Recent (-ish) City players you've never heard of

Not so much that you've never heard of him but during the Georgian invasion in the mid-90s Murtaz Shelia looked like a quality signing for us only to get a bad injury a few games in

Seen this in the Belfast Telegraph today, a guy called Chris Ramsey who was in Citys academy under Sven but i dont believe made the first team. Now with high flying Larne. The Manchester city of the Irish League. Unfortuately you have to sign in to read it all but ill quote the city related bits below.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ng-to-larne-has-saved-my-career-38428271.html

Q: Did you enjoy your time at Manchester City?

A: I was there for three years. Vincent Kompany had just signed in the year I was leaving and he gave me one of his shirts, wishing me well for the future. My brother has that No.33 shirt now. He was a beast of a man!

I was close to the kitman and before I left I was able to get Craig Bellamy's shorts and Martin Petrov's top among the first-team gear. I signed a two-year apprenticeship and a year's professional contract.

At that time the Academy was separate from the first-team training base. It was tough going but, looking back, it was the best time of my career, getting full-time training and pushing for first-team recognition.

With the reserves it was a lot less intense. Suddenly you had more free time and I struggled with that. I wish I had been more committed to the training. I could have worked more on the things I needed to work on and it was just a lack of maturity which you get through experience.

I was 18 and going along with the crowd. I'm 29 now and thinking I could have worked harder in the gym. I'm now focused on being as fit and strong as I can at Larne.

Q: Looking at how strong and professional City are now, do you feel it's tougher for Irish lads to make an impact?

A: I think a lot of players going over are establishing themselves in the lower leagues, guys like Gavin Whyte and Stuart Dallas, even Mark Sykes and Liam Boyce.

You could be one of the best players in Northern Ireland at the age of 16 but when you go to an English club you could be playing with the best young players from all over the world.

I think playing men's football in the Irish League is good preparation for a professional career.

Q: What happened to you after City?

A: I had a few trials and the biggest disappointment was at Grimsby. I was there for a few weeks, playing in different positions, and I thought I had done well but a deal didn't come. It was a big blow and I felt I wouldn't make it as a footballer.

I came home and had to take advice from my family. I had an offer from a club in Singapore but I had already been away from home for a few years and I wasn't ready to travel that far away. I ended up signing for Ballymena United.

Q: Do you have any regrets regarding that pursuit of your professional dream?

A: I think I cared too much about what people thought. I don't mind criticism from coaches or managers but I was worried what my team-mates would think if I did extra work. I know now I shouldn't have cared. What's wrong with trying to better yourself?

Sven-Goran Eriksson was the manager and, strangely, no-one did extra work in the reserves. Everything was laid-back, not many players pushed themselves. There was never a double session and City were a very different team then. I'm sure things are rather different under Pep Guardiola.

Football is a team game, and I consider myself a team player, but you've got to be selfish too and demand more from yourself.

I took my daughter to pre-season friendly against Forest Green Rovers in Stroud (I'm now exiled in Gloucestershire). Kevin Keegan had promised an old mate of his that he would bring some "Big Names". When I looked at the programme's team sheet, I didn't recognise a single player. They were all academy lads. My daughter was all decked out in blue & white and the FG fans were giving us plenty of stick. Someone on the turnstiles told me there were just 18 City fans, I'm not sure about that but nobody else cheered when we scored.
Also took said daughter to Millennium Stadium against Total Network Solutions (Europa Cup?), roof closed, stadium 3/4 roped off, not a sound.

I bet there’s not many remember Duncan Davidson or Gordon Dalziel... utter garbage

I bet there’s not many remember Duncan Davidson or Gordon Dalziel... utter garbage

I remember Davidson scoring last minute versus Swansea just about from about 10cm.

Abdul Razak in about 2013
Emyr Huws in about 2014
Chandler who came on in a champs league game for about 1 minute.

I took my daughter to pre-season friendly against Forest Green Rovers in Stroud (I'm now exiled in Gloucestershire). Kevin Keegan had promised an old mate of his that he would bring some "Big Names". When I looked at the programme's team sheet, I didn't recognise a single player. They were all academy lads. My daughter was all decked out in blue & white and the FG fans were giving us plenty of stick. Someone on the turnstiles told me there were just 18 City fans, I'm not sure about that but nobody else cheered when we scored.
Also took said daughter to Millennium Stadium against Total Network Solutions (Europa Cup?), roof closed, stadium 3/4 roped off, not a sound.

I live in Cheltenham and was at both of those games! I remember Terry Dunfield was a class above everyone else on the pitch and that Forest Green's keeper seemed a real short-arse.

As I posted, on another thread, we seem to have unwittingly cursed a number of teams who either enjoyed success, or a rare League appearance against City circa 97-99
Stockport, Bury, Oxford, Macclesfield, Lincoln, and York, have all since hosted National League football or worse
Our FA Cup opponents in 98-99 (Halfax, Darlington, and Wimbledon) all went into liquidation, and our only opponent in the enire history of the Autoglass (Mansfield) also tasted non league football.

PS: Didn't Alan Bailey score a last minute winner for Stockport at Maine Road, just a few seasons later?

Yep he certainly did a county fan friend of mine sent me a text of his name just after he scored

Also came to the Macc family funday in West Park to see us with Shaun Goater as the Macc supporters club had a stall
Mike McLean was also there that day !!!

Last edited:
Bill Williams.....
Came on as sub v Ipswich at Portman Road.... Never played again.
Got special approval from the league to re-sign for Stockport..... Preferred being part time and a painter and decorater than a full time pro

I was gonna say this bought him for £40k sold him back for £50 county were in financial trouble at the time???? Just saying?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.