the Etihad was such that Madrid were saved bt the woodwork and a shot over the bar from a chance that KdB would bury 99 times out of100. And that's only two of the 33 shots we had in Wednesday's game. I'm not arguing with the result or denying that RM go through, but what I am saying is that on any other occasion one of the 32 attempts would have gone in as well the one KdB scored from. Lady Luck was on RM's side on Wednesday for 120 minutes and that's all there is to it. They were resolute and determined but they had the rub of the green from start to finish.

The penalty shoot out was different. It was not a lottery because it does test real skills and abilities, such as being able to perform under pressure, but everyone who takes a penalty knows that one day they will miss and they hope it will never be the one they are just about to take. For Kovacic his penalty was too near the keeper: for Bernado he made his mind up, took the kick and for once the goalkeeper didn't move. Ice cool from Bernado but...

So, there's no magic in the Real badge, no inheritance of football genius that transmits to all Real players and no success built into their badge - simply that on Wednesday they got away with it and eliminated a much better team, the best team in Europe and all the world.

Do City still keep their unbeaten run despite going out on pens?
Yes, we drew. Remember when the shoe was on the other foot after we beat Wolves on penalties? The media screamed that our record 21 winning streak wasn’t correct as we ‘drew’ with Wolves. We did claim the record a couple of seasons later.

Anyone can miss a pen. The ones yer put yer shirt on are the ones that miss, and the ones yer think are iffy are the ones who score. My ERO texted when Modric stepped up - Modric will score, he sez!

I was hoping that Herr Crudiger was gonna be the one who gave away a pen on 119, but what evolved was simply a re-statement of what can happen in a game of football.

We move on. More games to play, and next season will soon be here.

Last edited:
Been watching a few you tube clips from the game and the amount of Real fans videoing from home stands is a fucking joke. One particular clip had four real fans in Colin Bell 3, two had City shirts over their Real ones and two more in casual clothing sat behind. The two behind couldn't help themselves celebrating when they scored and immediately this City fan got irate and started telling them to fuck off out which they did. These other two were then cheering for City, fucking annoying pricks.
Like others have said on here it could get pretty nasty one European night if this continues to be allowed to happen

I WAS ACCUSED OF BEING A MADRID FAN BY FELLOW CITY FAN - thoughts.

I am mixed-race, and I live down south with my mum (but I moved to Manchester for uni) and my dad/granddad are blues so I of course follow them.

At the game, the guy next to me asked if “I was a city or Madrid fan” which I said silly question. He then asked me where I live and I said fallowfield. This p*ssed me off.
BUT 5 minutes later after telling him I’m a blue he has the cheek to ask how much I paid for the ticket…I got it through the 5-ucl game rule from the club fair and square and I didn’t get it through for resellers..never have.
I know the tourist stuff is a mess but is he bang out of order for making me feel like a fake fan? I know I don’t look like a local but I’ve supported this club all my life (21 years)!!
I had this happen to me at a CL match when some geezer was sat in my seat which I’ve had for donkeys years, he kept asking me all the same crap as you got, I just made it clear that I wasn’t answering his questions and he was going to look a right twat when he checked his ticket and found he was in the wrong row. Proper piss me off balloons like that, even got it at Wembley off a complete stranger who wanted me to “back him up” to get involved in a blue on blue ruck. So don’t worry about it mate, you’re not the only one.

I WAS ACCUSED OF BEING A MADRID FAN BY FELLOW CITY FAN - thoughts.

I am mixed-race, and I live down south with my mum (but I moved to Manchester for uni) and my dad/granddad are blues so I of course follow them.

At the game, the guy next to me asked if “I was a city or Madrid fan” which I said silly question. He then asked me where I live and I said fallowfield. This p*ssed me off.
BUT 5 minutes later after telling him I’m a blue he has the cheek to ask how much I paid for the ticket…I got it through the 5-ucl game rule from the club fair and square and I didn’t get it through for resellers..never have.
I know the tourist stuff is a mess but is he bang out of order for making me feel like a fake fan? I know I don’t look like a local but I’ve supported this club all my life (21 years)!!
Why wouldn’t you look local? Manchester has always been multicultural, and City have always had a good proportion of non-white supporters. Just one thing that’s always made us the people’s club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.