Real Madrid Vs Manchester City Post Match Thread

Bad result of course but positives are we scored 2 away at Real Madrid and were just 5 minutes away from beating them there! Always going to be tricky there and it says so much that we're upset we didn't actually win.

Watched a bit of the game including our goals again. Thoughts:

I didn't watch any of the first half on second viewing, but it must be said that yes, they were clearly better and had plenty of chances. But they didn't score. We've had plenty of halves and games where we put other teams to the sword but couldn't put the ball in the net. You're going to need a bit of luck at Madrid but it also takes some guts to stick it out through the first 45 like that.

Dzeko's goal just gets better and better on viewing. CLINICAL!

After Aleks' goal we should have won. No question about it, we had all the feeling and were only minutes away. We were so, so close, which makes the eventual result crushing. Had you told me going in we would lose 3-2 I would have been heartened, but had you told me we'd be winning 2-1 in the 86th minute, well, I felt pretty distraught for a while afterward.

There are defensive questions needed to be answered but our hallmark under Mancini has always been excellent defense so hopefully it'll be sorted soon. Nastasic's performance holds up very well under the spotlight.

Dzeko needs to get a run of games. He's in fine form and keeps scoring. I think in a 3-5-1-1 (Kolarov and Maicon as wingbacks, Garcia, Barry/Rodwell, Yaya, and Tevez in the hole) he could bag 25+ goals this year.

(As a side note, I think Mario is our best option to play single striker.)

Not enough can be said about Clichy. How Arsenal fans thought he was shit is beyond me, I don't think I've EVER seen him give a poor performance for City, and usually the highest quality.

Garcia was fine but I don't think Barry was fit enough. I still would have started him but he's just not totally match fit yet. Shame.

Yaya should win the Ballon d'Or. Probably won't even make the ballot.

Need to take Ajax home and away, and get 4 points off Dortmund. Any result against Madrid will do. 11 points will see us through definitely; if Madrid take 6 from Dortmund it would help a lot.

OK....I've had a few hours to sleep on it, and haven't read the thread.

The first half we were poor and could quite easily been 3 or 4 down. If we had been, we would then have been heavily reliant on the four games against Ajax and Dortmund to pick up 9 points or more.

Only losing by a goal keep us alive in the head to head, with beating Real by 2 at hours place not an impossibility. Losing as we did was a disappointment, but hey ho...Last time we lost 3-2 in the closing stages of a game, we went on to win something didn't we?

So come on....chin up...plenty to look forward to over the next few months

lita69 said:
Bad result of course but positives are we scored 2 away at Real Madrid and were just 5 minutes away from beating them there! Always going to be tricky there and it says so much that we're upset we didn't actually win.

Before the game, most people would have been happy with a draw. With 5 minutes to go and 2-1 up, it is a disgrace that we did not get a draw.

Gifting RM two "extra" points and losing (AT THE VERY LEAST) one point may well come back to haunt us.....just like the Napoli goal at the Etihad did!

It is all well and good to talk about "we did a great job to score two goals," but NO-ONE should give a fuck about that! The CL Group Stage is a 6 game mini league and we just GIFTED our main rival to win the group THREE POINTS and came away with NOTHING....not even a bit of team pride....because EVERYONE KNOWS that we bottled the last 5 minutes.

It was clear to see, from the outset, that we were defending too deep trying to cut off the lanes in the last 25 meters. RM strolled to the 40M area and then sent a pass out wide about 25M out and just started from there ALL NIGHT!

Hart was superb.

Kompany was shockingly average. Maicon is another Kolarov...good wide midfielder...except Maicon is past his sell by date for the highest level. Clichy played well and for a debut in the Bernabeau I thought Nasty was very self assured and looks like a very silky find. JoLo should be afraid, very afraid!

Silva and Nasri were overrun by bigger, more powerful RM players who gave them no room to work. Yaya needs to be told either stay the fuck up and don;t come back, or don't go forward unless someone is covering for you. He played a pseudo 2nd striker today and his surging runs were phenomenal. However, he only plays defence when he is already stood around in the defensive third. Don't get me wrong, he is IMMENSE, but some games he is neither here nor there, and today, except for the surging runs he was not there! Garcia and Barry played OK, but BOTH of them were playing 18-25M from goal all night! Barry actually did get forward a time or two, but there was ZERO BREAKING DOWN OF RM'S PLAY until they got to the 25-30M mark. Sadly, that means one decent pass and they are pinging shots from all angles, which they did all night.

Tevez played everywhere and did as much as humanly possible to create, make runs, come back for the ball, etc, etc, etc...

Sadly, against the (2nd) best team in the world, we could not keep them from shooting on target in the last 6 minutes with a Back 5 and a covering 3. As soon as our 2nd goal went in, we should have been playing 4-5-1, with Dzeko as an outlet, but we persist with this 5 at the back that INVITES QUALITY OPPOSITION ON TO YOU....because they don't play with 3 or 4 attackers, but with a swarming midfield that wins the ball back immediately and then camps out around the 25M mark looking for an opening for a killer pass or shot. FFS, we watch Man U do it every fucking week in England, especially when they are drawing or a goal down, yet no-one seems to have figured out that STOPPING THE MIDFIELD FROM PLAYING is the key to stopping the forwards from getting the ball in goal scoring positions.

All that said, no-one else but City fans thought we might get something from this game, so it is more of a psychic loss than anything else, even if that lost point or three might kill us off before Christmas.

Time to forget about the CL for a few weeks and focus on not letting the Arse get a goal and stuffing them. Everyone is talking about how great they are in defense, which is a joke, but with an away win tonight and a handful of goals last weekend, it is time for the players to step up into the season. We have not really shown ANYTHING like the team that ran riot last season, but we have still scored goals. That needs to continue, with the defense getting their act together. It is time to do what Mancini did last season for the run in....PICK OUR BEST TEAM AND GIVE THEM A RUN, giving rest where needed at the 60-70 minute mark and BUILD THE FOUNDATION FOR OUR SEASON.

Onwards and upwards, CTID.

Hart
Zaba Kompany Nasty Clichy
Garcia Barry
Milner YaYa Silva
Tevez

(I'm assuming Nasri has a hamstring and Aguero is not fit.)

The fact that the FBs were constantly left in 1 vs 1 situations without any kind of support costed City two goals (and could have been more).

Shameful tactics. You have to defend Madrid's players 2 v 1 on the flanks or you will get smoked.

Only just seen the highlights as was working last night. really unlucky with a big deflection for their first, Getting really concerned about Joe's left hand side, Big shout out for Edin took his goal well.

All in all Madrid deserved the win but i really thought we'd done them listening on the radio last night.

Hope the defence is sorted out soon as its beginning to cost us prem points and could stop us winning a cup this year. Now the big test is bounce striaght back and win on sunday so no Euro hangover.

- Hart kept us in the game in the first half, but his distribution is total crap! I mean seriously shit. Him having the ball 99% of the times meant we gave it right back to Real.
- Kompany had a very bad game and looks like he still has some way to reach last seasons level of quality.
- Maicon was totally dominated by Tranny, looked very slow at times.
- Nasty looked very good considering the circumstances.
- We looked better when Silva was substituted. (worrying...)
- How Mario can be above Edin in the pecking order is a mystery.
- Yaya Toure is close to being the best player in the world. Shame he missed that chance.

We were 2-1 up at the Bernabéu against one of the top three teams in the world, with five minutes to go. I'm still not sure whether to be happy with almost winning, taking a point, or angry due to the easy goals we conceded. Some positives, but equally many negatives.

I think Real won the group last night, so it's between us, Dortmund and Ajax to battle for the second spot.

The performance was very good. Not many teams can go to the Bernabeu in such an important game and try to play football. There is only one team on the planet who could do that.

When the dust settles we will realise that in Nastasic and Garcia we have made two top class additions.

We restricted Real Madrid to taking shots from outside the area and in the end they got a bit of luck. Perhaps they earned it. Cruel game

We were lucky that Essien played. Unlucky to lose two key players to injury

Two things Madrid did very well which we could learn from:

1) Crossfield passes to get wide men one on one and Di Maria, Ronaldo c an be deadly one on one

2) Shooting from edge of area. We dominate games, but don't work the keeper enough. Marcelo, Ronaldo, Di Maria were all shooting the second they got an opportunity

Overall defeat is a defeat but there are defeats at Bayern where you are given a lesson, and defeats at Real Madrid where you know you are almost the equals of one of the world's great teams. In time the players and management will be able to take some positives from this.

Real Madrid were better but not by much

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.